Passport Question

Cruiser-66

My husband and I are cruising with our two grandsons age 14 and 16. Do they need to have a passport to fly and cruise? My initial thought was yes, but they my not use it again before it expires. They are expensive, so to have one and not really need it would not be a good choice. If they don't need it what do they need as far as ID.? They both have a drivers license with photo on it.

My husband and I are cruising with our two grandsons age 14 and 16. Do they need to have a passport to fly and cruise? My initial thought was yes, but they my not use it again before it expires. They are expensive, so to have one and not really need it would not be a good choice. If they don't need it what do they need as far as ID.? They both have a drivers license with photo on it.

It depends on where you are flying and cruise to and from. Give us the ship and itinerary and more folks will be able to give you the right answer

If you are flying within the United States they will not need a passport. If you are taking a "closed loop cruise", that departs and ends in the same U.S. port then they will only need their birth certificates.

You will need a notarized letter from both of your grandson's parents authorizing you to take them out of the country and giving you permission to authorize any medical issues that may come up. This is important.

Take care,

Mike

I got my teens passports ( books ) ONLY because the passport cards / birth certificates are NOT good for flying out of the country/ back in.

Now a passport card is valid for LAND border crossings...

and a Birth certificate is fine for closed loops...

I was just worried about emergencies.. ( Like an emergency back home.. or us missing the ship in a foreign port ! )

I just traveled with my two girls out of New Orleans, and used their birth certificates with no problem. Just make sure they're the authentic certificates with the raised seal on them. I also had a letter of consent, signed by my husband, because he was not traveling with us. We had a notary from our bank notarize the letter for free. Carnival never asked for the letter, but I felt much better having it!

There is a nice letter here that you can print out:

http://seauonboard.com/Parental%20Authorization.htm

Oh, and for peace of mind, I recommend calling Carnival and verifying what documents are required for travel. I knew birth certificates were all my kids needed, but I felt so much better hearing that from a Carnival rep :p I bet I checked my document envelope 1000 times on the drive down to New Orleans, just to make sure I had everything and it didn't fall out of the car or something lol My husband usually takes care of all that stuff, and I just knew I was going to screw up!

Archived