a/c on river cruises?

sunshine nana

I asked a question on a thread about whether or not the river boats have a/c and no one answered. My sister was on a Viking cruise in Germany and emailed that it was very hot in their cabin. They just returned on Tues. and I just talked with her and she said the boat did have a/c, but it was so hot (90* or more) that their cabin was in the mid 80's until about 4 am even though they had the thermostat set at the lowest setting. Guess we will go in the fall, not summer. They loved the cruise.

We were on the Amacello and Amadagio last August and it was 40degC plus a few days and the cabin air conditioning was perfect! It was lovely to come back to a cool cabin after sightseeing! The main rooms were beautifully cool too!

At night we opened the balcony window though because the cooler fresh air off the water was even better!

We were on the Viking Douro in late June with temperatures mid to high 30C. Our AC was wonderful. The entire ship was always lovely and cool.

And the cold drinks and towels upon return to the ship after an excursion were a welcome treat.

We were on an Avalon ship last summer and had air con that worked perfectly, had a cutoff if the windows were open. I did hear people on the other side of the ship, getting the sun all day, say that their cabins were hot when they got back after being out all day.

All inside areas of the ship were air conditioned and very comfortable, the weather was quite warm, good drinking weather :-)

We were on the Viking Douro in late June with temperatures mid to high 30C. Our AC was wonderful. The entire ship was always lovely and cool.

And the cold drinks and towels upon return to the ship after an excursion were a welcome treat.

We were on the Viking Douro in July and our air con was most certainly NOT working. It was really grim especially as outside temperatures were soaring and we really looked forward to returning to a cool cabin. No such luck!! Sleepless nights ensued. Happy to be home in the end.

We are currently on Vantage's River Splendor. We just spent the last few days in very hot temperatures from Budapest to Passau. Our cabin got too cold and we had to adjust the temperature higher from its normal setting.

We're on Vantage Splendor for Gateway to the Black Sea in June. Please write a review and let us know how it is. It looks lovely. Most interested in how the second restaurant works, and does it work! We're so used to eating in the Compass Rose, this will really be a new experience.

I cruised Avalon Felicity last May - June 2013. Our cabin seemed to always be facing the sun. The first day, the drapes were left open and it took quite a bit to cool the cabin down with the AC. After the first day, we just kept the curtains closed during the day and had no further problems. There were times it was a bit cool in the lounge or dining room, so you might want to pack a lightweight sweater / wrap / shawl, etc.

There were times it was a bit cool in the lounge or dining room, so you might want to pack a lightweight sweater / wrap / shawl, etc.

Good point! I had forgotten about that, but on Vantage as well, some nights the dining room was freezing!!!

There were times it was a bit cool in the lounge or dining room, so you might want to pack a lightweight sweater / wrap / shawl, etc.

Good point! I had forgotten about that, but on Vantage as well, some nights the dining room was freezing!!!

This was my question - How cold are the dining rooms? Thanks for the info. I assume most of the river-boats would be he same in this regard.

Archived