Vancover Ferry crashes into marina.

We were on a sister ship (?) on the Vancouver/Victroria run a few weeks ago. Those are pretty big babies to go crasing into the marina. What I was wondering about was what is going to happen to those people who have their cars on board now that the ferry is grounded and probably can't connect to an unloading ramp? Did you know BC Ferries has more ships than the Canadian navy? I guess that happens when half the places people live are only accessable by air or water.

A few of the reports was that the ship lost power and there were no injuries. Actually the ship grounded on a muddy embankment and was released at high tide. It did drive over a few sailboats and provided alot of excitement. However, it sure did screw up Ferry traffic for the day since they closed horseshoe bay terminal. I wouldn't mind being stuck on the Island Princess for nine hours, but I would hate to be stuck on the queen of oak bay for that long. Actually it would be like disembarkation day when you have to be out of the cabin at 7am and your plane doesn't leave until 2.

At the next high tide - it was refloated and then towed into the pier - all the passengers and cars on all decks were able to got off about 7 hours after the ordeal began. There are no reported injuries to anyone - people on board where given about a 90 second warning that the ship was in trouble and told to sit down - people on board are quoted as saying they hardly felt anything as the ship was going very slowly - it is suspected that the captain aimed for the marina because it would likely cause less impact than if it rammed into the pier where some 200 passengers were waiting to board the next sailing. The ship had just re-entered service two weeks ago after a $35 million upgrade.

It has now being towed to a local shipyard for repairs - three separate investigations are underway.

BC Ferries apparently provided some free food to those onboard and in an attempt to clear a massive backlog are going to run the ferries until all cars and passengers have cleared the various ferry terminals.

Thank goodness no one was hurt.

Dennis

Archived