Review - Alaska cruise tour #13 July 12-26, 2013

Terry - when you have uploaded the picture you would like to add to this site - click on the picture - to the right (as you look at the screen) there is a box that says "links to share this picture" - find the "img" link click on it (it will say copied) then come here and I use "control" "V" - then I preview the post to make sure it was the picture I wanted before I hit submit. Hope that helps.

DSC_0541.jpg

014_zpsd0cd7d54.jpg

Sorry forgot to mention cruise tour #13

Land portion - Fairbanks, Denali. Talkeetna. Anchorage, Alyeska, Seward - Cruise portion - Seward, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Icy Strait, Skagway, Ketchikan

Okay here goes nothing- Day 1 Friday July 12, 2013 Winnipeg to Fairbanks

As we are from Canada we had to take three flights and we knew it would be a long day so flew out a day before. Winnipeg to Vancouver, BC, Vancouver to Anchorage, Anchorage to Fairbanks - arrival time 4pm (as they are 3 hours behind it was going to be a long day). Eventful to say the least. Arrived at the airport around 5:30am (central time) and as we had checked in on line for the first two legs of our trip (Air Canada) figured we could obtain our boarding passes for the last flight at the airport. The girl at Air Canada stated as the last leg was on a different carrier she couldn't check us in (Air Alaska) and we would have to check in Anchorage (first panic attack) as we only had an hour in Anchorage I was a bit worried that we wouldn't be able to get off the flight, find the gate and check in in that little amount of time. Yikes! Oh well would have to just wait and hope for the best.

So it begins, Winnipeg - Vancouver - Go thru security in Winnipeg and get pulled aside as I had set off the alarms. Turns out there is a shank in my sandels that set off the alarm, so wand wave and okay you can go Whew.

Vancouver to Anchorage - no more grab your bags, haul them thru the long airport to customs, declare, put them on another belt and once again find your gate and wait. Haven't travel to the US in two years, but boy has that changed. Now you go to customs with your declaration sheet and you look at your luggage on a TV monitor, say yes those are your bags and away you go. That is so awesome.

Anchorage to Fairbanks - panic now sets in - how to get off the plane, find our gate, check in, & get boarding pass all in less than 55 minutes. Turns out no big deal (panic averted). Get off the plane, find the gate (easy as Anchorage is a small airport) go to the desk at the gate and they check you in and hand you your boarding pass all in about 15 minutes. Still have time to check out the Anchorage Airport.

Okay arrived in Fairbanks, now I can relax NOT. Now the fun begins. Get off the plane, and go to get our luggage. OH OH one piece is missing HELP. My checked luggage is there, but not Tim's, Well we find out that apparently this happens all the time. Go to the Air Alaska with the other 5-7 couples and find out that the luggage in still in Anchorage and will show up sometime today. The young man at the counter promises that the luggage should be in no later than the 9pm flight (remember this is at 4 in the afternoon). The clerk also stated that since we were on a cruise tour and IF the bag didn't show up before we left on Sunday they know to contact RRCL and the bag will be delivered to us on the way. Here we go again, panic sets in, do we believe him? or should we go shopping for Tim. Luckily we are in a day early so I wont go ballistic until at least Saturday night (if the bags don't show up). Okay pick up rental car (some good news, they have upgraded us, to a shiny new Toyota Camry) nice car. Off to our new adventure. Check in at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, check out the room and away we go.

As we have had luggage lost before and didn't see the lost piece for a week, decide we better go shopping for at least the essentials for Tim (I mean he doesn't even have a tooth brush). Wow if you ever go to Fairbanks check out their Wal Mart, what a store. They have a large section just dedicated to souvenirs. People you don't need to go anywhere else in Fairbanks if you want T-Shirts, and nicknacks to remember your trip by. T shirts, & fridge magnets are what Tim always gets from our travels, so besides the essentials he is buying his first souvenir. So for now he is a happy camper. Did some sightseeing and back to the lodge by 930pm and tho and behold no bag and no message. Well not much we can do at this point but kick back, have something to eat and enjoy our first day in Fairbanks, will deal with the insurance company in the morning if the bag doesn't show up.

Thanks Betty I think I finally got it

Terry - when you have uploaded the picture you would like to add to this site - click on the picture - to the right (as you look at the screen) there is a box that says "links to share this picture" - find the "img" link click on it (it will say copied) then come here and I use "control" "V" - then I preview the post to make sure it was the picture I wanted before I hit submit. Hope that helps.

DSC_0541.jpg

195_zps120f2178.jpg

Day 3 - Denali to Talkeetna

Up early again, went and got a coffee and just enjoyed the fabulous view from the top. Bags out by 10, left the Grande at around 11:30 for the train station. Glad to leave the Grande and get back on the train. Looking forward to Talkeetna. Back on the train. This leg we had Joel & Tim. Not as good as the day before. Our beverage guy didn't even move from his station at the front, just kept looking around. Janell had been great the day before making sure everyone had something to drink if they wanted.

Four hours on the train this time. Saw a couple of moose and we actually got to see the tip of Mount McKinley (most of the mountain was shrouded in mist. ) The mountain is so high it makes its own weather so you never know if you are going to see it (but we did so we are now part of the 30% club). Had lunch on the train. I had the prime rib sandwich, Alaskan fries and a pickle. DH had reindeer chilli. Both were really good. DH had a brownie with ice cream for desert and I had a piece of berry pie. Coming into the station we saw the big town of Talkeenta (don't blink you will miss it). Looking forward to going down into the town, it looks really neat. Back onto the coach and driven to the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge. OMG what a place. Beautiful grounds, massive lodge. Had room 334 this time.

What a nice room and resort. Went into the base camp bistro for supper. Not really hungry after the lunch on the train so I had clam chowder, Asian pot stickers and a beer sampler (4 different beers in small glasses). I am not a beer drinker but told DH that this trip I wanted to try all the different Alaskan beers (there are lots of different kinds) so the samplers worked well for me as if I didn't like the beer DH would drink it as he likes beer (well most beers).

Denali mother ale - not bad, very light beer, Denali single engine red (apparently had won awards) didn't like it at all DH finished it, Alaskan white - had this one in Denali and liked it but Paul one of the other tour directors had told me to squeeze in the orange and boy did the orange changed the taste. Alaska APA - my favorite, tasted like beer with grapefruit (tried to find this in other stops, but each place has different beers so Talkeentna was the only place I found this one and haven't found it since I have been home.

Highlight of day (laundry) LOL. Went back to the room and found there was a laundry in the lodge so did some laundry. Explored the lodge while the laundry was going,

Woke up at 445am (yeah I know) but it is nice to just sit outside with your coffee and cigarette and enjoy the fabulous scenery and the quiet. Strange that I woke up so early as didn't fall asleep till after 1230, but this is what it was like for me the whole trip. Got up and went to see if the mountain was go to show herself, she wasn't going to co-operate (the lodge offers a wakeup call - if the mountain comes out in the night they will call you). Oh the evening before had to repack after the laundry, as clean clothes don't take up as much room as scrunched up dirty laundry. While repacking couldn't find the bag with the souvenirs I had bought at the lodge. Once again panic sets in. Called the front desk and the girl at the bistro had handed in the bag to the front desk. Panic averted. So far DH has bought many magnets and thirts, myself a couple of Xmas ornaments. I have fallen in love with the inside, backward art on the glass ornaments so am paying more than usual for the Xmas ornaments. Bonus this time Talkeenta lodge had commissioned the artist to paint the lodge on the Xmas ornament so bought this one and it wasn't bad only $19 this time. As I said bought my first in the North Pole ($35) but had fallen in love with this sort of tear drop shape and it was a melting snowman on it and the caption "You melt my heart". Couldn't resist.

Yeah I know $35 a lot for one ornament but fell in love with it so DH said go ahead and buy it. Second one I bought here in Talkeenta shows a beautiful picture of the lodge with the name of the lodge painted from inside, backwards. I had to ask the girl in the lodge if the price was $19 as it seems so cheap after the first one. SOLD. Both are numbered and come with a certificate of authenticity.

Off to the big town of Talkeenta (cant wait) I have been waiting a year to see this town. Have watched programs about this town and it looked really neat. Nice little town. As it was recommended to try the Roadhouse for breakfast we went early as we knew they would be packed. Didn't tell DH about the seating arrangements. Long tables where you sit with other travellers and locals alike. Got to meet a lot of nice people. DH ordered the breakfast wrap, hash browns, eggs, bacon and milk. I ordered 1/2 a standard. Note unless you eat a lot only order the 1/2 order, believe me it is a lot. Hash browns, scrambled eggs, large piece of texas toast and reindeer sausage. Large portions, could of split my breakfast with DH. Didn't eat 1/2 of the 1/2. Coffee and apple butter for the toast.

Loved the town of Talkeenta and when we go back to Alaska (no ifs about it) will make sure to stop there. Fabulous locals, nice little shops, quirky little town, what a change from t-shirt and jewelry stores. We spent many hours wandering around this small little town. Nice relaxing day.

Oh one other sidebar. Our shuttle driver told us this one. While sitting around the entrance at the lodge, take a look at the stone pillars, see if you can find the animals in the pillars, bunny rabbit 2x, turtle, star fish, bear paw, and a cross. I showed him one he didn't mention, a cave man. We would definitely stay here again for the scenery, the nice little and the fantastic staff.

Loved Pike's DH and I are already talking about doing a road trip next year and just driving to Fairbanks. From here it is only about 2 days. I loved Fairbanks and the area, would definitely stay at Pikes again. We might just drive to the Yukon as we are Canadian we wouldn't have to deal with customs if we stay in Canada and we saw very little of the Yukon on our first time in Alaska. Two options but we have till next summer to decide.

Terry - nice picture - I am looking forward to spending several days there next week.

208_zpsb8b76b73.jpg

Here are some photo's of the quaint town of Talkeenta - I will definitely be going back there - loved that little town.

July 16 - Talkeetna to Anchorage

207_zps2d5d07c7.jpg

Spent the morning exploring the quaint town and then back to the Lodge for pickup for the next leg of our trip

July 16 Talkeenta to Anchorage

Boarded the train around 4pm. Train ride was uneventful but lots of scenery and saw more animals along the way. Had supper on the train - me herbed chicken and cheesecake - DH had reindeer sausage & pasta - berry pie for desert. Must say the food was fabulous on all 3 legs of the train ride. Got into Anchorage around 830pm. Still light out of course. No big deal, it is just another big town. Anchorage Mariott was okay, but liked the lodges a whole lot better. Make a quick trip to Polar Gifts to get a souvenir and back to the hotel. Went out for a smoke and of course approached by pan handlers for money and smokes. We even had one young man go right up and start picking the butts out of the ashtray while we were all standing there. Typical downtown. One thing everyone went to the ULU factory in Anchorage to buys their ULU knives apparently cheaper here. Be forewarned tho the ship will take them when you board and you wont have them returned to you until the end of the cruise.

[/url]

257_zpse98d69ad.jpg

View from our window at the Anchorage Marriott.

Archived