Minisuites on Star

osofish2

We are planning our third cruise to Hawaii in Febuary or March of 2014, our first trip on the Star We are debating getting a mini on Dolphin or Emerald. We know about the covered/uncovered balconies, and possible noise issues. Does anyone have any imput or recommendations that will help us make a decision? Also, Hawaii cruises just went on further sale-WhooHoo.

We have cruised in both Emerald Deck and Dolphin Deck mini-suites, and the covered/uncovered balcony is the only difference. If you have privacy issues you would want Emerald Deck--nobody can look into your balcony. But we have never had a problem on Dolphin Deck--people have always been very respectful of our privacy. Sure, somebody is going to glance down once in a while, but no gawkers.

My wife doesn't like the sound of the ocean as much as I do--I love it; it is pretty pronounced on Emerald Deck, as the minis are only at the back, and going up one deck to Dolphin Deck doesn't make much difference--to avoid it you need to go more midship on Dolphin Deck.

The only other consideration: because of the covering over Emerald Deck, the staterooms and balconies are a little darker than the sunnier and airier Dolphin Deck minis. Personally, I prefer the ambience of Dolphin Deck.

We stayed in E729 on the Star to Alaska in May and loved the cabin. It had an extended balcony and was fully covered. I'm not sure if the link below will work, but these are photos that I submitted to cruisedeckplans dot com from that cabin. Good luck in your decision. We would book the same cabin the next time we are on the Star or that class of ship.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/zenphoto/index.php?album=Star+Princess%2FCat+Mini+Suite%2FStateroom+E729+%232

Archived