Has anyone had any luck.....?

My stepdaughter and her friend just canceled for our Alaskan cruise, one day before final payment is due! I have already bought airfare because I had to jump on it when the price was good. If I had waited until final payment the price would have been over $100 more per person. Anyway, my question is, has anyone had any luck getting a credit with United Airlines for a future flight if you have to cancel? Getting them at the good price meant that they were nonrefundable, of course, but I'm not asking for my money back. I just want to be able to apply it to a future flight, even if I have to pay the fee for changes.

I hope to hear from someone about this!

Lesson learned.....never kill yourself planning a trip involving young adults who are not clear on the concept of committing to a plan!

Call the airline to discuss. In business travel, we are cancelling non refundable tickets all the time and then using them on other flights. The clue is they are non refundable, meaning no money back, but you should be able to change the reservation and use the ticket. They will likely charge a change fee sometimes estimated at $100 per ticket.

terri23,

Oh yes, we're still doing the cruise! Just my stepdaughter and her cabin mate dropped out. DH says we're definitely still on board!!!

Txkroozer, thanks for the advice. That's what I figured....I'm not trying to get my money back, just trying to not throw it down the toilet. If I can use it in the future, plus any fees, that's fine with me!

Thanks for your help!!!

Emilygrace,

Are you saying you and your DH are still going on the cruise but you paid for your DD's plane ticket so now you don't want to lose the $$ for her ticket? Normally you can change a ticket and pay the change gee. Usually $100 for the major airlines. However, in my experience the tickets are non transferable. The ticket would have to stay in her name.

Does this answer your question or am I just being a dunce this afternoon?

Sounds to me that DD needs to reimburse any financial losses to you... and if you shelled out the airfair for her friend she needs to reimburse those losses as well.....

Young adults need to learn lessons as well.

I agree with you, Mildred. I think the DD should pay for any costs incurred associated with her cancellation as well. I'm just glad Emilygrace's trip wasn't dependent on them going. THAT would be a shame. Have a great cruise!

Hi Walter!!!

Guess what.....I'm coming back to Boston next year! I'm going to book another cruise while I'm on the Serenade. John won't be with me for that one, so I'll be sailing with a friend.

Did you ever book anything for this year?

Why not call the airlines and tell them you need to cancel daughter's tickets, which you paid for, and ask if they can use them to upgrade you and hubby to first class and make a really great flight for you.

Just a thought....

Hey, that's an idea! Too bad it's such a short flight, not much time to enjoy the luxury! But someone told me that the credit has to stay in the name of the person booked, regardless of who paid for it.

I'm not going to let this ruin my weekend and I'm going to take care of it right after the holiday.

Hi Emilygrace,

We booked a cruise on the Enchantment OTS out of Boston. This is a Charter cruise by a company called The Vacation Outlet. This is only a 5 Day. Leaves on Tuseday 8/30 & returns Sunday 8/4. We have a Junior Suite on deck 8. Midship.

Stops in Martha Vineyard,Bar Habor, and Halifax. What cruise are you leaving from Boston. We love the Serenade OTS. We went on her for our 2nd N.E./Canada from Boston. Please let me know the details:) :)

I'll give you a personal tour of Fenway Park.

Happy Sailings!

Archived