New England Aquarium Whale Watch

lhall85917

We are planning to do the whale watch through the aquarium during our September NE cruise. Just wondering if anyone has done it and thinks it is worth it or perhaps we should do in another port? If so, we are planning on taking a cab there - is this the best option?

Other options to consider whale watching are Bar Harbor, Newport, Saint John or Halifax. For now we are thinking we will do Lulu's Lobster Boat in Bar Harbor, walk around in the other ports. We would like to go to Lunenburg from Halifax but haven't comitted to that yet either. Also considering the Moosehead Pub Crawl in Saint John. For some reason, I am having a lot of trouble pinning down what to do in each port - usually I see a favorite and know exactly what we would like. :o:confused:

A while back while researching a question on whale watching from Bar Harbor, I came across this -

From late April through October, a number of cetacean species feed in the Gulf of Maine, including humpback, finback and minke whales. Later in the summer, around August, northern right whales arrive. All of the various kinds of whales remain off the Maine coast into October before they head out in search of warmer waters.

Excerpted from the article Whale Watching in Bar Harbor, Maine posted at http://www.associatedcontent.com/

Whale watching tours in Bar Harbor http://www.barharborwhales.com/default.php

I can't help you with any other ports.

SBtS

The NE Aquarium whale watches go out to the Stellwagen Bank feeding grounds, so you have a pretty good chance of seeing at least one type of whale.

Up in Maine on boats out of Boothbay Harbor (not a cruise port) in late September, I've seen Minke and Finback whales. The boat had seen a pod of humpbacks the week before. No guarantee on exactly which species of whale you'll see on any given day.

There is no guarantee with any of the whale watches, except that you get another ticket if none at all are seen. But sightings can vary from a back on the far horizon to a couple of whales frolicking under the bow of the ship for the whole time. If you are fortunate enough to see a few whales up closer (which is the case on most excursions), it is a magical experience, unequaled.

All the Boston area whale watches (Boston, Hyannis, Gloucester, Provincetown, et al) go to some part of Stellwagen Bank, an extensive shallow area in the ocean off Massachusetts where the whales favorite meal of sand eels live. All of these whale watches have a naturalist aboard to narrate.

Other ports I can't speak to.

Both the Aqaurium and Boston Harbor Cruises do whale watches from Boston. Both boats (and one more company as well iirc) leave from quite near each other.

Usually it's suggested that you wait to see what the weather is going to be like on the day before committing to ticket purchase; a rough ride in choppy seas is not fun. And do bring warm clothes along; it's tens of degrees colder out at sea.

And yes, a taxi from the cruise ship dock to the Aquarium is the easiest, and not too expensive.

Enjoy.

I did the whale watch through Boston Harbor Cruises last summer and it was totally worth it. Of course there are no guarantees, and last year people were saying it was more active than usual. We saw lots of whales, and the naturalist gave all sorts of info about the individual whales. We also saw a couple harbor seals and maybe some other creatures.

One tip I have is that if you aren't already taking some seasickness meds, you might want to consider taking some before the whale watch. When we went the water was pretty choppy...and lots of people were getting seasick.

Archived