Le Saint Sulpice, Montreal

Please be gentle, this is my first post.

My DW and I have booked the Le Saint Sulpice 9/2 prior to our 9/3 Maasdam cruise to Boston. Any comments? We are arriving early on Friday and want to see the old city of Montreal. Any ideas? Thank you.

I don't know this hotel but it looks amazing. There are no big hotels in that area so I'm quite sure that it will be very quaint in an upscale way. Does that make sense? What I mean is that it seems to capture the charm of Old Montreal.

As far as things to do, you are surrounded by the beauty of the city. A block away from the Old Port, you can stroll along there or rent roller blades or bikes or those tandem bikes. Take a boat ride over to Ile Ste. Helene or a dinner cruise. Ile St. Helene is home of La Ronde (Six Flags amusement park), and the old site of Expo '67. There is an Old Fort on the island and a Biosphere which was the U.S. Pavillion during Expo.

Place Jacques Cartier is where the street vendors and artists go, selling jewelry or their art work. It's right in the center of Old Montreal and very touristy. It's a lively, fun atmosphere. I live in the burbs of Montreal but still bring my kids down there once or twice a year so that we can feel like we are on vacation :) There are also restaurants with an outside terrace so you can eat or have a drink and people watch.

Rue St. Paul has many stores and boutiques (alot of them catering to tourists) but also many art galleries and good restaurants. Notre Dame Basilica is one of many historical places to visit.

You could also take a caleche ride (horse and buggy) around the area to see some sights.

Very Important! Many of the streets in this part of town are cobblestone so make sure to wear comfortable shoes and no heels for your wife. She is likely to sprain her ankle.

If you have never been to Montreal, I think you will enjoy it. I think it is a beautiful city with an international flare. It has so much to offer. Don't be intimidated by the French language. It's part of the charm and you will always be able to find English spoken in stores and restaurants.

Have a great visit!

Archived