The prez in jax..$$$$ to deepen the channel

AmberTeka

President Obama was in Jax wk before last. He was going to give the Port Authority More Money to deepen and dredge the Channels..and to be able to bring in new Panama Canal Sized ships.

That would be a big Cruise ship. He also is giving money to Savannah and Charlestown to do the same..Deepen and enlarge to handle the Big Ships that now can use the Panama Canal.

Would it not be lovely to have the NEW Carnival Ship.....home porting at Jacksonville? Or Savannah?

The Fascination...........a very popular ship. Always sails full. On the Cruise critic poll..it was voted one of the Top Ten for Cruise Value.

Jax..makes it possible to drive in one day...from Tenn. Georgia. S.Carolina. Alabama. Some parts of N.Carolina. Some parts of Kentucky ( down the interstate)...and of course..Florida. Flying is expensive and a lot of people just don't like to fly anymore. Too much hassle.

Dredging Jax has nothing to do with cruise ships. That would be a tremendous waste of taxpayer money if that was the sole reason. Cruise lines will benefit from it, but the purpose of dredging Jax is to accommodate the super-sized freighters that will be coming through the Panama Canal once it is widened. Additionally, this money is only to see whether it is feasible to deepen the channel, not to do the actual work.

I love cruising out of Jacksonville, but even though I come from Tennessee, I do not drive in. I love Jacksonville's airport. It has great shopping, and is easy to get around. And since Southwest Airlines flies into JAX, airfare is usually pretty reasonable. The environment in northern Florida is much more friendly than it is in southern Florida IMO. I've always had a good experience with embarkation at JAXPORT too. The cruising clientele out of Jacksonville also seems quite different than it does out of southern Florida ports. Jacksonville is one of my favorite embarkation ports.

Thanks for the info about what is going on at Jacksonville.

I could be mistaken, but I think a bridge (can't remember its name) is what would keep larger ships from home porting in Jacksonville. It might be too low to accommodate larger cruise ships. I don't think this is as much of an issue with freighters.

Is this the same president who thinks Charleston, Savannah, and Jacksonville are in the Gulf? :rolleyes:

You beat me too it, just like he visited 57 states. I think it's all lip service and nothing of what he talks about will happen. Sounds good on the teleprompter doesn't it?

You beat me too it, just like he visited 57 states. I think it's all lip service and nothing of what he talks about will happen. Sounds good on the teleprompter doesn't it?

Actually, I think he said he visited all but 2 of the 57 states. :cool:

Is this the same president who thinks Charleston, Savannah, and Jacksonville are in the Gulf? :rolleyes:

same one, digging deeper all the time but one in the news will notice small things like that. where did he go to school?

I could be mistaken, but I think a bridge (can't remember its name) is what would keep larger ships from home porting in Jacksonville. It might be too low to accommodate larger cruise ships. I don't think this is as much of an issue with freighters.

Dames Point Bridge

Oh goodness Pete, dont tell me you watch "Faux" news......

You're too young to even be watching the news, aren't you? You couldn't drag me in front of a TV to watch the news when I was 18.

You're too young to even be watching the news, aren't you? You couldn't drag me in front of a TV to watch the news when I was 18.

Actually, I think he's 21, and that age, I think I was getting my news from Adam something on MTV.

Or was it Kurt Loder?

Clicked on this thread and was somehow connected to a talk radio conversation. While people pat each other on the back for being so clever, I'll respond to the OP. One could dredge the channel until he came out the other side of the world, and ships bigger than Fantasy class still won't fit under the Dames Point Bridge. Unfortunately the push to build a port on the eastern side of the bridge has died. There were some financial shenanigans unrelated to that project involving the port authority. People were run out on a rail. As a result there is no talk of doing anything related to cruise ports anymore. The initial plan was rejected because it would destroy a "historic fishing village". By the looks of it, it's historical only in as much as it's been there forever and looks like it. More than likely that was used as an excuse by those who live on the water who have deep pockets and deep political influence.

Ok, back to Rush Limbaugh.

same one, digging deeper all the time but one in the news will notice small things like that. where did he go to school?

Supposedly Oxidental and Columbia, yet NO one has come forward to say they were his classmates. But that is a different discussion.:rolleyes:

Clicked on this thread and was somehow connected to a talk radio conversation. While people pat each other on the back for being so clever, I'll respond to the OP. One could dredge the channel until he came out the other side of the world, and ships bigger than Fantasy class still won't fit under the Dames Point Bridge. Unfortunately the push to build a port on the eastern side of the bridge has died. There were some financial shenanigans unrelated to that project involving the port authority. People were run out on a rail. As a result there is no talk of doing anything related to cruise ports anymore. The initial plan was rejected because it would destroy a "historic fishing village". By the looks of it, it's historical only in as much as it's been there forever and looks like it. More than likely that was used as an excuse by those who live on the water who have deep pockets and deep political influence.

Ok, back to Rush Limbaugh.

While I see your point that this might seem to degenerate into what you call "talk radio", please point out any of the statements that are false?

The President did say that we need to deepen the ports along the Gulf and then mentioned Savannah, Jacksonville and Charleston. Obviously all Atlantic ports, then a reporter for the AP reported that he said "and in cities like" S, J and C. That was not what he said, perhaps he meant to say that, but the AP comes off as more partisan by changing the transcript.

If that is talk radio, or Rush Limbaugh, so be it.

I'm just not sure it addresses the topic at hand. But maybe I'm wrong. You say potatoe, I say is our children learning. See what I did? Took a shot at something dumb a politician said. See what I didn't do? Discuss the long term viability of Jaxport.

I'm just not sure it addresses the topic at hand. But maybe I'm wrong. You say potatoe, I say is our children learning.

Awesome, a jab at Quayle and W. Bush all in one sentence.

Nicely played, you must be a Navy Corpseman.

Archived