Scavi Tour, St. Peter's, Vatican - how to work out our schedule

crazygirl!

Hello!

We have a 9:30am Scavi Tour time, and I am trying to figure out the best way to arrange our day to include St. Peter's and the Vatican as well. This will be on a Saturday in mid-November.

St. Peter's is open from 7am-6pm: the Grotto/Papal Tombs 7am-5pm, and the Cupola 8am-4:45pm. We would like to spend a little time in the Grotto, and we would definitely like to climb the Cupola.

The Vatican Museum is open 9am-6pm, with the last reserved ticket (skip the line) time of 3pm. We are interested in seeing a number of the museums, not just the Sistine Chapel.

I don't think we will have time to climb the Cupola before our Scavi Tour, but it seems like we would have enough time to see the main interior and Grotto of St. Peter's if we arrived when it opened at 7am. From there, we would go on the Scavi Tour. I know the tour ends in the Grotto area, so would it be best to climb the Cupola then and do the Vatican last? Or, would it be less crowded to go to the Vatican immediately after the Scavi Tour and then go back to climb the Cupola after?

I would love some help and advice with arranging the order and how much time to allow for walking between the locations. Thank you so much!

I would go right from the scavi tour to the cupola and save the Vatican Museums until later, due mostly to proximity. You'd waste too much time going to the museums and then back to the cupola, between the long walk and waiting in the security line again (to go up to the cupola).

From Piazza San Pietro, where you'll exit after climbing the cupola, to the entrance of the Vatican Museums on Vaile Vaticano, is eight tenths of a mile, so you should assume 20 minutes (more or less, depending on how fast you walk).

I would go right from the scavi tour to the cupola and save the Vatican Museums until later, due mostly to proximity. You'd waste too much time going to the museums and then back to the cupola, between the long walk and waiting in the security line again (to go up to the cupola).

From Piazza San Pietro, where you'll exit after climbing the cupola, to the entrance of the Vatican Museums on Vaile Vaticano, is eight tenths of a mile, so you should assume 20 minutes (more or less, depending on how fast you walk).

Thanks euro cruiser! I hadn't thought about having to go through security again if we went back and forth! Very helpful advice - I appreciate it.

My Scavi tour ended right at the line for the cupola, but I understand that not all Scavi tours end in the same place.

I'd do the Scavi tour first, cupola, St. Peter's, then the Vatican last.

Good to know the tour might end elsewhere. But, since I will still be in St. Peter's it does make sense to finish here and do the Vatican last. Thanks for your input!

Archived