OK I think I have lost my mind!

jjdmom8

Ok...So is it going too far to have one entire suitcase with shoes? DH is just shaking his head, but golly I need them all... Actually they are not all mine 1 pair each for my 2 boys, hubby has 3, and I have 7 pairs. Fills one up completely! But don't you need shoes for dinner ( one formal, and then two for rest of nights, depending on outfit) sneakers, flip flops, sandles.........am I weird or just a normal female? LOL The excitment of the trip is killing me!

If you think that you will wear all the shoes and you have room, go for it. But can I make a tiny suggestion gleaned off of the many hints that I have seen on these boards? Don't make one suitcase your "shoe" suitcase. If that suitcase were to get lost, you wouldn't have any extra shoes other than the ones you wore on embarkation!

Put the shoes in different bags and pack them around the rest of your clothes. If you're worried that your shoes are dirty, but them in grocery bags. You can also make a little more room by stuffing socks inside the shoes!

Most important of all, HAVE FUN!!!

~texasjess

Ok...So is it going too far to have one entire suitcase with shoes? DH is just shaking his head, but golly I need them all... Actually they are not all mine 1 pair each for my 2 boys, hubby has 3, and I have 7 pairs. Fills one up completely! But don't you need shoes for dinner ( one formal, and then two for rest of nights, depending on outfit) sneakers, flip flops, sandles.........am I weird or just a normal female? LOL The excitment of the trip is killing me!

I did the same thing on my first cruise, 5 pairs of shoes. Only one pair that I didn't wear. Suitcase also had DH's shoes, beach bag etc...

If you want to cut down on the number of shoes, try color coordinating so you can use one pair of shoes with several outfits. of course you need sneakers for shore excursions and running around the ship during the day,and something dressy for dinner, and sandals if you're going where it's hot.

If you are not flying, there's no problem. The ship does not restrict the number of suitcases you take on board.

I'm sure you'll look lovely, and feel lovely with all your shoes~!

I took 5 pairs: flip-flops, sport sandals, nice sandals for dining room, water shoes and a pair of dressy shoes for formal nights. I did not take any shoes that I didn't need/wear at some point in the cruise.

When we went to Vegas last year I actually 'hid' some of my shoes from my husband - he would have told me I was MAD taking all that I did - AT Least 7-8 AND I bought some shoes while there also!!!:D

Don't know how I'm going to work Vegas AND Alaskan Cruise this year?!!!:rolleyes:

So I say, go for it if you have the room and weight allowance.

7 pair is probably 2 more than I would take, but not totally out of the question. Heed the advice about cross-packing, making sure you pack whatever shoes go with whatever outfit in the suitcases. I mix up the clothes between all our suitcases (2 adults, 2 teens).

I was going to take two pair of New Balance, not for color coordination so much as having one dry pair if the other were soaked. Someone told me to use the ship's hair dryer if that happened. Now why didn't I think of that?

Someone else suggested taking your rattiest pair of sneakers for the worst rainy day and then throwing them away before you fly home so you'll have more room/weight allowance in the suitcase.

Another way to save weight is to leave any book you may have brought to read on the plane with the ship's library. Don't you love tips? Use them or not, they are so interesting and show such ingenuity.

Another small space saver is to throw away any prescription bottles (having taken only the number of each you need for the cruise). For people who take large numbers of pills daily, this could be a space saver, but not a weight saver.

I

Another small space saver is to throw away any prescription bottles (having taken only the number of each you need for the cruise). For people who take large numbers of pills daily, this could be a space saver, but not a weight saver.

Flash - This is a good idea IF you don't take the pills off the ship into a port. When in MX, for example, IF you're checked by MX authorities, pills need to be in their original Rx bottles. (I take mine in the little 7-day container, but I don't take them off the ship.)

JJD - About the shoes... My goodness, girl!:D On my earlier cruises, I took shoes for each outfit. Not any longer. Now, I've learned to mix-and-match my outfits and shoes, so I now end up with three pair. I take one pr. of black strappy heels for evenings, tennies for on shore, and slides for deck wear. It CAN be done, believe it or not.:D

CreoleGirl, it was on Crystal Symphony and it started in Hong Kong and ended in Dubai of the United Arab Emirates. We stopped in places like Vietnam (two stops for 4 days), Thailand, Singapore, the Maldives, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Indonesia, India (two stops for 4 days and spent one day at the Taj Mahal) and Dubai. It was the trip of a lifetime. Another one I did a year ago that was 29 days and it started in Cape Town, South Africa and went to Namibia, St. Helena (an island more than 600 miles away from anything), Rio, Salvador, Tortola, Barbados, and then up to New York.

At least the suitcase have everyone's shoes in it. We have a TA that works for us that has a suitcase just for HER shoes and takes it even if she is going to Grand Bahama Island for a 3 night getaway.

. Someone told me to use the ship's hair dryer if that happened. .

oh mi gawd--you'd be in that room drying shoes all day. I have tried many hairdryers onboard and they are not strong by any means.. lol I thinkit will take half a day to dry a new borns hair.

i only take three pair ( well a pair of flip-flops too ), 1 pair of formal straps, 1 black flats for other dinner nights and a pair of tennies. if i were you i would put pairs of socks inside the shoes and anything else you can stuff in them so it will take up less room in the other bags. like someone suggested just try not to get that bag lost :D

flashdog, it is not a good idea to throw away your prescription bottles when traveling. My dad, who takes 22 pills a day, was taken aside by US Customs on two trips and was "grilled" by them about all his medications. They told him in no uncertain terms that all prescription meds must be in their original containers that had their labels on them. There has been a huge push to take away any prescriptions that they may think were purchased in foreign countries. If you take prescription drugs, make sure you keep them in the pharmacy containers, and if you're like my dad, who gets 90 day supplies, you can get smaller pill bottles from the pharmacy to use on trips.

I wouldn't put all my shoes in one suitcase - what if that was the suitcase that ended up missing. I tend to cross pack both hubby's and my clothing in each suitcase so that each suitcase has a little of everything. That way if one goes missing, at least we have something to wear.

Put the SHOES AWAY !!!, All you need is at the most 3 pairs, Tennis shoes, Dress Formal Shoes and some Casual shoes, There are no Shoe Police onboard, no one there cares if you are wearing different shoes every day.

Total waste of luggage, and if my wife wendy tried to bring one single luggage full of shoes, I would spare her the arguement but I can assure you this, they would be lost between the time we left home and the Airport..

My advice... No matter how many pairs of shoes you plan to take, pack them now!!! For our recent cruise, I was planning to take a pair of black, gold, & silver dress sandals. I had the black shoes & because I couldn't find any I liked, I panicked & ordered a silver & gold pair. Of course, they didn't fit & I had no time left for shopping. We ran all over San Francisco looking for a pair of gold & silver shoes I liked. I finally gave up & decided to wear the black ones with all my dresses. We were wasting all our touring time looking for shoes. By now, you may have guessed where this is going. ;) Yes, I woke up wide awake at 5am embarkation day & it occurred to me that I didn't remember packing the black sandals. I woke my DH immediately & we emptied every suitcase. All 8 of them. Just as I suspected, they weren't there. :eek: I ended up having to wear either my black or white casual sandals every night. :o You can bet I won't do that again! :p

All you need is at the most 3 pairs.

3 pair?? Maybe if I was a toddler!! I took 10 pair for a 7 night cruise. Wore every single pair. Absolutely no way could I manage only 3 pair. Maybe no one else cares what I look like - but I certainly do!!:cool:

Don't forget those of us who run by the way - one of those pair was my running shoes!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys, but there is no way around it..all 7 pairs are going and are at this minute in the suitcase..in the car...waiting on time to go! Just wanted to say thanks for this board as it makes the waiting sooooo much easier and it is good to know that I am not the only one that gets all excited and worked up waiting on vacation!! Will post a review as soon as I am back.

Archived