Which River Tubing tour with ship? Or Antours?

MrsBBuffalo

It is very hard to tell the difference between Celebrity's River Tubing Tours in Dominica. We are looking at RO13 Wacky Rollers River Tubing, RO15 River Tubing + Emerald Pool or RO53 River Tubing, Rainforest Drive and Hibiscus Falls. Only RO15 mentions Layou River. All the descriptions say 1 1/2 hrs of tubing, but other posts I see here say most people have 45 mins. And then I see recommendations for Antours as well.

Please post if you took one of these tours. I'm trying to find out if they are located on different rivers? Also did you visit the Emerald Pool before or after the Tubing? We are fine with a hike but hiking while wet doesn't appeal to us. We are 35-65 and comfortable in the water.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Just got off the Summit and did the Emerald Pool + tubing while at Dominica. We went to the falls first, and then on to the river. The river was up a quite a bit due to rains the last 2 weeks. It made for a fun ride (at least for me, but I have experience). One lady in our group was overwhelmed by it and needed assistance pretty quickly. Overall length was about 30 or 40 minutes, with a stop in the middle to let everyone catch up. It wasn't really bunching everyone up as much as letting the guides move from one section of the river downstream to get set out on the second half. Lots of scenery along the drive back.

Here is a link to some photos of the ship's tubing and Emerald Pool tour in March 2012. The description at the top of the photo gallery is identical to a short review I posted in this forum when we got back - you could probably find it in an old message thread here.

Bottom line: Ships tour, I had fun but several in our group had minor injuries. I don't know if this was due to the water level or typical all the time.

If you do the tubing be sure to wear water shoes with soles to help you push off from rocks when needed and remember to keep your butt up high when going over rocks & falls. I think a most of the injuries were for people without shoes on and who had their bottoms or legs scraped.

Edited by Lsimon