Here's a real first time cruiser question...

davanncruise1

Hello -

We are first time cruisers heading to Alaska in June 2006 on RCI Radiance of the Seas. We will be cruising with a group of my husbands friends from highschool...celebrating their 49th year in the 49th state. So here's the question...is there anyway to arrange dinner at the captains table for the group ? I think the guys would get a real kick out of it but I'm not sure if it is done anymore....I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

A good question to be sure. Generally speaking, the Captain does invite some guests to his table for the Captain's Gala. These guests are usually either repeat cruisers with a lot of cruises with the company under their belt, or are staying in one of the high end cabins. Your best bet, IMO, would be to ask the Maitre'd when you board the ship. However, don't get your hopes up too high - the Captain is a popular man on that ship! Best of luck to you though!

You can request it, but there's only room for 10 at the Captain's table and if your group is larger, then it might not be worth the hassle of trying to get this. Generally speaking, the invites are not done by the corporate office, but by the cruise hostess on board, and those who get the invites are passengers who are in the highest priced suites,VIP's of the cruise line or those who have a lot of cruises with the cruise line. We've found that the cruise hostess checks out potential passengers when they are checking in, and then issues an invite. The captain only dines on one or two nights, and not every night.

Thank you both for the information. It makes sense that invitations for dinner at the Captains table would be offered to frequent crusiers and/or VIP passengers. I will check with the hostess when we board and hope for the best!

Happy Cruising!

Annemarie

Archived