Food

TEXASMUNK

We truly enjoy the Pointe Steakhouse on Conquest. But,we are taking a short weekender on Triumph....no Steakhouse.

So, looking for opinions on Guy's Burgers, the Mexican Restaurant on Triumph and any of the other Dining experiences.

Good/bad/Indifferent....just looking for info....thanks in advance

Here's my food summary from the Glory which is also 2.0

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/carnival-glory.html

Part III - Food!

Celebrity has a good reputation for their cuisine. We didn't know what to expect on Carnival. The meals generally met or exceeded our expectations. There was good variety. Meats were cooked to order. Yes, you could order "medium rare", and we never had to send anything back.

Glory has two 2-story dining rooms. The Golden Restaurant (midship on Deck 4) and Platinum Restaurant (Decks 3 and 4 aft) offered Assigned Dining. Early dining is at 6:00 pm and late dining is at 8:15 pm. The Golden also offers "Your Time Dining" on its lower level (Deck 3). Diners could dine at their leisure from 5:45 pm to 9:30 pm. There is occasionally a line. We had a pair of tables on Deck 4 of the Golden Restaurant and were very pleased with them.

A. Always Available at Dinner

Each night we had a new menu of items we could select for dinner which included about 3 appetizers, 3 soups, a salad, and 6 main entrees. The following items were also available every night: fruit cocktail, shrimp cocktail, fried vegetable spring rolls, Caesar salad, grilled chicken breast, broiled salmon, grilled flat iron steak, Indian vegetarian, southern fried chicken, hamburger, baked potato, steamed white rice, french fries, and steamed vegetables.

B. The Best Breakfast Items

The made to order Breakfast Burrito from the Blue Iguana Cantina, fresh made to order omelets from any of three omelet stations, and crispy bacon. I frequented the stand-alone omelet station, that will also fry fresh eggs for you, on the port side of the Red Sail Restaurant.

C. The Best Lunch Items

Guy's Burgers and fries, Blue Iguana Burritos, Seafood Bouillabaisse (fresh made soup with shellfish), Calamari Fritters, and the Fish (but not chips) from the Fish and Chips station.

D. The Best Appetizer

The appetizers were tasty and the selection very good. Each of us usually ordered 2 or 3 each night. We especially liked the tender escargot, stuffed mushrooms,

E. The Best Soups

The best soup on the entire ship can be found at the Fish and Chips station on Deck 10. It's a Seafood Bouillabaisse with mussels, clams, shrimp and fish served in a tomato and pesto broth. It's made fresh in a large pot several times during lunch right in front of you. All of the dinner soups were generally good, but not full flavored, and not always served as hot as we would have liked. The pumpkin soup was very good.

F. The Best Entrées

Prime rib, lobster tails, spare ribs, jerked pork loin, and the penne mariscos (seafood served on penne pasta with a nice tomato-based sauce) was excellent. Note that one entree each night was usually available as an appetizer too.

G. The Best Desserts

Yes, the warm chocolate meting cake is as good as everyone says it is when it's fully cooked. It's like a fluffy brownie with melted chocolate at the bottom. (When it's not fully cooked it's like a bowl full of hot chocolate pudding). We also liked cherries jubilee and the fresh tropical fruit plate. The best ice creams included: butter pecan, toasted almond, and the bailey's irish cream (the later two were served in the Emerald Restaurant). We also loved the ice cream available 24-hours a day in the 3 self-serve ice cream machines on Deck 9. We did not like the cheesecake. It's not a traditional thick NY Style cheesecake.

H. Room Service

You can order room service 24-hours a day. We didn't order anything from room service.

I. Midnight Buffets

I don't recall seeing a midnight buffet on this cruise. However, they do put out late night snacks from 11:30 pm to 1:00 am and the following items are available 24-hours: pizza, ice cream, coffee, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, guava juice and orange juice. Note that milk (skim, 2%, and chocolate) can only be found on the buffet or restaurants when they are open.

J. Guy's Burgers

Not to be missed! Guy's Burger Joint on Deck 9 is open from Noon to 6:00 pm. This is by far the best hamburger we have enjoyed at sea! Hamburgers are hand-formed from fresh ground beef, grilled, and placed on a tasty bun. A condiment bar (with crispy bacon, grilled onions, mushrooms, lettuce, tomatoes, and other items) is located nearby to top off your burger. They also cook up some great fries to go with your burger.

K. Blue Iguana Cantina

Open from 7:30 am to 10:30 am for breakfast, and Noon to 2:30 pm for lunch. They offer made to order breakfast burritos and made to order normal burritos during the respective meal times. They also have a condiment bar with lots of fixings for your meal and well over a dozen different hot sauces. The burritos are very good. Hint: grab some bacon from the buffet at breakfast and they'll be happy to wrap it in your breakfast burrito. They don't have bacon at the Cantina.

L. Fish and Chips

Hint: Locate this early in your voyage. It's located on Deck 10, up the stairwell in the back of the Red Sail Restaurant. This "hidden" area has over 50 tables that are rarely used. We ate all of our meals up there. The Fish and Chips station is very good, and it will take most folks a few days to discover it. They offer the best soup on the ship, as well as fish and chips (skip the chips and grab the fries at Guy's Burgers instead), crisp fried oysters, and calamari zucchini maui onion fritters.

M. Pizzeria and Deli

There is dedicated Pizzeria open 24-hours and a Deli open from 11:00 am to 11:00 pm. Both are good. The pizzeria is in the back of the ship on Deck 9, while the Deli is in the middle of the Red Sail Restaurant on the Port side. The pizzeria features 5 or 6 personal pizzas which they will bake fresh for you. The deli has excellent, thinly-sliced deli meats, and will make sandwiches (cold or flat grilled) to order.

N. The Emerald Restaurant - Glory's Specialty Restaurant

We enjoyed a meal in The Emerald Restaurant on Deck 10 in celebration of my mother's birthday. The cover charge is $35 per person. Seating is limited and reservations are required. Service is very high end --- as is the food. What you are paying for is a special dining experience that is slowly paced that you won't soon forget. Our consensus favorites: soup = lobster bisque, salad = baby leaf spinach with crumbled blue cheese and mushrooms, main = 18-ounce spice-rubbed prime ribeye steak, an the chocolate sampler for desert. It included both of our favorite ice creams on this cruise: toasted almond and bailey's irish cream. It was a very pleasant 2-hour dining experience in a fancy venue with great food and outstanding service.

We loved Guys burgers on the Liberty. I had the burritos for breakfast twice and they were good as well.

Now if I had a choice, of course I would go for a steak instead of either of the above.

We are on the Triumph next month. Instead, we have booked the Chef's table. We have done the Chef's table four times and it's always a great meal and experience.

We are trying to book the Chef's table...I understand it is offered on Triumph. But NOWHERE and I mean NOWHERE on the web site can I find it or how to book it....Any info would be truly appreciated.

You should book ahead of time. If you wait until on the ship you could be left out!!

Email cclsupport@carnival.com they should be able to help you.

Archived