Can't I just leave the bathroom light on?

discraz

1st time cruiser here. We booked an inside cabin and everyone suggest to bring a night light because it will be so dark. We usually leave the bathroom light on when we stay in hotels. Won't this work on the ship?

1st time cruiser here. We booked an inside cabin and everyone suggest to bring a night light because it will be so dark. We usually leave the bathroom light on when we stay in hotels. Won't this work on the ship?

Whadaya think this is...a Motel 6 ???

Just kidding !!:D Of course you can leave the light on. The door may bang back and forth if you are in rough seas though. I would suggest small flashlights by the bed-side.

I book inside cabins and always do that. At times the motion of the ship can cause the door to shut, so you may want to put a towel in the corner of the door to keep it open.

IMO - You could leave the light on but here's what happens. Your in a very confined space. If you were to leave the bathroom door open the flourescent lighting takes over the space (hence no longer a night light but rather a light period!). I don't remember having the ability to keep the door halfway closed. It's either open or closed. Especially if the ship is pitching or rolling the door open would not be a good idea to listen to banging against the wall all night. Just my opinion.

Good luck and have fun on your crusie!

My husband demands complete darkness. But I can't find my way to the bathroom in complete darkness. I wish I could sleep through the night, but...

So, I always leave the bathroom light on (every single cruise). But I close the door. It does stay shut and only the faintest light shows around the perimeter of the door way - just enough so I can find my way to the bathroom. And it doesn't keep him awake.

Maybe our solution will work for you, too.

Due to some ships plumbing system and depending on how full of S**t the other people are on your line, leaving your bathroom door open is not a good idea. Towards the end of the week it gets worse if you know what I mean. We bring one of those plug-in room smelly things that has the little night light with it. Takes care of two problems. Also remember that drop cord. Most rooms only have one outlet.

I bring a night light works great!!!

We kept the TV on one of the Cruise ship channels when we had an inside room. The bathroom door would not stay ajar because of the motion. If we were to get an inside room again (doubtful, we love the balcony) I think I could find the space for a nightlight. There are usually outlets by the dressing mirror.We slept like logs because inside rooms make you lose perspective of time.

Have a great Cruise

I tried the "leave the bathroom door ajar" thing but it didn't work for me. It always ended up swinging wide open and staying that way. In such a small, confined space this bathroom lights up the entire cabin. The cabin isn't anywhere near as big as a standard hotel room. It's basically one small room with the bathroom right there by you.:(

I left the bathroom light on but closed the bathroom door which worked well until DH and kids went to the bathroom. They always left the bathrooom door open when they finished. I kept telling them to close the door with the light on when they finished in the bathroom but the kids said they couldn't see well enough to climb up into their bunks safely with the bathroom door closed.:rolleyes:

After getting tired of getting up in the middle of the night to close the bathroom door after different family members, I finally pulled out my trusty nightlight I brought. It worked well though it was a little bright and my DH complained about it. Ever since that first cruise, my kids have brought their own little pink "Barbie" flashlights to use during the night. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a small fold up travel alarm clock that has a built in night light. I just pick up the travel alarm clock and push the night light button to see my way to and from the bathroom. It's a perfect solution and serves a dual purpose since the cabins don't come with clocks. And my DH doesn't complain since the only time there is light is when one of us pushes the night light button on the clock to see.:)

We do travel with a night light. But I have purchased tiny flashlights for each of us to keep near the bed or on the table by the sofa bed. This give us just the right amount of light to maneuver through the cabin...

We bought a little night lite that has a little smiley face on it and you push it to turn it on & off. Got it at Walmart for about a buck. Just enough light, leaving the bathroom light on makes it to much light for us.

We always use a night light. I use either a red or blue Christmas tree bulb. There is usually a plug in the desk area and it is just enough light to see, but not be bothersome. Even when we had a blacony, we keep the drapes closed so we use the nightlight. Have a great cruise.

My husband demands complete darkness. But I can't find my way to the bathroom in complete darkness. I wish I could sleep through the night, but...

So, I always leave the bathroom light on (every single cruise). But I close the door. It does stay shut and only the faintest light shows around the perimeter of the door way - just enough so I can find my way to the bathroom. And it doesn't keep him awake.

Maybe our solution will work for you, too.

This is the same thing we do when we have an inside cabin. I like to sleep in a dark room, but have just enough light to go to the bathroom if we need it. This works fine.

The question as to whether or not this will work for you is what do you need ligth for and how much light you need! Just enough to get to the bathrrom if you need it, or more? If you need more, bring a light. If you just need a path to go to the bathroom, the bath light on with the door closed should work fine. There is a large enough crack under the door to work.

We use the small flashlight and travel alarm that lights up.

I think that all of the suggestions so far have been good. It depends on how much or little light you want/need.

We always book insides and have had some that are dark as a tomb (great for afternoon naps) and one where the light from the hallway came under the door to the point that we put towels at the base to keep the light down.

Charlie

That was the only thing I liked about an inside cabin was how dark it got....I love having it pitch dark when I sleep....this cruise however with a balcony will be a different story, guess I will need a mask! :)

Recently cruised the Conquest in an inside cabin (inside for the first time); we packed night lights but didn't even use them. You'll be able to leave the bathroom light on if you want; there are small lamps right next to the bed if you need light to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

We had an inside cabin and left the bathroom light on. It worked out perfectly. We did end up sleeping until 10am every day because there was no daylight. I missed breakfast in the dining room until the end of the cruise.

That was my way of saving a few calories to make room for dessert later in the day.

"

clam-umbrella.gifsailinglisa user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser"

"I agree with enjoyinglife..................keep the bathroom light on and the door tightly closed. Plenty enough light to make it to the bathroom and back."

Me too!

10_3_3.gif

I bought a "tap light" at our local 99 cent store. I leave it on the bedside table. When I need to get up in the night, I tap it on and carry it with me to the bathroom. It gives just enough light to not bother anyone else. It also is very dim in the bathroom which is great for me. I HATE the bright lights of the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Judy

Archived