Has anyone cruised through the Bay Of Biscay in December?

PASSENGERES

We are seriously considering a 10 night cruise on the Rotterdam, leaving Civitavecchia on December 11 to Harwich, London, calling at Spanish ports, Gibraltar, three Portuguese ports and 2 days at sea before debarking in the UK on December 21. Friends and colleagues are telling us that we must be crazy to travel through the Bay of Biscay in December, due to terribly rough seas, etc. Unfortunately, we cannot get away before December, so we're wondering if anyone on this board may have had experience and could give us some advice. We are in the "senior citizens" age group. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

We are seriously considering a 10 night cruise on the Rotterdam, leaving Civitavecchia on December 11 to Harwich, London, calling at Spanish ports, Gibraltar, three Portuguese ports and 2 days at sea before debarking in the UK on December 21. Friends and colleagues are telling us that we must be crazy to travel through the Bay of Biscay in December, due to terribly rough seas, etc. Unfortunately, we cannot get away before December, so we're wondering if anyone on this board may have had experience and could give us some advice. We are in the "senior citizens" age group. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

We cruised it in a November. Even though it was choppy and a bit rough I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

We were also definitely "senior citizens". I simply made sure I took Bonine as soon as I woke up and had saltine crackers available.

Edited by NMLady

We did it this last January, 2013 - heard it could be rough, but there were no problems that I remember. Left from London and next stop was Lisbon. However, I always start Bonine and ginger before the start of each trip and continue it daily for a while -- so if there were problems, that took care of it for me.

Our most favorite day we've ever had on a ship was during a huge storm off South Carolina. HUGE waves, high winds, and ice cream. LOL my husband can get motion sick on an elevator. I just made him take 1 extra bonine that day and he was totally fine. I wouldn't hesitate to book because of possibly rough seas ;)

Sailed on the Queen Elizabeth from Civitavecchia to Southampton, November 28 to December 9, 2012. We had no rough seas the two days passing through the Bay of Biscay. The worst weather of the trip was the evening after leaving Monaco. The winds were so strong that the ship was listing to port. Could not get the shower to drain until the capitan adjusted the ballast tanks to righten the ship!

Thank you all for responding to my enquiry, particuly to posters 9, 10, 11 and 12, who have now totally convinced us to do a fly-cruise vacation and stay well away from the B of B!!! I know it's possible we could be lucky and have no problems, but we just don't want to take that chance. I believe there may be a change in itinerary as well - we're checking out all possibilities.

I don't believe the time of year has much to do with the conditions in the Bay of Biscay. It can be rough at any time of year. I wouldn't let the thought of rough seas put you off provided you take the usual precautions.

Judging from the pictures of the Balmoral I'd be surprised if they were all from the Bay as there is land showing in one of them.

We have had equally rough weather off the coast of Portugal and Spain that prevented us from calling at two ports on the way home. Rough seas are something none of us want to experience but unfortunately they are part of the cruising experience.

I hope you don't let the thought of possible rough seas put you off your trip and that you are lucky and have a calm sailing.

Judging from the pictures of the Balmoral I'd be surprised if they were all from the Bay as there is land showing in one of them.......

Is not the Balmoral a pretty old ship too --maybe it does not have the same stabilizing equipment we find on other ships? Beyond my technical knowledge, Anyone else know. I just know when I see Fred Olson ships in port, they look a lot older.

-------okay, asked and answered: built in 1988: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balmoral_(cruise_ship)

Edited by OlsSalt

Don't sweat those photos of BALMORAL. The ship is pitching, not rolling and stabilizers can't do anything to reduce pitching and that goes for any ship!

Whatever you get in Biscay will depend on one simple thing... WEATHER. If it is good weather then you will have a good crossing of the Bay. If not you will have it rough. No different from anywhere else on this planet.

I have crossed the Bay many times and at all times of the year. It has been rough in June and flat calm in December. So, if you happen to have some rough weather it will last for a day... that is all it takes to cross. If I was that concerned about movement of the ship I woild not cruise at all.

Is not the Balmoral a pretty old ship too --maybe it does not have the same stabilizing equipment we find on other ships? Beyond my technical knowledge, Anyone else know. I just know when I see Fred Olson ships in port, they look a lot older.

-------okay, asked and answered: built in 1988: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balmoral_(cruise_ship)

BALMORAL is the same age as PRINSENDAM... both dating from 1988. The older Olsen ship date to the early 1970s.... former Royal Viking Line ships... as was.... PRINSENDAM!

Sailed on the Queen Elizabeth from Civitavecchia to Southampton, November 28 to December 9, 2012. We had no rough seas the two days passing through the Bay of Biscay. The worst weather of the trip was the evening after leaving Monaco. The winds were so strong that the ship was listing to port. Could not get the shower to drain until the capitan adjusted the ballast tanks to righten the ship!

Hi,

I was on this same cruise on the Queen Elizabeth last year (great cruise). I agree that the weather was fine when we sailed through the Bay of Biscay. However, I think we were fortunate. In September 1994, I crossed the Bay of Biscay on the Vistafjord (a small but sturdy ship) and we experienced very rough seas one night (I remember that my medicine cabinet suddenly opened and all of my toiletries fell to the bathroom floor). I think there is a high risk of rough seas in this area.

Chuck

Hi,

I was on this same cruise on the Queen Elizabeth last year (great cruise). I agree that the weather was fine when we sailed through the Bay of Biscay. However, I think we were fortunate. In September 1994, I crossed the Bay of Biscay on the Vistafjord (a small but sturdy ship) and we experienced very rough seas one night (I remember that my medicine cabinet suddenly opened and all of my toiletries fell to the bathroom floor). I think there is a high risk of rough seas in this area.

Chuck

Chuck...

In two weeks I embark the beautiful VISTAFJORD for my farewell cruise. Have sailed in her many times as VISTAFJORD, CARONIA and SAGA RUBY. She is being taken out of service in December. Will be sad to see her go. A fine ship and as beautiful as ever and still impeccably maintained but recently she was developed a few engine problems and the owners have decided that she should be retired.

Stephen

• 3 years later...