Need Help deciding which Cruise Line/Ship 2014

Desiree D

So, we have agreed that time to plan for a next year cruise is WAY PAST DUE, HIP HIP HORRAY and YEAH!

We are also very fortunate to have two choices before us, and have traveled both cruise lines (many years ago), and both itenaries as well.

Having a very hard time deciding between the Norweign Jewel or RCCL Navigator Of the Seas, out of Houston or Galveston, in the Fall of 2014.

Pros and Cons. LOVE the iteneray of the Jewel better than Navigator. The Navigator will be nearly refurbished in 2014 AND the balcony cabin is larger on the Navigator, and price is a tad better.

YET still a VERY hard decision, indeed....

No "wow" factor for either one to "put us over the top", not yet...

Any ideas, experience....

would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

What itinerary do you want.

You can't wrong with Navigator! Not nearly but will b fully

Refurbished.

I'm a RCCL cruiser and could not tell you anything

on other ship.

Most persons I have talked to will take RCL

Over NCL. But maybe that's because I'm talking to RCCL fans.

Seriously those I asked to compare have cruised both lines!

I'm partial to Galveston because there is so much to do there.

If you coming in day of cruise it doesn't matter.

I would prefer Belize and Honduras over Cayman and Jamaica. Refurbished and larger cabin sure is tempting, though, with RCCL!

I'm reading reviews. Just discovered we could also choose Carnival for the same week, with the better itinerary, but it's Carnival, we've done that too....

Thinking we may just go with RCCL...

One thing, all these ships will be "new" to us, I like different.... It's just hard to decide which one...

Thanks so much for your input, really great, thanks so much!

YES YES, although we aren't really beach people, so much; but yes, that's with the NCL Jewel or Carnival Magic though... good ports; Not crazy about Cayman or Cozumel with RCCL; Could totally have to miss Cayman if it's too rough to tender though, an extra day at sea maybe....

A balcony is a must though, and ship doesn't really matter so much I guess....

Decisions, decisions. It's way so early, no hurry to figure it out!

Interested to know how you narrowed it down to the Jewel and the Navigator... What took the others out of contention?

We are sailing on Navigator in March '14... Really looking forward to it. However, we also sailed on Magic a couple years ago. I had never cruised Carnival... Too many stories and too many complaints...I've gotta say though, it was a great trip! Especially since we had our 6 year old (at the time). The water park was awesome... And kept him busy all week.

Just kinda forget about Carnival; Would prefer Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. Our first was Carnival though, and it was truly wonderful and amazing, on the Fascination, back in 1996 (fairly new ship). Our last Carnival was the Conquest, which is the most "drab" (hughes of brown?) ship, and just not that impressive. I was on that one twice, with a balcony. Truly having a balcony makes a huge difference for us, and ship doesn't really matter. That boils down to price, mostly.... Getting the best deal, off season.....

We do like Carnival though, always a different ship is fun; But, we're looking for something different this time and very happy that we have two options out of Galveston (or Houston). We like the convenience of Texas, rather than having to fly (expense and such).

Usually destination doesn't matter, this time I was feeling "pulled" by a better destination, but SHIP won out over that. We have decided on the the Navigator of the Seas, and very excited.

OH, Donoiv11, PLEASE report back on your March voyage, I'd be very anxious to see that! It's going to be a very long wait for us, but fun to dream and plan, in the meantime. I'll be reading everything I can find, while we wait....

Would love to see what you've chosen for port excursions (if any?), etc....

I'm always looking for something adventurous and "new", although hubby would prefer to just stay on the ship. That's never happened for him yet, he is always very supportive of my quest for adventure-LOL I can't see staying on the ship this time, even though two ports are a bit"boring for us", we shall see..... Perhaps I just won't be in such a hurry to get off the ship this time, although looking forward to seeing a diff part of Jamaica.....

Thanks so much for writing!

We have done a B2B on the Nav besides other cruises on RCL

Havnt done the Jewel yet but have done 2 other NCL ships.

NCL is going to better pricing over RCL normally

I just checked balcony for the same ports in Oct 2014

NCL $729pp oct18th

RCL-899pp oct19th

Ncl also has the 2 days coming back to relax before getting home which we really enjoy.

The biggest difference between the 2 lines is the freestyle dining of NCL Its like going to a land restaurant with no reservations.

We do miss having the same waiter/table/time everynite but others enjoy the freedom of just showing up when hungry. And we are booked on NCL again knowing this upfront

The Navigator does have the wow factor with the promenade. I personally dont like the shopping mall feel, but it definately was a WOW, the first time seeing it on the Mariner

They are also adding the flowrider.

But Is RCL worth the extra $350 :confused:

If it is about cost I would do NCL

Just kinda forget about Carnival; Would prefer Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. Our first was Carnival though, and it was truly wonderful and amazing, on the Fascination, back in 1996 (fairly new ship). Our last Carnival was the Conquest, which is the most "drab" (hughes of brown?) ship, and just not that impressive. I was on that one twice, with a balcony. Truly having a balcony makes a huge difference for us, and ship doesn't really matter. That boils down to price, mostly.... Getting the best deal, off season.....

We do like Carnival though, always a different ship is fun; But, we're looking for something different this time and very happy that we have two options out of Galveston (or Houston). We like the convenience of Texas, rather than having to fly (expense and such).

Usually destination doesn't matter, this time I was feeling "pulled" by a better destination, but SHIP won out over that. We have decided on the the Navigator of the Seas, and very excited.

OH, Donoiv11, PLEASE report back on your March voyage, I'd be very anxious to see that! It's going to be a very long wait for us, but fun to dream and plan, in the meantime. I'll be reading everything I can find, while we wait....

Would love to see what you've chosen for port excursions (if any?), etc....

I'm always looking for something adventurous and "new", although hubby would prefer to just stay on the ship. That's never happened for him yet, he is always very supportive of my quest for adventure-LOL I can't see staying on the ship this time, even though two ports are a bit"boring for us", we shall see..... Perhaps I just won't be in such a hurry to get off the ship this time, although looking forward to seeing a diff part of Jamaica.....

Thanks so much for writing!

Will do. Looking forward to our trip.

We have done a B2B on the Nav besides other cruises on RCL

Havnt done the Jewel yet but have done 2 other NCL ships.

NCL is going to better pricing over RCL normally

I just checked balcony for the same ports in Oct 2014

NCL $729pp oct18th

RCL-899pp oct19th

Ncl also has the 2 days coming back to relax before getting home which we really enjoy.

The biggest difference between the 2 lines is the freestyle dining of NCL Its like going to a land restaurant with no reservations.

We do miss having the same waiter/table/time everynite but others enjoy the freedom of just showing up when hungry. And we are booked on NCL again knowing this upfront

The Navigator does have the wow factor with the promenade. I personally dont like the shopping mall feel, but it definately was a WOW, the first time seeing it on the Mariner

They are also adding the flowrider.

But Is RCL worth the extra $350 :confused:

If it is about cost I would do NCL

Yes, I would completely agree with you and we would choose the Jewel IF it weren't more $ than we had found using Travelocity for Navigator. I'm hoping we'll get to sail with NCL again sometime. We absolutely LOVED our voyage TWICE upon the NCL Norweign Sea in 2000 and 2004 (which was VERY reasonably priced). Small ship, Older ship- and we just had the best time EVER. I would enjoy another cruise with NCL, absolutely, is why I was so torn. It cost more and not sure when it has been refurbished, if at all....

I'm like you, not sure I'll like the mall, or any of the little "extras" on RC, to be honest. The pics I've seen though, just looked "brighter" is all, prettier. We'll see......

I'm thinking we got a real good deal with Travelocity. This is our first experience with them, hope it turns out to be a GOOD ONE! I really hope we can sail again and not have to wait so long next time. We really need a vacation and a cruise is our favorite way to go!

Price is a huge factor, finding the best deal, absolutely! I phoned three CL out of Gal or Houston, the best deal was through Travelocity for the Navigator, for the only week I have available. I'm so excited, no matter which ship we're on, it's very exciting!

Yes, I would completely agree with you and we would choose the Jewel IF it weren't more $ than we had found using Travelocity for Navigator. I'm hoping we'll get to sail with NCL again sometime. We absolutely LOVED our voyage TWICE upon the NCL Norweign Sea in 2000 and 2004 (which was VERY reasonably priced). Small ship, Older ship- and we just had the best time EVER. I would enjoy another cruise with NCL, absolutely, is why I was so torn. It cost more and not sure when it has been refurbished, if at all....

I'm like you, not sure I'll like the mall, or any of the little "extras" on RC, to be honest. The pics I've seen though, just looked "brighter" is all, prettier. We'll see......

I'm thinking we got a real good deal with Travelocity. This is our first experience with them, hope it turns out to be a GOOD ONE! I really hope we can sail again and not have to wait so long next time. We really need a vacation and a cruise is our favorite way to go!

Price is a huge factor, finding the best deal, absolutely! I phoned three CL out of Gal or Houston, the best deal was through Travelocity for the Navigator, for the only week I have available. I'm so excited, no matter which ship we're on, it's very exciting!

I think you made a great choice. Your going on a cruise and go a great price. Winner Winner

Princess would be my first choice, haven't sailed with them, yet. They just don't sail out of Texas when I am able to get away. I thought they would be too expensive also, but maybe not... I can only hope- and dream- some day!!!!! AHHHHHH! I think that would be SO amazing!!!!

Princess would be my first choice, haven't sailed with them, yet. They just don't sail out of Texas when I am able to get away. I thought they would be too expensive also, but maybe not... I can only hope- and dream- some day!!!!! AHHHHHH! I think that would be SO amazing!!!!

We will have princess and NCl fall to April. Royal will be year round as well as Carnival

We will have princess and NCl fall to April. Royal will be year round as well as Carnival

Right, right; but not available for the date I need, next fall. I double checked! Hopefully another time though. I sure hope so! That would be the BEST, I'm sure! Would really love a line we haven't sailed before, and especially Princess! OHHHHHHHHH, I hope some day.....

For now I can only dream; Oh yes, and stay busy planning for the Navigator.

I almost wonder, if I were to find a time, comparable price for an inside on Princess (I'm guessing) as paying the same for a balcony on another ship, I'd be torn to have that balcony- on any other ship.... I wonder..... Would it be worth it to forgo a balcony, we've become very spoiled to that.... Not a suite or fancy room, just a standard balcony- is such fun....

Archived