Will we be the only ' young people' ?

Lovely other

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]What are "OAP's"?[/B]

[/quote]

Sail, I had no idea either. I inferred that it could mean retired persons. Guess I was right.

To OP, You WILL NOT BE THE YOUNGEST PERSON ON THE SHIP. That distinction goes to the infants, then children, then teens, and finally to my son's age group, the 20 somethings.

Of the six HA cruises we've taken, all age demographics were represented.

As to the rude behavior you were subjected to on your last cruise, IMO those people were not only rude but ignorant as well.

Your hair? Well, I teach in a high school, so I probably wouldn't even look twice. LOL. Most of my students dress outlandishly (for a school setting) and wear their hair in rainbow colors with everything from almost shaved to thousands of braids. My take? Each to his own.

Be warned, however, that you may get some stares for the hair.

[quote name='sapper1']We in Canada know. Everyone over 65 receives what the government calls an old age pension, therefore we are OAP's. I really think they could come up with a better name for it but there you have it.[/QUOTE]
Or for those of us younger folks, we have to wait til we are 67 under the new rules!

OAP is a pretty common term in the UK. May not be the nicest, but I don't know if senior citizen sounds any better.

I laughed at my MIL (82) complained about her last cruise on the Statendam to Alaska. She thought there were too many old people on board. My in laws have booked their next cruise to Alaska in September. So she must not have been upset about the old folks!

Lovely Other...Wow is all I can say. I'm sorry that you had anxiety prior to booking. I have 3 HAL cruises under my belt- 2 European and 1 Caribbean and I have never seen anything like you described. I did see a lady on our last cruise with blue and red hair- no it wasn't the dreaded blue rinse- and no one blinked an eye. To each their own and we had a really good mix of all age ranges. Everyone was really well behaved.
I find HAL to be a very neutral and civilized cruise line with a lot of great people. While all cruises sailed full the ship never felt over crowded. I saw lots of diversity and while I am Jane Q average I do travel with my female partner and have never been made to feel any different, less etc.
I am confident that you will enjoy your HAL experience as we have.
Smooth seas!

Archived