NCL confirms purchase in Belize, the New Harvest Caye

FIRELT5

Interesting link. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if it has anything to do with the violence in Belize City or the need for tendering there.

You have really been on a lot of cruises to have high status on all those lines!

This is a very smart buniness decision because NCL will be able to keep most of the revenues from excursions as I think that most people will want to stay in the "private" island.

Additionally, the investment by NCL suggests that NCL is planning on having a majority of their ships doing the western caribbean itineraries. Futhermore, the idea that NCL will have two private islands in the caribbean might indicate that NCL will continue to build mega ships that will draw big crowds regardless of the destination.

This is just my opinion.

My guess (and I'll admit it's a SWAG) based on this:

The creation of the destination will also help relieve cruise tourism pressures in Belize City which has been called for in Belize’s National Sustainable Tourism Master Plan.

Is that instead of flooding Belize City with some people who only want to get drunk or sit on the beach, they can accomplish that on the private island - then people who want to go on shore excursions to the ruins, etc could do that.

Is that instead of flooding Belize City with some people who only want to get drunk or sit on the beach, they can accomplish that on the private island - then people who want to go on shore excursions to the ruins, etc could do that.

Another interesting observation is that Harvest Caye is located in Southern belize. It think that it would be almost impossible to do Lamanai as an excursion from this new location.

the article i read a couple weeks ago said Belize made them sign a contract that they couldnt reduce the number of calls on belize city and this would be a added port.. Im guessing You could expect less calls on Roatan? Or a jamician port? Hopefully cozumel will go I would love a cruise to Grand cayman Costa maya Belize city and this new port!

the article i read a couple weeks ago said Belize made them sign a contract that they couldnt reduce the number of calls on belize city and this would be a added port.. Im guessing You could expect less calls on Roatan? Or a jamician port? Hopefully cozumel will go I would love a cruise to Grand cayman Costa maya Belize city and this new port!

I have to admit, two stops in Belize would be awesome!

Of course, my wife and I would disagree with you - we'd rather see Costa Maya go, and Cozumel stay! :)

I have to admit, two stops in Belize would be awesome!

Of course, my wife and I would disagree with you - we'd rather see Costa Maya go, and Cozumel stay! :)

Been to Cozumel to many times now i stay on the ship.. Been to costa maya once went to maya chan and would go back tomorrow.. If you ever go to costa maya book maya chan !

If NCL did away with Cozumel or Roatan for two stops in Belize, that would kill their Western Itinerary for me.

I definitely wouldn't mind switching from the armpit of the Caribbean that Belize City is, to a new private island in southern Belize.

But keeping the horrible Belize City stop and dropping either Roatan or Cozumel would be a deal breaker for us.

Bill

What does SWAG mean?

I've heard of 2 meanings:

- Stuff We All Get (as in Swag-bags / hand-outs at parties)

- Short for swagger

But neither seems to fit here.... so I'm unfamiliar with the term. OP?

Thanks,

Stephen

If NCL did away with Cozumel or Roatan for two stops in Belize, that would kill their Western Itinerary for me.

I definitely wouldn't mind switching from the armpit of the Caribbean that Belize City is, to a new private island in southern Belize.

But keeping the horrible Belize City stop and dropping either Roatan or Cozumel would be a deal breaker for us.

Bill

Many of us do enjoy Belize City and appreciate it for what it is as well as being able to get to other locales in Belize that wouldn't be possible from the private island. I would welcome an additional stop in Belize but definitely don't want to do away with stopping in Belize City. We've been 4 times, with a 5th booked.

Personally, I consider Jamaica the armpit of the Caribbean no matter which of the 3 ports you stop in. And if I have to choose between Coz and Costa Maya, I'd go for Costa Maya every time! Been to Coz 7 times and I'm pretty over it.

I guess I'm one of the few who are going to Belize to see "Belize" If I wanted to sit on another private island I would have gone on a cruise which stops at GSC

This, exactly. I don't have a problem with the private island per se, but I still want to see all the actual islands, even with all their 'issues'. :o

When is this expected to be up and running? Not sailing to Belize until 2015. I'm going to be seriously bummed if this is the new stop and not Belize City. I've been hyping up cave tubing to my family for years and I hate paying the cruise line for an excursion I can do cheaper on my own.

I prefer Belize city to a private Belize island. I have more choices than just another beach day on private island with high prices.

But any cruise port is better than no cruise at all

It would have to be another stop . Belize City and Harvest Caye are a good clip apart.

Plus I see there is/was some resort development planned . Is that being canceled due to NCL ownership ?

I would not be in favor of skipping Belize City for another private Island (beach day )

But I enjoyed the two stops I've been to on Belize.

Once we took a water taxi to Caulker Caye and once we did cave tubing which for me was one of my all time favorite excursions.

I am looking forward to my next stop there to do the ruins.

Don't really need another beach day. We've been to so many islands for land stays that almost every island stop is a beach day.

Boy, I hope they dont take Roatan away...:(...That is my favorite stop...Maybe they will just start having more ships and some will do the island and others will do Belize City...or just kind of switch it up with the trips from NOL one week does Belize City and the next the island...that would work for me..lol...

But I enjoyed the two stops I've been to on Belize.

Once we took a water taxi to Caulker Caye and once we did cave tubing which for me was one of my all time favorite excursions.

I am looking forward to my next stop there to do the ruins.

Don't really need another beach day. We've been to so many islands for land stays that almost every island stop is a beach day.

Agree. We've been there twice and had a blast both times. The cave tubing is still on my bucket list. We went to the Lamanai ruins in January and it was fabulous. The people were really, really nice both times. Excursions out of the city were fine, although the city tour was canceled due to some very heavy duty gang violence the day before we were there in January. Apparently that is nothing new as we were told in 2007 not to leave the gated port area on our first time there.