New England/Canada Cruises

BrooklynGirl2

I am exploring the possibility of taking a Celebrity cruise up to New England and on to Canada Halifax and Quebec City.

I notice the cruises are in the fall (Sept/Oct). How is the weather usually and are the seas rough going northward. I've only sailed to Bermuda.

Did you enjoy the ports? What ship were you on?

Thanks for any information.

We have done the Canada/New England Fall Foliage cruise twice, once on Crystal Harmony, and second time on HAL's Westerdam (now a Costa ship).

A great itinerary, and if you hit the colors right, beautiful (we hit them right 1st time 10-92).

Both times we sailed from Canada South - and usually that direction is smoother, due to ocean currents, etc. It can be somewhat bumpy around Cape Breton and south, as many of the Florida storms "die out" in this area.

Isn't it wonderful we have so many choices?

September October weather tends to be warm at the beginning and cooler later. Warm water stays until end of october although once you get past Mass unless you are a hardy type swimming is cold. I really liked Hailfax and Bar Harbor. The time we went even though there was a hurricaine in the Atlantic it still was pretty calm. Yo Brooklyn :)

We were on the Norwegian Crown last September 13-22- 10 days out of Baltimore. Ports were Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Quebec City and Boston.

Weather last year at every port: sunny, high 65-75, low 50-60. 45 minutes of light rain while in Halifax.

About 8 hours of rough seas in the North Atlantic on our way to Boston. Unfortunately, the roughness started immediately after the chocolate buffet - horrible timing.

We took no organized shore excursions. All those cities are wonderful for walking or public transportation. For example, Bar Harbor has an incredible bus system that allows you to make an all-day tour of Acadia National Park at a very low cost. Bus "terminal" is about 2 blocks from the port.

Halifax has a beautiful waterfront with significant architecture nearby and it's easy walking.

Quebec City has the Chateau Frontenac, great street galleries, wonderful hills for incredible views (and a funicular if you're not into walking up hill or up a lot of stairs).

Sydney doesn't have anything to speak of tthat's within walking distance, so for us, it was just a day of leisure.

And Boston is Boston. I don't know if there's a better walking city anywhere (and it also has excellent public transportation).

Of course, prepare for cool, wet weather. Better safe than sorry.

By the way, fall foliage is spectacular. We were too early for the best part of it, but even in mid-September, there was enough color change for us to thoroughly enjoy.

Have a great time!

We did the cruise to Quebec last September roundtrip from NYC. The weather was beautiful and no wintry weather gear was needed. In fact, we're doing it again on Constellation (same ship as last time) this October. There was an umbrella in the stateroom but it wasn't really needed. The seas were fine and there wasn't any noticeable seasickness that I can remember. The ports are very easy to explore and Quebec is a wonderful place to spend two days- walkable, great cafes, places to see, etc. We prefer autumn weather to hot days so that's a factor to consider.

Susan (neighbor from Belle Harbor)

We did this cruise last year and the weather was brisk and cool, wonderful air and if you dress for it very comfortable. We enjoyed it so much we are going back again in 2006. Loved all of it, especially Quebec City which is quaint and beautiful.

We did this cruise last year and the weather was brisk and cool, wonderful air and if you dress for it very comfortable. We enjoyed it so much we are going back again in 2006. Loved all of it, especially Quebec City which is quaint and beautiful.

Marie, when are you going back. We are on the 10/5/06 sailing of the Constellation. I think it is a tad too early to start a roll call so I saw this post and thought I would ask.

Marilyn

Archived