Dreams And Altos de Chevron

jkjmt

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how that would work because they're in different areas. you're taking a taxi to Bayahibe to enjoy Dreams, and I know there are tours from Bayahibe along the coast and up the river but I doubt you're in port long enough for something like that. You could google for independent tours and see if they can recommend something.

• 4 weeks later...

Altos de Chavon (not Chevron) is a fascinating place, a re-creation of a medieval European village conceived from the imagination of Roberto Copa, a former Paramount Pictures set designer, and well worth a visit, but there's no beach because it's not on the coast but up in the hills, part of the Casa de Campo resort complex.

Edited by Langoustine

It will be tricky to do both because...

Altos de Chavon is inside the private grounds of Casa de Campo (CDC) which is 5 minutes from port plus a further 10 minutes drive inside CDC. If you take a private taxi there I believe you'll have to pay $US25 pp entrance fee.

Altos de Chavon can also be accessed by a shuttle bus tour on sale at a kiosk in the port (price used to be $US5pp but not sure if this is still so). To reach Dreams afterwards you will need to find a taxi - the price of which will depend on the number in your group and your negotiation skills for the round trip.

Dreams resort is a further 15 minutes from CDC. You have to reserve your day pass ($60pp double check the price with Dreams) in advance. You can only enter via the main entrance on the road (ie not from the beach in Bayahibe). If arriving by private taxi your name must be on their list at reception. If arriving by shared-designated-Port-to-Dreams-taxi then I believe it's not a problem.

However, once inside Dreams you can not leave and then re-enter. So you'll need to do Altos de Chavon first.

Your ship will dock at 9am and you should be able disembark within 30 minutes. So you could do: 9.30 to 11.30 Altos de Chavon then go onto Dreams. Count on 30 minutes (to be safe) to get back to port (most cruise taxis leave Bayahibe between 3 to 3.30pm if the ship is sailing at 5pm).

Good luck!

Thank you lifesabeach.....I just reserved a day pass at Dreams.....it sounds like to much could go wrong trying to accomplish both.... :( When we're on excursions on our own....I like to have all the arrangements made and trying to get a taxi from one location to another to another is scary to me. We'll just go and relax and maybe next time we're in Domican Republic we'll try to go to Altos de Chavron.

Edited by jkjmt

We'll just go and relax and maybe next time we're in Domican Republic we'll try to go to Altos de Chavron.

Or just return for a longer visit next time!:)

We spent a day with Seavis on our only cruise to La Romana and loved the area so much that we're spending 2 weeks at Dreams next spring so we can see more. Absolutely gorgeous area around Bayahibe and on the islands, wish you were going to experience that while there.

Lifesabeach was very helpful to us as well, very knowledgable of the area.

Thanks!

UPDATE to my last post!: I was at Altos de Chavon last week and on cruise days there are plenty of taxis around to take you to Bayahibe etc. Wear comfortable shoes to walk on the cobblestones. I was there at midday and it was HOT - for me it was too hot n sweaty to walk around (August/Sept are the hottest months here).

@jkjmt It is possible to visit both places as you have already reserved your day pass at Dreams you won't have problems entering.

You just need to negotiate and confirm a price and itinerary for the whole trip with a taxi driver at port. Most drivers speak some English but it may help to write down clearly the times and places you want to visit so that there is no misunderstanding.

Make sure to ask what (if any) is the entry fee to Altos (for cruise passengers it might be less than the $US25 I stated in my previous post). Sorry to be vague but it's been difficult, even for a resident, to find out solid pricing and information, everyone tells you different!

You should pay your driver the whole fare on the return journey to port.

To give you a rough idea of taxi prices, port to Bayahibe to port is around $US60-65 per minivan, 1-6 passengers / 7-11 passengers at $US10pp. A detour to Altos will be at additional cost.

Casa de Campo entrance is 3 minutes east of port.

Altos de Chavon is 10 minutes drive inside of Casa de Campo.

Dreams/Bayahibe is 15 minutes east of Casa de Campo.

If you do visit Altos make sure to say Hi to Margaritta the resident donkey... she makes this face when asking for beer! Have fun!

n1wbqq.jpg

• 3 months later...
UPDATE to my last post!: I was at Altos de Chavon last week and on cruise days there are plenty of taxis around to take you to Bayahibe etc. Wear comfortable shoes to walk on the cobblestones. I was there at midday and it was HOT - for me it was too hot n sweaty to walk around (August/Sept are the hottest months here).

@jkjmt It is possible to visit both places as you have already reserved your day pass at Dreams you won't have problems entering.

You just need to negotiate and confirm a price and itinerary for the whole trip with a taxi driver at port. Most drivers speak some English but it may help to write down clearly the times and places you want to visit so that there is no misunderstanding.

Make sure to ask what (if any) is the entry fee to Altos (for cruise passengers it might be less than the $US25 I stated in my previous post). Sorry to be vague but it's been difficult, even for a resident, to find out solid pricing and information, everyone tells you different!

You should pay your driver the whole fare on the return journey to port.

To give you a rough idea of taxi prices, port to Bayahibe to port is around $US60-65 per minivan, 1-6 passengers / 7-11 passengers at $US10pp. A detour to Altos will be at additional cost.

Casa de Campo entrance is 3 minutes east of port.

Altos de Chavon is 10 minutes drive inside of Casa de Campo.

Dreams/Bayahibe is 15 minutes east of Casa de Campo.

If you do visit Altos make sure to say Hi to Margaritta the resident donkey... she makes this face when asking for beer! Have fun!

n1wbqq.jpg

Is the taxi prices round trip or one way? Can you set up a time for them for a return or does Dreams have taxis waiting to return you to the port?