Cruise to Nowhere??

danyelle

I budgeted more than I needed for my first Carnival cruise in January. So instead of being smart with the extra money, I'm thinking of taking a 2 or 3 day 'cruise to nowhere' on the Carnival Legend. Its super inexpensive and leaves from NY so no airfare costs...

Has anyone ever taken a cruise to nowhere before? Were there just as many onboard activities? Was the quality of food and service the same?

Thanks

Did it last year on the Victory. It was not cheap, mainly because I booked a balcony for DD and I to share. l :rolleyes: The same activities were included, the food was the same, however the service was no where near as personalized. The waiter in the dining room never introduced himself, we never even saw our cabin steward, and the staff in general appeared to have a "lets get this over attitude". I noticed it since I had cruised on a 7 day trip before, but my DD thought this was the norm.

We DID love cruising out of NY, since I was born and raised there and there is NOTHING quite like NYC!

If you chose to go, have a wonderful time! :D

Danyelle, there's really no comparison. I did a 2 nt CTW last year. In my opinion, it's 'way too much hassle for basically 1.5 days on the ship. (I also drive to the port.)

However, the food was just as good, and they did serve lobster one night and filet mignon the other night, so they used the best two menus. I was very surprised that they had both production shows, one each night.

BUT - overall, something was missing, and not just the ports. Everything seemed to be in fast-forward motion.....just too rushed. I wouldn't do it again.:o

Thanks for the input guys! Where in nowhere does it cruise to? lol, I mean does it take you near the statue of liberty etc? Will there be sights to see besides the nyc skyline?

I did the Legend CTN last year in October. Although I loved being with my friends and being on the ship-it was a lot of hassle. We left on Friday and returned on Sunday. Our trip was not cheap-it averaged over 140/a day. Which for room, food and entertainment sound cheap it is on the high end for what I ever paid to go on a cruise. The ship arrived late so we didn't sail until dark which was beautiful. Food was awesome... but the seas were the worst ever at that time. I had the patch on and got so sea sick all day Saturday and so were a lot of others. They cruise right of NY coast in circles and we were in bad weather. They didnt sail up or down the coast to get to good weather.

You cruise out of New York harbor, just like a real cruise. Past Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, under the Verrazano Bridge, past Ambrose Light ship and out into the REAL ocean. Supposedly they cruise off of Long Island and you are out of the sight of land for your whole "sea" day. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input guys! Where in nowhere does it cruise to? lol, I mean does it take you near the statue of liberty etc? Will there be sights to see besides the nyc skyline?

You (or I should say on ours) should be going straight out into the Atlantic as far as Cape Cod reaches (only much further south), and back. We did our 2 day CTN in mid October, and perhaps they go that far to get the warmth of the gulf stream. I was wearing a sweater leaving, and shorts the next day!

They do show you the route you're taking on the TV.

I think CTN's are good for a "test run" kind of thing if you can afford it. I had a 7 night cruise booked w/my family (around 45-50 of us) and my BF had never been on a cruise. He was somewhat excited, but I wanted to be sure he would be ok, and really give him a preview of what a wonderful vacation we would have. So for his Bday, I booked a 2 night CTN on the Victory...we had a great time and he loved it...but it was very expensive...I paid $660 for the 2 of us for a Balcony cabin...plus we ran up a pretty huge bar bill. :eek: I wouldnt do it again, but we had a good time, great food and entertainment and it was a great "test run" for him...He is a fan of cruising now....not as much as I am ;) , but that's ok!! From now on, I'd just put that $660 into a longer cruise....

tb-- I agree. These cruises to nowhere are running a small fortune- I was looking at next year for my neieces gradaution and they are costing 140-160 per day for the cheap rooms- ( I guess I can cruise somewhere for the prices to nowhere.)

In the past though-- my cruises to nowhere were less then 200 pp which is not bad.

We're doing the Oct. CTN on the Legend, for a quick girl's getaway, and I agree...it's very expensive. I had a "gift certificate" from my credit card co. which made it a little more bearable. But, sometimes, getting away with your girlfriends and no children is worth any amount of money!

If we had extra time, I'd fly to Miami and take a 3 day to the Bahamas. It's about the same price.

Archived