Coxen Hole vs Mahogany Bay

Singer4Him

Coxen Hole pier is right in the middle of town. (We will be there on our next cruise on NCL. Just stopped at a couple of shops on our last trip there on Carnival)

Mahogany Bay, you dock north east of town, in the middle of nowhere, with just the entirely fake, cookie cutter pier area.

If you don't want to experience the actual island you are on and just want the same cookie cutter shops and bars from inside every other caribbean cruise pier compound and the fake beach with murky water, right off the ship, then Mahogany Bay pier will be a dream.

Tons of people just stayed there for the day.

The fake beach was packed when we got back from touring the island.

It is new and very clean, but that was the only positives I saw in it.

Exact same things to be seen at Costa Maya and its new fake pier area.(except better beach area in Roatan)

We got out and toured the entire island.

The water at West Bay was so clear it was incredible.

So worth it to get out and experience the island.

Gorgeous views all over the island.

Bill

Coxen Hole pier is right in the middle of town. (We will be there on our next cruise on NCL. Just stopped at a couple of shops on our last trip there on Carnival)

Mahogany Bay, you dock north east of town, in the middle of nowhere, with just the entirely fake, cookie cutter pier area.

If you don't want to experience the actual island you are on and just want the same cookie cutter shops and bars from inside every other caribbean cruise pier compound and the fake beach with murky water, right off the ship, then Mahogany Bay pier will be a dream.

Tons of people just stayed there for the day.

The fake beach was packed when we got back from touring the island.

It is new and very clean, but that was the only positives I saw in it.

Exact same things to be seen at Costa Maya and its new fake pier area.(except better beach area in Roatan)

We got out and toured the entire island.

The water at West Bay was so clear it was incredible.

So worth it to get out and experience the island.

Gorgeous views all over the island.

Bill

Tell us how you really feel. :D

Ditto for what bguppies said :cool:

Roatan is way too beautiful to sit at a "fake" compound that was built for the sole purpose of squeezing more money out of the cruisers that they would otherwise put into the economy of the island.......

The scenery is gorgeous, the people are friendly, the beaches are white and powdery, the water is crystal clear and full of beautiful sea life and the food is yummy and fairly cheap. Oh - and a private tour is still very reasonable in cost.

I am one of those who travel to experience the places I go...... otherwise I would just stay home :rolleyes:

The ONLY reason we may just stay at Mahogany Bay next March is that we we have already been to Roatan three times , and if you have not been ,please get away from Mahogany and see the rest of the beautiful island.

SANY1885.jpg

image hosting flickr

SANY1868.jpg

how do i print screen

SANY1879.jpg

image hosting websites

SANY2344.jpg

windows print screen

The ONLY reason we may just stay at Mahogany Bay next March is that we we have already been to Roatan three times , and if you have not been ,please get away from Mahogany and see the rest of the beautiful island.

SANY1885.jpg

image hosting flickr

SANY1868.jpg

how do i print screen

SANY1879.jpg

image hosting websites

SANY2344.jpg

windows print screen

Where were these pics taken?? Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. First three were near Oakridge , east part of Roatan , and the last was at West Bay beach..The east end is worth a visit if you go to Roatan more than once as it is really different there, houses that are reached by boat, etc.Last photo having a cool one at the famous Hole in the Wall restaurant, also reached by boat.

SANY1837.jpg

image upload no size limit

SANY1878.jpg

tool to take screen snapshot

SANY1876.jpg

tool to take screen snapshot

SANY1882.jpg

free screen capture software

Thanks for all of the replies. I was a little disappointed when I realized that it would be a different port. You've eased my mind and now I'm excited about booking a cruise that will port at Coxen Hole!!

Coxen hole is fine. Have walked outside the gates and went into the town many times . Some people have said that it is not safe but like anywhere just watch your surroundings. Some of the crew go into town so they can get on the internet in some of the bars. There is a shop in the town that sell local gifts including coffee.

In Oct will be taking a 5 hour tour with victor bodden and will go into the town afterwards. I really don't like those self contained cruise ports as it does not show the real country.

Enjoy your trip.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The first time I was there, it was a dirt parking lot! :cool:

True and remember the SHOCK of leaving the small gated area! All of those locals would bombard -- taxi drivers and vendors. :eek:

We always took an excursion thru the ship and was glad we did.

Fortunately, it's way better now at Coxen Hole. :)

LuLu

Archived