Caesar Salad at Pizzeria on Carnival Spirit

lindalo5032

OK, this is probably a dumb question, but here goes: :)

I know they serve Caesar salad at the pizzeria on Carnival Spirit. My problem is, I can't stand the thought of a salad (or anything, for that matter) with anchovies :( . Can you get the Caesar at the pizzeria without anchovies? Do they have regular salads at the pizzeria also? Thanks!

Most Caesar salads have anchovies in the dressing. They usually melt into the dressing so only add flavor and really can't be distinguished. Chances are, you've already had them in a Caesar salad unless you're extremely diligent about asking for anchovy free dressing. You could, however, ask the staff if they have an anchovy free dressing.

Linda, there are no dumb questions around here.:D

The classic Caesar salad is made with anchovies in the dressing. There are so many ingredients in the dressing, the anchovies blend in with a subtle flavor. You probably just never noticed it. I'm sure the dressing is made well ahead, and you won't be able to ask for dressing without anchovies.

As a retired chef, I have to say that I've never seen a Caesar salad with anchovies served ON the salad.

OK, I'm really showing my ignorance here. I've never had a real Caesar salad. So is the dressing the only thing that makes a Caesar salad different from a regular salad? :confused: If a person doesn't like any kind of fish, would they notice a "fishy" taste to the dressing?

So is the dressing the only thing that makes a Caesar salad different from a regular salad? :confused:

Well, the "salad" part is only romaine lettuce. What makes it "Caesar", for the most part in my mind, is the dressing, (basically, garlic, eggs, olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce -- with or without anchovies) Parmesan cheese and the croutons. The quality of the ingredients have a tremendous impact on the flavor as well.

If a person doesn't like any kind of fish, would they notice a "fishy" taste to the dressing?

It has a distinctive taste, but I wouldn't describe it as "fishy" in the least. In fact if you didn't know it, you wouldn't probably guess anchovies as an ingredient.

I agree. Funny thing is that I've always made my Caesar dressing with anchovies, and my children have a great dislike for anchovies. They are all adults, and to this day they still love my Caesar salad, and have NO CLUE there are anchovies in them.:D So, I'd say NO, you'd never be able to distinquish the taste of 'fish'.

My brother LOVES Caesar Salad, but when we were on the Miracle last year, he found specks of anchovies in the salad he got from the Pizzeria. It tasted a lot like them, too, he says (I refused to try it). Don't know if they can take them out, as I'm sure everything is prepared ahead of time. But you never know... I'm going to try asking, when we go on the Legend in August.

I actually have a quote from our Miracle cruise last year, from dinner (yes, I write quotes -- every time I read them I feel like I'm right back on the ship!)

Kathy: There're anchovies in the salad...

Betty Ann: No! (shakes finger) If you don't see them, they're not there!

xoxo

Maggi

Archived