Why no life guards??

hladygirl

I think that parents should sign a waiver and only after they attend something like a "Muster drill" for swimming pool use would their child be issued a wristband that was required of all underage swimmers. The parents would still be required to watch their own children.

Lifeguards at the pool might seem safer but it would create an atmosphere of the so many parents having false security that someone is really watching their child. My own daughter worked "as the pool ****" (not a lifeguard) at an upscale country club and there were a number of times that she wondered if she should call children's protective services. I think we might be talking about the same population on a cruise ship.

I personally would not want to subsidize the cost of lifeguards on cruise ships. Perhaps raising the fees for children might be what is needed?

I think that parents should sign a waiver and only after they attend something like a "Muster drill" for swimming pool use would their child be issued a wristband that was required of all underage swimmers. The parents would still be required to watch their own children.

Lifeguards at the pool might seem safer but it would create an atmosphere of the so many parents having false security that someone is really watching their child. My own daughter worked "as the pool ****" (not a lifeguard) at an upscale country club and there were a number of times that she wondered if she should call children's protective services. I think we might be talking about the same population on a cruise ship.

I personally would not want to subsidize the cost of lifeguards on cruise ships. Perhaps raising the fees for children might be what is needed?

How would raising the fee for children keep them safer at the pool? I don't understand that rationale.

Enforcing rules that parents stay in the pool with their children is a great idea IMO. But how???

Edited by Karysa

Sorry I am not willing to pay a lot more for lifeguards/legal liability and most are not. It is not like there is an epidemic of drownings - and the few so far the parents/ guardian were NOT with the kids. The poor little boy on Carnival 6 years old was in the main pool and his 10 year old brother was watching him...unbelievable

Really as long as we are willing to allow this it will happen - and lifeguards won't stop it. The same sort of irresponsible parent could allow a kid to drown in the bathtub of a Haven suite.

When the parents who let kids roam or swim on their own are confronted and given restrictions and consequences then others will make better choices.

A well trained professional life guard will greatly prevent the possibility that this will occur. No prevention is full proof but the odds increase greatly that these few tragedies could be almost eleminated.

Now a weak english speaking regular cruise crewmember type put in a fancy shirt and bathingsuit to stand around and "watch" the pool will be far less useful.

Again kudos to disney and boo sucks to you all other lines that don't employ a relatively simple proactive concept. The overall cost spread between thousands of customers would likely be very minimal to your cost to cruise. You don't need 50 lifeguards.

A well trained professional life guard will greatly prevent the possibility that this will occur. No prevention is full proof but the odds increase greatly that these few tragedies could be almost eleminated.

Now a weak english speaking regular cruise crewmember type put in a fancy shirt and bathingsuit to stand around and "watch" the pool will be far less useful.

Again kudos to disney and boo sucks to you all other lines that don't employ a relatively simple proactive concept. The overall cost spread between thousands of customers would likely be very minimal to your cost to cruise. You don't need 50 lifeguards.

Then simple - go on Disney.

If you bothered to read - no one ever said the cost of the lifeguards would be the problem - it would be the legal liability.

If someone drowns with a lifeguard - then it opens it up to a whole other world of lawsuits. Swim at your own risk - just like at our association pool - the insurance and risk would be outrageous otherwise

Sucks that people can't watch their own kids IMHO -

I do think Kids security would be a good answer - and a safeguard.

Kids can also get hurt doing other stupid things - sliding down a bannister, climbing on a railing, running on a slippery pool deck - kid "security" staff can stop them right then and there....English speaking and NOT tipped - so therefore not so afraid to lose a tip and/or humble/nice

I think that parents should be given a special rule book/waiver when they get the wristbands. I think it should be mentioned in the muster and then enforced. When a few errant families are put off the ships then others will take notice. Look at that review where a single mom let her 6 year old roam the ship alone? That is crazy

Accidents happen in places other than pools

Then let's stop this!! We all must ( ok most) agree on this point at least , do we not?

Now your talking . Stop all little kids from the big pool area . It's not good for them with all the smoking, drinking, cussing and loud music .Little Kids don't belong in a bar room type atmosphere.

Then simple - go on Disney.

If you bothered to read - no one ever said the cost of the lifeguards would be the problem - it would be the legal liability.

If someone drowns with a lifeguard - then it opens it up to a whole other world of lawsuits. Swim at your own risk - just like at our association pool - the insurance and risk would be outrageous otherwise

Sucks that people can't watch their own kids IMHO -

I do think Kids security would be a good answer - and a safeguard.

Kids can also get hurt doing other stupid things - sliding down a bannister, climbing on a railing, running on a slippery pool deck - kid "security" staff can stop them right then and there....English speaking and NOT tipped - so therefore not so afraid to lose a tip and/or humble/nice

I think that parents should be given a special rule book/waiver when they get the wristbands. I think it should be mentioned in the muster and then enforced. When a few errant families are put off the ships then others will take notice. Look at that review where a single mom let her 6 year old roam the ship alone? That is crazy

I am still interested in the cost that you are willing to pay to have lifeguards on cruiseships.

Now your talking . Stop all little kids from the big pool area . It's not good for them with all the smoking, drinking, cussing and loud music .Little Kids don't belong in a bar room type atmosphere.

Interesting concept. Personally I think we should get rid of the smoking and cussing but I'm listening. How would this be done?

How would raising the fee for children keep them safer at the pool? I don't understand that rationale.

Enforcing rules that parents stay in the pool with their children is a great idea IMO. But how???

HOW??????? SET the rules for parents ....make sure they know them and sign a waiver to abide by them and when they don't . fine them

Its a real good idea when we are talking about big bad smokers . hell everyone loves to get into the act and rat them out.

How about everyone doing the same for parents who leave their kids unattended at a pool ?

I agree wholeheartedly. Every cruise pool I have been in is deep; always over my head and no "shallow end". Why would a 4-year old be allowed into a pool that deep without a parent with them? They belong in the kiddie pool; that's what it's for! And the behavior I see around the main pool is not suitable for little kids.

HOW??????? SET the rules for parents ....make sure they know them and sign a waiver to abide by them and when they don't . fine them

Its a real good idea when we are talking about big bad smokers . hell everyone loves to get into the act and rat them out.

How about everyone doing the same for parents who leave their kids unattended at a pool ?

Excellent idea. Who would you suggest "ratting" them out to. Count me in:)

I think that parents should be given a special rule book/waiver when they get the wristbands. I think it should be mentioned in the muster and then enforced.

I agree to the above (with exception to having yet another piece of paper to be signed). A simple fun well designed parent/kids booklet that tells safety and responsibilities right up front, then the activities and such available on board later that will be a daily reference would be a great solution.

I agree to the above (with exception to having yet another piece of paper to be signed). A simple fun well designed parent/kids booklet that tells safety and responsibilities right up front, then the activities and such available on board later that will be a daily reference would be a great solution.

It's the enforcing that is the issue. The staff are too afraid to tell a bozo with his disposable water bottle shoved completely up the water spout in the buffet to not do that. ( and yes I did tell the bozo and explained to him how he should do it and why )

Edited by Karysa

Get them to sign.......where I work get it signed or get it on a taped line . This way there is no "Well I thought they meant this" "I thought they said that" "I just thought it was on Monday, Wednesday and Friday , and today is Tuesday"

this way no one can give a song and dance that they didn't know what was what

They same people all the rats rat out everyone else too.

Protecting the kids is hardly ratting but who is the person to tell. Personally telling a staff member that would do something about it would be the next best thing to the child being watched by a parent. Which staff members have authority and the guts to deal with such issues?

I agree.

Sorry I am not willing to pay a lot more for lifeguards/legal liability and most are not. It is not like there is an epidemic of drownings - and the few so far the parents/ guardian were NOT with the kids. The poor little boy on Carnival 6 years old was in the main pool and his 10 year old brother was watching him...unbelievable

Really as long as we are willing to allow this it will happen - and lifeguards won't stop it. The same sort of irresponsible parent could allow a kid to drown in the bathtub of a Haven suite.

When the parents who let kids roam or swim on their own are confronted and given restrictions and consequences then others will make better choices.

So what would you cc members be willing to pay for a lifeguard or other measure to keep the kids safe at the pools? I am looking for $ or cents per day or per week. Let the cruiselines worry about the liability issues or they can call Disney cruiseline and get the facts and cost on that.

Per cruiser what is the extra cost that you are willing to spend to decrease the number and hopefully eliminate drownings and near drownings of small children on cruiseships? For sure $20 per week would not phase me in the least and I would go significantly higher than that. Where would you draw the line $0, $3.50, $7, $10, $20, $25, $50???? Per week.

Edited by Karysa

So what would you cc members be willing to pay for a lifeguard or other measure to keep the kids safe at the pools? quote]

Zero dollars.

as in nothing. Zip. Nada.

There isn't a need for a lifeguard at the ship's pool.

The report from the Breakaway this week of a 4 year old drowning and a near drowning of a 6 year old makes feel that something other than the status quo needs to be done. Thank you for answering my question though.

So what would you cc members be willing to pay for a lifeguard or other measure to keep the kids safe at the pools? I am looking for $ or cents per day. Let the cruiselines worry about the liability issues or they can call Disney cruiseline and get the facts and cost on that.

Per cruiser what is the extra cost that you are willing to spend to decrease the number and hopefully eliminate drownings and near drownings of small children on cruiseships? For sure $20 per week would not phase me in the least and I would go significantly higher than that. Where would you draw the line $0, $3.50, $7, $10, $20, $25, $50????

The question really is not what a cc member is willing to pay - the question is what the cc member is willing to require every other cruiser to pay for lifeguards on all cruise ships, many of which do not cater to large numbers of children.

So what would you cc members be willing to pay for a lifeguard or other measure to keep the kids safe at the pools? I am looking for $ or cents per day or per week. Let the cruiselines worry about the liability issues or they can call Disney cruiseline and get the facts and cost on that.

Per cruiser what is the extra cost that you are willing to spend to decrease the number and hopefully eliminate drownings and near drownings of small children on cruiseships? For sure $20 per week would not phase me in the least and I would go significantly higher than that. Where would you draw the line $0, $3.50, $7, $10, $20, $25, $50???? Per week.

We would not be paying for a lifeguard. The cruise line would be paying. Whether the cruise line would increase the cruise fare, absorb the cost out of profits or cut back some other area is up to them.

The cruise line should hire lifeguards as part of the general safety of all passengers, not just small children. They should also enforce pool rules (and pool etiquette).

The report from the Breakaway this week of a 4 year old drowning and a near drowning of a 6 year old makes feel that something other than the status quo needs to be done. Thank you for answering my question though.

I agree with the person that said there should be a type of muster station presentation for those with children, say under the age of 10. It should be done in each and every language that the passengers speak and should go over all the safety hazzards for children on a ship. This way no one can say they didn't know. This would (1) hopefully help with the safety of the children on board and (2) protect NCL from any liabilities. It should go over not only pool safety, but go over issues of leaving a young child unattended and the hazzards; such as, falling overboard, sexual predators, etc. And while they are at it, do a section on why children should not use their hands to pick up food at the buffet.