Required Vaccinations and Immunizations?

dleighb

What vaccinations and immunizations do you get before going to Roatan? I've looked at the CDC and it looks a little scary. Are they all really necessary? Has anyone been and skipped some of them?

Hep A and Typhoid are mentioned. Could we just drink bottled water and eat pre-packaged food and not worry about those?

What vaccinations and immunizations do you get before going to Roatan? I've looked at the CDC and it looks a little scary. Are they all really necessary? Has anyone been and skipped some of them?

We've gone a number of times and have never gotten any vaccinations or immunizations. They must not be necessary, because I've been all over the island and never suffered any repercussions. :cool:

Were you looking at information specifically for Roatan, or Honduras in general?

Have visited 3 times - once on a cruise stop and twice for a week each time.... never got any vaccinations or immunizations.

I think most of these are for Honduras mainland and not Roatan. But usually the CDC just lumps them all together for a country - and not a specific area such as an island 40 miles off the coast......

If you go during wet season - just take mosquito spray if you will be out in the jungle areas (zipping or such).....otherwise your fine.

We have eaten all over the island and have not had any problems. We do drink bottled water when not at our condo tho.....just to be on the safe side :)

Never had any vaccinations before any of our western caribbean cruises.

Just know that if you like to donate blood, you will be banned when you arrive home, immunizations or not.

Bill

Just to clarify - I am a regular blood platelet donor at the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center - because I traveled to Roatan and traveled outside Belize City (cave tubing) I can't donate for 12 months. Just wanted everyone to know you aren't permanently banned.

We just went this month (August) I did take & use mosquito spray, but did not feel like I really needed it. Glad I used it as a precaution though.

For the record - no extra vaccinations in advance for us either.

Yes, the CDC site is for Honduras and Belize in general not specifically the cruise cities. Thanks for you reassurance! I won't worry about them now. Although I probably need to get my tetnus updated, but that doesn't hurt to have in the U.S. either.

Archived