Good things about Getaway Fares

Merlin Cruiser

You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel now Dai to keep up your P&O cheerleading.

How, it is when you are wrong you have a go at me. If the facts are correct then accept them. Celebrity do exactly what P&O and Princess and NCL and everyone else does try to fill cabins by offering discounts in one way or the other.

You persist in knocking P&O, I am only pointing out that they all do the same thing.

But you keep on having a go at me and then I know I am winning and right.

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good things about Getaway Fares?

Simple. It persuaded me, a cruise virgin, to give it a try. I have been trying to persuade my wife a few times over the years about giving it a go but she was more interested in swimming with the fish in the Red Sea every year. Now, because of the price we got on a Getaway fare we are now going for 14 days to the Canary Isles.

Okay, we have been to most of the Canary Isles many times in the past but decided that for the price (which has now gone up to virtually double for what we paid for it - still as a Getaway) it was worth taking the plunge.

We can't choose a cabin. Well what the hell, I can't choose a hotel room when I book a package holiday so whats the problem?

I'm going in less than 3 weeks time and am looking forward tremendously to it. If I don't like it I know what to do next time. On the other hand if I like it, it may make me book another cruise up (and to be fair I've already got my eye on one for next year which I can book on the ship if necessary before the 28/02/14 to get the extra OBS ;) )

But on Celebrity some people get their drinks thrown in and some do not, so there is a difference there. This is just the same as some people getting extra OBC. You cannot get away from it.

How, it is when you are wrong you have a go at me. If the facts are correct then accept them. Celebrity do exactly what P&O and Princess and NCL and everyone else does try to fill cabins by offering discounts in one way or the other.

You persist in knocking P&O, I am only pointing out that they all do the same thing.

But you keep on having a go at me and then I know I am winning and right.

Dai

Dai, Dai, Dai, You really must stop assuming that everyone who makes a critical comment about P&O is wrong, and you as champion cheerleader are always right.

I'm not sure why you think Celebrities free drinks package is a pointer in your favour, but even with that and $300 OBC as my 2 items from their 123go offer, it would not compensate me for the extra £805pp that my September cruise currently costs vs the price I paid last April.

Contrast that with most of P&O's current extra OBC offers, where the majority of current prices remain the same as the early booking offers, leaving most early bookers out of pocket by the new OBC, and paying considerably more than the best getaway or equivalent deals

However I shall reserve judgement until all the new summer 2015 brochures are out, and if P&O are offering a cruise I fancy at a competitive price, then I might be interested. But I am not holding my breath.

Edited by terrierjohn

But on Celebrity some people get their drinks thrown and some do not, so there is a difference there. This is just the same as some people getting extra OBC. You cannot get away from it.

But if you watch the Celebrity and RCI prices when drinks packages are offered the cruise price has gone up usually by about £200 per person for UK cruiser i.e you are actually paying for your drinks. Remains to be seen whether P&O can be competive when the 2015 brochures are published. Here is hoping then can and do as they seem to be upsetting various passenger groups.

But if you watch the Celebrity and RCI prices when drinks packages are offered the cruise price has gone up usually by about £200 per person for UK cruiser i.e you are actually paying for your drinks. Remains to be seen whether P&O can be competive when the 2015 brochures are published. Here is hoping then can and do as they seem to be upsetting various passenger groups.

Although I thought that was the case, if you took the lowest allocated Balcony grade of 2D before and after the reintroduction of the free drinks package and free tips (or $300 OBC) the basic price stayed the same so the extras were a bonus. What changed was that Gauranteed cabins were removed.

Last year we booked a RCI transatlantic 6 months out with a free drink package thrown in and after the promotion ended the price never reduced and was $300 pp at times. Its not always clear cut.

Edited by kevinyork

I have only ever managed to go on a cruise due to the discounted fares, our first cruise was with Cunard, a two day taster cruise, which gave us the bug and now we have had two more mini breaks and have just booked up for a three day cruise to Bruges on the Azura. We are paying about £100 per day each for a balcony cabin. I do not consider myself riff-raff, we are just a couple who want to spend a few days together without the children and enjoy a little bit of luxury. The getaway fare allows us to do this but I personally think it is still a considerable amount of money and I wouldn't expect a lot of people would do it as you can get a cheap all inclusive in Spain for a lot less than this. The rudest people I found were those on the Queen Victoria, they were pushy, rude to the staff and spent a lot of time complaining about how things had changed.