baggage tags/bus transfer

1cruiselvr

I'm sure this question has been asked before but when I did a search, I didn't get answers to my specific question - if flying, then taking the CL bus transportation to the port, when is the best time to apply your cruise tags onto baggage? Do you pick up your own luggage from the airport and then schlep it to the bus? Do they load and unload the luggage for you? Do you see your luggage again after loading it on the bus or is it unloaded and given to the porters for you? This is the first time I will be using the CL sponsored transportation from airport to cruise terminal so I want to make sure I understand the process. Thanks for being patient and answering a basic cruise question. Happy Sailing!

We put our tags on before we fly, but they always send us more than we need so we have them ready in case the originals get torn off. You are required to pick up your own luggage. When you get to the pick-up area look for an NCL representative. They will check your name and direct you where to go. In Miami they loaded our luggage on the bus, then unloaded it at the pier. We had to point it out to a porter and one guy was "accepting" tips :). In New York, they collected from each person (at that time it was $2 each) and we had to point out our luggage. In San Juan it was put on a truck and we didn't see it again until the room.

A note of caution: when you turn your bags into the skycap or ticket person at the airline check in counter, tell them that the NCL tags need to be kept on. On our last trip, the skycap started removing one thinking it was an old tag. Once he was told, he understood and it is the only such problem we ever had.

I think the idea of putting them on before flying is that if somehow your luggage gets separated from you, they can see that it's due to go on a ship and may be able to forward it in time. We carry the extras in case they get torn off.

Archived