Carnival Splendor - July 28th - LONG Detailed Review and Diary!

Catrin

Catrin - thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and sharing your vacation and photos with all of us. I loved reading about your family's adventures, especially since my family is going on the Splendor in November! Your review made us even more excited :)

I know you did not need to utilize the camp time allocated to the under 2 year old group, but did you happen to notice the times this was offered on either your fun times or your camp schedules? My daughter will be 18 months when we sail and I was wondering what time in the camp, if any, will be available to her. I was wondering if there was time in the morning when the under twos were allowed to go (for a fee, I believe). On our last cruise, my son was 13 months, they offered a few hours each day in the morning before camp opened. However, I have not been able to find out if this is offered on the Splendor.

I did not notice any specific times at all... I am sorry. BUT>>> as a rule, they usually open the playroom for under 2's for family playtime while at port. They also take under 2's for babysitting after 10pm for a fee. I will go through my capers to see if there is anything specific listed. I will let you know!!

Catrin

(Edit, I enjoyed her review. I didn't pluck that out of it, I was directly responding to her comment to me, not the review. She said a cruise was what you make of it anyway, and at least I'm not at work or doing laundry. I wasn't 'intimating' to throw out the whole review or anything, I was just saying that there is an opportunity to be amazed, not just to feel like you are glad at least you aren't at work. But yes, I thought the review was fun and thoroughly enjoyed it! :) )

Yeah I never cruise in the summer. I have a 4 day interior at less than $560 per person on the Disney Magic in May. That's what I paid for my 7 day CCL. I can tell you which one is going to offer a whole lot more.

Cruising a 7 day on the Fantasy is going to be closer to the Oasis/Allure pricing (I compared the same week next fall, Oasis 7 day was 949 for a balcony and Fantasy 7 day was in the 1200s.)

I think 10k is insane and crazy but people do pay it (I guess that's why they can charge it.) Me? I'm happy with my $560-730 with my 10% off voucher and my Disney rewards dollars taking it off of that.

But that's why I recommend trying out a 4-5 day first. Also, you can get major deals out of Galveston right now (wish I had the time off and $ but not happening this year) and you can get good deals on the Wonder next year of Miami (or better deals anyway) but I don't care for Miami and we are going on the newest reimagineered dry docked Magic next spring which will have a ton of upgrades.

So yeah, DCL is expensive. But it doesn't have to cost any more than the same money you would spend on a CCL either. You may sacrifice a sea day or two, but you are getting such a superior experience, I think everyone ought to at least look for a deal at least every now and then. (Kind of like going to Six Flags, yeah its fun a few times in the summer. But WDW? That's a trip you really look forward to! -and save up for.- Same thing with CCL vs DCL.)

If you can afford a 7 day, I say go for it. But even if you can't, 7 days of mediocrity did not beat my 3 days of AWESOME. Not even close. (and stocking our own room and having sodas included did cut some down off of our on board room credit which no one seems to really talk about is where CCL really makes their money. Disney just collects your money up front. :D)

Peace!

This is funny... as much as I love Disney, a Disney cruise really never interested me. I think it is because if I am going to spend the money, I want to be at the Magic Kingdom or Epcot. It is the atmosphere of the parks I love, not necessarily Mickey Mouse et all.

Plus.. one thing about Disney.. the cost!! Now that Kyle has started school... value will even mean more. We will be lucky to go on a vacation over the next four years (or more once Matthew starts!) .. so if we do, budgeting will be even more important.

Maybe one day we will stay in a deluxe hotel or suite.. but for now, we are happy just to be able to get away.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the amazingly detailed review

We are planning a family cruise on the Splendor and your review has me considering 2 OV cabins vs 1 balcony (2 adults 2 kids 7&10)

We had been considering balcony so the kids had somewhere to go when I was finishing getting ready but now thinking the space of 2 cabins might work better? Thoughts?

Also Camp Carnival- are they strict with age ranges? Could I put my 2 (boy and girl) in the same group?

Thanks for the amazingly detailed review

We are planning a family cruise on the Splendor and your review has me considering 2 OV cabins vs 1 balcony (2 adults 2 kids 7&10)

We had been considering balcony so the kids had somewhere to go when I was finishing getting ready but now thinking the space of 2 cabins might work better? Thoughts?

Also Camp Carnival- are they strict with age ranges? Could I put my 2 (boy and girl) in the same group?

Laura,

We really loved having the two cabins. We have fit all five of us in a balcony room before too.. for us, the two cabins was ideal. Along with the two bathrooms, was two TV's, no bunk beds, two sets of closets, etc. It really felt like one huge room. I think this worked, because my boys are older and we have three kids... the Splendor did not fit five in one cabin.

If I was travelling with only four in our family, however, I would not hesitate by choosing one room. We are cruising with just two of our kids in April on the Magic, and we have booked one room.

As far as Camp Carnival, the ages are 6-8 and 9-11... so your kids do not even come close to being put into the other age groups. They may enjoy doing things on thier own! The 6-8's pretty much stay in the Camp Carnival area, while the 9-11's often meet in the Disco or other ship areas. There are times, when both age groups are together, often times at night. The late night parties are for all kids, ages 2-11.

Hope that helps and thanks for reading!

Catrin

Archived