Ketchikan - Deer Mountain Hatchery & Eagle Center

nycruise

Was wondering if it was worth visiting the Deer Mountain Hatchery & Eagle Center in Ketchikan. Time in port is limited on the Star (6AM - 1:30PM) and may not have time to walk Creek Street if we do the Hatchery as part of the Totem Bight tour. Has anyone done this tour? Opinions are appreciated.

We did the hatchery the second week in June. We were not impressed. Maybe if the salmon were swimming back up the creek into the hatchery, but over all we couldn't understand the narrator and it was short and sweet for $8.00 a piece. You can get the combined hatchery and totem pole tickets for $12.00 a piece. Eagle recovery consisted of an eagle sitting on a pole, no educational spill.

Cathy and I both enjoyed Deer Mountain - we walked there independently, taking the funicular up from Creek Street and then back down from there. While I think it's overpriced, what isn't in Alaska? Our guide was very good with both fish and eagles, and where else can you get eagle pictures like this - http://explorenorth.com/articles/alaskacruise2005/cruise2005-390-ketchikan-eagles-0351c.html ??

Murray

How do you get there from the dock? I have an Island Wings Flight see at 8AM, and should be back by about 10:30. Will only have a brief time till we depart about 2PM, so I’ll need to maximize my time.

Thanks,

Terry

A nice walk is to go to the end of Creek Street, take the cablecar up ($2), go through the lodge, take the stairs down and follow the signs up the road from there. The street shortcut back is pretty obvious. Mapped at http://www.expedia.ca/pub/agent.dll?wpst1=0&cnty1=4&strt1=1158+Salmon+Rd&city1=Ketchikan&stnm1=AK&zipc1=99901&regn1=0&plce1=&wppv1=&dphd1=&stpr1=&sthd1=&regp1=0&labl1=&subm=1&ccty=0&qscr=mmfn&chgr=&chsi=&chsv=&&zz=1120146414953&

Murray

We did it on our own and it was a nice walk to Creek Street and taking the funicular to it, but there wasn't a lot to see, two injured eagles, and tubs of salmon fingerlings(?) as someone mentioned. What I enjoyed the most was the totem center, and the walk to it, and back.

I too think this is a bargain option with the Totem Heritage museum. You can pick up a walking tour map at the dock visitor center. Without taking the funicular ( nice totems out back and the walk is down the "married man's trail) you can just walk up Park directly to the turn off on the right to both museums.

Archived