Livorno shuttle to train station

speedinbk

It has been rumored that NCL is offering a shuttle bus to the train station. Can anyone confirm if NCL is offing a shuttle bus this year for its customers to the train station?

Edited by speedinbk

• 7 months later...
It has been rumored that NCL is offering a shuttle bus to the train station. Can anyone confirm if NCL is offing a shuttle bus this year for its customers to the train station?

I know this is an old "thread" can anyone confirm if this is true? What is the cost for the shuttle?

I speak from NCL experience, but it is the port who run the shuttles. Last year I think it was $15 each into the town centre. From there you buy bus tickets, the bus then takes you to the train station.

It's a bit of a faff. If I were to do it again, I would either do a tour on your own type package or look at a private excursion. You might get a better response on the ports thread. There are taxis waiting at the port both inside and outside, but these will be after longer excursions and not wanting a one way fare to the train station. Allow an hour to get to the station.

There is an excellent video on utube that shows you how to do it and also an excellent Carnival Legend review with photos.

We have been several times with NCL to Livorno and, unless we have really missed something, we have never seen a train station shuttle. As mentioned above, there is a (mandatory) port bus from ship to city center. From there, the train station is a bit far, but you can take the local bus that stops near the drop off point. This bus can be extremely crowded, though, and beware of pick pockets. Taxi's are also near the drop off point, but will only agree to take you on excursions, no matter what, and can be extremely expensive, so this is not an option. The drop off point is also the place where third parties offer relatively cheap coach shuttles to Pisa and Lucca and Florence. This could be a practical alternative to the train.

Edited by Aladdin1968

I speak from NCL experience, but it is the port who run the shuttles. Last year I think it was $15 each into the town centre. From there you buy bus tickets, the bus then takes you to the train station.

It's a bit of a faff. If I were to do it again, I would either do a tour on your own type package or look at a private excursion. You might get a better response on the ports thread. There are taxis waiting at the port both inside and outside, but these will be after longer excursions and not wanting a one way fare to the train station. Allow an hour to get to the station.

There is an excellent video on utube that shows you how to do it and also an excellent Carnival Legend review with photos.

Thanks everyone for your replies....another quick question are the shuttles really $15 per person, very expensive for my family of 4 that would be $60 seems like a lot, I think I remember seeing $5 per person.

Thanks everyone for your replies....another quick question are the shuttles really $15 per person, very expensive for my family of 4 that would be $60 seems like a lot, I think I remember seeing $5 per person.

I'm pretty sure It was only $5. If it had been $15 then I'm sure we'd have remembered that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCL's FLorence on your own excursion is $99 for my trip in July but I found another cruise excursion site thanks to the European ports board that is almost half that at $59.50. They even meet you at the ship with their bus and drive your right into Florence.

While I plan to use trains and other public transport for both Naples and Rome, I figure with the time and effort it would take to get to public transportation, it's worth it to spend just a little more to make it easy on myself to get to Florence.

NCL's FLorence on your own excursion is $99 for my trip in July but I found another cruise excursion site thanks to the European ports board that is almost half that at $59.50. They even meet you at the ship with their bus and drive your right into Florence.

While I plan to use trains and other public transport for both Naples and Rome, I figure with the time and effort it would take to get to public transportation, it's worth it to spend just a little more to make it easy on myself to get to Florence.

I always use public transport if it's possible, but I have to say that getting to the station at Livorno and back is a bit of a pain. At that price I think I'd be tempted to use the excursion.

I always use public transport if it's possible, but I have to say that getting to the station at Livorno and back is a bit of a pain. At that price I think I'd be tempted to use the excursion.

I agree with that assessment, although what we do is get a taxi back to the ship from the train station. As others have said, you cannot get a taxi ride to the station as they are looking for much bigger fares!

For the Canadian family of 4 who posted, we once hired a car in Livorno (5 of us) right on the pier. We came off the gangway, and there is a small area sectioned off for hire cars. We found it no problem to drive, although we did Lucca and Pisa but not Florence having been before. Only downside for North Americans is you will not easily get an automatic transmission, it will be gear operated as 95% of European automobiles are!

Edited by hamrag