What Updates Will They Do on Oasis?

When in 2014 does Oasis head for drydock?

Her 12 day TA cruise begins September 1 followed by 2 five day cruises and 1 seven day cruise. She will enter drydock on September 30 in Rotterdam, Netherlands. She will begin her journey home on October 14.

I will be on that TA to bring Oasis back home Oct 14 and if there are changes I will be sure to report on CC first hand about them.:) Possible change photos to follow:D

I will be on that TA to bring Oasis back home Oct 14 and if there are changes I will be sure to report on CC first hand about them.:) Possible change photos to follow:D

I will be waiting with baited breath!:D

I have only been on the Allure. I never went to Rita's Cantina, so can't comment there. However, we did go to Samba's and liked the atmosphere, but wasn't too impressed with the meat. It was bland without the sauces - and I don't care for sauce on meat. So, I would probably not seek out Samba's on the Oasis. I thought it was already on the Oasis. Guess I was wrong!

I only had one hot dog, but it was a fun addition. It really worked into the Boardwalk atmosphere and seemed to be a big hit.

I am relieved to hear they have the Cupcake Cupboard on the Oasis. I am a sucker for cupcakes. I had two on the Allure!

The reason I started this thread is that I thought I had read here quite awhile ago that they were planning to replace Seafood Shack with Rita's. I like seafood (even fried!) and I love chowder, so I wouldn't mind if they kept that as it was. But since Rita's is a pay venue and always seemed to be busy I would not be surprised to see that change.

Do they offer breakfast at the Wipe Out cafe on the Oasis with fresh omelets and eggs? That turned out to be one of our favorite things on the Allure, surprisingly. We loved the view from there. The mornings were never that busy and it was very relaxing.

I would not be surprised if they change the Broadway show by then. I am sure any choice there would be good, although I would like to see Hairspray.

I will be waiting with baited breath!:D

I have only been on the Allure. I never went to Rita's Cantina, so can't comment there. However, we did go to Samba's and liked the atmosphere, but wasn't too impressed with the meat. It was bland without the sauces - and I don't care for sauce on meat. So, I would probably not seek out Samba's on the Oasis. I thought it was already on the Oasis. Guess I was wrong!

I only had one hot dog, but it was a fun addition. It really worked into the Boardwalk atmosphere and seemed to be a big hit.

I am relieved to hear they have the Cupcake Cupboard on the Oasis. I am a sucker for cupcakes. I had two on the Allure!

The reason I started this thread is that I thought I had read here quite awhile ago that they were planning to replace Seafood Shack with Rita's. I like seafood (even fried!) and I love chowder, so I wouldn't mind if they kept that as it was. But since Rita's is a pay venue and always seemed to be busy I would not be surprised to see that change.

Do they offer breakfast at the Wipe Out cafe on the Oasis with fresh omelets and eggs? That turned out to be one of our favorite things on the Allure, surprisingly. We loved the view from there. The mornings were never that busy and it was very relaxing.

I would not be surprised if they change the Broadway show by then. I am sure any choice there would be good, although I would like to see Hairspray.

Seafood Shack is also a paid venue.

The Samba alternate on Oasis is the Solarium Bistro. It's the best restaurant in the fleet in my opinion. But it's a "healthy" venue so others probably aren't interested.

Wipe Out Cafe does have the made to order omelets and eggs but we never got around to going there in 2 cruises. There are just so many options it's hard to make it to all of them. Next time we also want to to to Vintages for Tapas.

I seriously doubt they would change the show. That is something that is very difficult to change - or so they always say during the backstage tours. Other ships have had the same show ongoing for a whole lot longer than the 4 years on Oasis - 5 years by then.

Gina

The Samba alternate on Oasis is the Solarium Bistro. It's the best restaurant in the fleet in my opinion. But it's a "healthy" venue so others probably aren't interested.

Wipe Out Cafe does have the made to order omelets and eggs but we never got around to going there in 2 cruises. There are just so many options it's hard to make it to all of them. Next time we also want to to to Vintages for Tapas.

Gina

Even though I have sailed on Oasis for 6 sailings I have yet to dine at the Solarium Bistro and really want to try it. I like the looks of the menu so on my March 1 sailing that is on the list:) thanks for your thoughts on this dining venue.

Have done Vintages for Tapas about 3 times and usually go at the dinner hour. A favourite of ours.

I seriously doubt they would change the show. That is something that is very difficult to change - or so they always say during the backstage tours. Other ships have had the same show ongoing for a whole lot longer than the 4 years on Oasis - 5 years by then.

Gina

For some reason I thought that the Seafood Shack was free. Either way, I hope it stays as it is. We have plenty of Mexican Restaurants around here and not too many seafood choices.

We discovered the Wipeout Cafe for breakfast one morning since it was the only one with a "Green Light" on the Restaurant Availability screen on our first sea day (we loved that feature, btw). On our Oasis cruise we will be located aft so it will be easy for us to get to. We are looking forward to it again.

We were really looking forward to the Park Cafe on our last cruise. To be quite honest I think it was over hyped. Don't get me wrong, it was nice. However, I liked the other venues just as well. Plus we could get a sea view while eating other places, like the Wipe Out Cafe, the Solarium Cafe and the Windjammer. The roast beef sandwiches were good, but not the best-sandwich-I-have-ever-eaten as so may claim. It was also one of the more crowded venues at any one time.

I could see them adding the glass cover to chops outdoor seating in Central Park.

They added this on the Allure so people could eat on patio when it rained.

Yes, but it was also very HOT under there! I kind of felt like the ant under the magnifying glass.

Gina

I so very much agree with you about the Solarium Bistro!!!

That Restaurant is truly fantastic!!! The atmosphere, the candle light, the food, service.... everything about is says healthy chic...........The food is amazing too! Just good food.....it is really a secret! Great venue at the top front of the ship. I think if people gave it a try they'd love it.

How about updating the plugs in the room like on Allure or have they already done that?

I am under the impression that they have done that already. I think someone posted a picture some time back with the new plug in the desk surface instead of just underneath. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

I am under the impression that they have done that already. I think someone posted a picture some time back with the new plug in the desk surface instead of just underneath. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

In February when I was on Oasis the outlet had not been relocated.

Even though I have sailed on Oasis for 6 sailings I have yet to dine at the Solarium Bistro and really want to try it. I like the looks of the menu so on my March 1 sailing that is on the list:) thanks for your thoughts on this dining venue.

Have done Vintages for Tapas about 3 times and usually go at the dinner hour. A favourite of ours.

The location and atmosphere is great, the menu extensive and both the service and food has been excellent. We ate there twice last week. You could eat there every night and not get bored with the menu.

We now say we want to go back just to go to Vintages. We hadn't set foot in there in 2 cruises until the last night when we peeked in and saw that menu. The $2 and $3 items looked really appealing. Thanks for your input on this venue, too. :)

Gina

We sailed in May and one of the ship's officers said they had to replace a generator that had been down since shortly after the ship came to the US. He also said that all of the plants were going to be pulled out of Central Park since it would be late fall early winter while it is in drydock and they would all die anyways. Other than that he only said lots of normal maintenance and minor changes. He personally wanted to see the wind tunnel effect in Central Park fixed but he didn't see that happening due to the extensive amount of work that would have to be accomplished.

We sailed in May and one of the ship's officers said they had to replace a generator that had been down since shortly after the ship came to the US. He also said that all of the plants were going to be pulled out of Central Park since it would be late fall early winter while it is in drydock and they would all die anyways. Other than that he only said lots of normal maintenance and minor changes. He personally wanted to see the wind tunnel effect in Central Park fixed but he didn't see that happening due to the extensive amount of work that would have to be accomplished.

This is also what we were told by the relief horticulturalist. I was hoping someone else would say it first. The regular horticulturalist was on board this past week and he wouldn't commit to saying anything that extreme. I can't help but wonder what the reaction will be from those on board during the TA back to FL. :eek:

Gina

This is also what we were told by the relief horticulturalist. I was hoping someone else would say it first. The regular horticulturalist was on board this past week and he wouldn't commit to saying anything that extreme. I can't help but wonder what the reaction will be from those on board during the TA back to FL. :eek:

Gina

Oh you mean like me??:eek: I wonder then when the replanting will take place. When she first came over in fall 2009 I believe the plantings were done in Fort Lauderdale. When she arrives 'back home' Oct 27 she heads out for a 5 night cruise. Interesting info

Oh you mean like me??:eek: I wonder then when the replanting will take place. When she first came over in fall 2009 I believe the plantings were done in Fort Lauderdale. When she arrives 'back home' Oct 27 she heads out for a 5 night cruise. Interesting info

I've wondered the same thing. It was done if Fort Lauderdale originally and it didn't happen overnight. So where is the time allocated to do that?

I've thought that the weather in Europe might not be too cold that time of year so they could survive. But weather is unpredictable. They had loaded an awful lot of plants prior to our cruise last week and the tear out and replanting was done mostly at night. There were some empty planter beds in front of Giovanni's for a day. There are some really cold hardy plants in place even now. The newly planted Rosemary will certainly take the cold better than it takes the heat. With any luck it will just be an ongoing process, the weather won't be too cold, and minimal replacement will be needed once she returns.

Gina

I've wondered the same thing. It was done if Fort Lauderdale originally and it didn't happen overnight. So where is the time allocated to do that?

I've thought that the weather in Europe might not be too cold that time of year so they could survive. But weather is unpredictable. They had loaded an awful lot of plants prior to our cruise last week and the tear out and replanting was done mostly at night. There were some empty planter beds in front of Giovanni's for a day. There are some really cold hardy plants in place even now. The newly planted Rosemary will certainly take the cold better than it takes the heat. With any luck it will just be an ongoing process, the weather won't be too cold, and minimal replacement will be needed once she returns.

Gina

When I first sailed on Oasis on the inaugural sailing the plantings in Central Park were sparse and I recall the 'living wall' being not that full of foliage

Well on my sailings last Oct and this past Feb Central Park area is the one place I notice a huge difference and how lush the vegetation is and how it had grown. Beautiful place to spend time.

I'm excited to be on her again this nov and again next year for the TA. Ill be bringing her home from rotterdamn. Some people can board at the second stop Southampton.

I peronally having ate at all the venues on both oasis and allure am hoping that either soliarium bistro will become samba grill. I also hope they add the hot dog stand as I love it on allure. I wouldn't mind them turning gio's into a Porto. Have portofino on oasis and Giovanni's on allure.

I live in ft lauderdale so I am literally bringing her home. It will be great only having to drive 10mins to get home after a 14 day TA

I agree about Rita's. I found it very disappointing. But it seems based on comments here, that more people prefer that over the Seafood Shack.

As for the Seafood Shack, they do fried food because that's the easiest way to serve mediocre frozen seafood and not have it be terrible. grilled and blackened frozen fish doesn't quite cut it. Also, it involve a little more effort to cook than simply "dropping the basket".

Well my serving of butterfish was outstanding, not mediocre at all. I love most types of fish but this was so good I had to search for a local fish market that has it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well my serving of butterfish was outstanding, not mediocre at all. I love most types of fish but this was so good I had to search for a local fish market that has it.

Hey, I'm a sucker for some of their stuff too! But I wouldn't rate any of it all that high as far as quality of seafood goes. None of it is fresh. I won't buy frozen seafood at home, just not worth it. Unfortunately that's the only option on board.

They will probably send all of the containers back or possibly even leave them. They actually have their own nursery where they keep copies all of the plants growing so they can swap them out if something dies on a sailing so there is a possibility that they will just send everything there. It supposedly takes about 24-48 straight hours to put everything in but they also said that they get faster at it every time they do it.

One other thing I remembered them saying is that they were considering a greenhouse up on deck 18 so that they could keep common plants in it so that they could swap them out more easily if any dies while at sea. I highly doubt it would be open to guests.

Archived