Want Your Impression of Le Harve Shore Excursion to D-Day Beaches & Bayeux Tapestry

wolfpackmom

We are considering this shore excursion with X in October, and I would like some feedback on what you thought about it (please no suggestions on private tours, as we are only considering a shore excursion). I know it will be a long day (10-12 hrs), but did you enjoy it? Are you glad you went? Were you totally exhausted when you returned to the ship or were you able to relax a bit, shower and go to dinner?

Wolfpackmom,

Since you aren't getting a response, I would recommend that you go to D Day beaches if you have never gone before. I went on private tour with my Dad from Cherbourg and we retraced his steps from Utah beach, through St. Lo and back to liberation of Cherbourg. I had heard many stories from my Dad about WWII, but actually seeing it and going to the museums was very moving. We had an 8 hour tour, but were thoroughly exhausted but we went through emotions of retracing his steps and having celebration at town he helped liberate.

The people at dinner that took ship's shore excursion from Cherbourg, enjoyed the excursion.

It's a part of history that too many people are forgetting.

I can't give you any recommendation with regards to the shore excursion because we take our car to this part of France. My partner is an officer in the Royal Navy Reserve and is very interested in anything military and WWI and II history.

Neither of us are old enough to be involved in the war and both our fathers were not involved in the DDay landings. However, we have visited all the beaches and museums along the coast. I was very impressed with the museum at Utah Beach and my partner was more impressed with the Pegasus bridge museum. We both agreed that Juno Beach was the least interesting. We have visited a lot of the smaller museums too, plus the huge Caen Memorial Musem one wet afternoon.

To visit any of these places is an emotional experience and really makes you think about the atrocities that those men endured.

We loved the Bayeux Tapestry and it is extremely well preserved considering how old it is. Bayeux is a really nice town. We attended the Bayeux DDay Commemoration Service this year.

I would advise you to do the trip if you are interested in the history. In addition, it is a really pretty part of France.

OP: since you've ruled out a private tour, do you have some alternative plan if you don't do an excursion with X? I haven't done the tour with X (we took a fantastic tour with Overlord Tours), but if the alternative is not to see the D-Day beaches at all, I would go with X (unless you have no interest in history). It seems a bonus that they are taking you into Bayeux as well; I would love to go back and spend time in that town, it looked lovely from our drive through.

Just walking through the American Cemetery in Normandy is an incredibly moving experience. And then stepping out onto one of the landing beaches, walking out to the water and turning around to face the shore, imagining all the guns firing at you...

I highly recommend watching (or re-watching) "The Longest Day" before your visit. Yes, a bit cheesy, but great history and you will really appreciate your visit even more.

AmericanCemeteryNormandy_zps04ebd69c.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

We took this tour several years ago. It was worthwhile and as was pointed out the beaches and the American Cemetery are must sees. It is a very long day with a lot of time on the bus on the way back. You will be glad you saw the sites. You might consider a private tour, but that is up to you.

Archived