Opera 3rd Sept 2005

pujro

Newbie here, just booked our first cruise(feeling nervous already!), Sept 3rd on the Opera. Any other Brits aboard?

Also a few questions if anyone can help?

What happens on the last day, we dock at 08:30, but our return flights are 18:00, which is great because (hopefully) we get all day in Venice but what can we do with luggage for the day?(no rude answers please!) Do MSC take us direct to the airport in the morning? If so I guess it's a case of stash the luggage and taxi back to Venice? How far from the port is Venice Marco Polo airport?

Onboard

What are typical drinks charges, beer, spirits, etc?

Are there quieter areas to just have a drink and chill out?

Any other tips for a first timer?

Cheers

pujro

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I was on Opera on the 4th June - fear not, you will have a fantastic time.

On the last day, everone has to be off Opera by 10.00. Transport by coach is provided by MSC ( check transfers are included in your package deal though, as some were not) to get to Marco Polo. I left shortly after 09.00 and my flight was scheduled for 12.30. Alternatives for passengers with later flights were:

1. Leave luggage in storage bay at the port, approx 3.50 euros per piece, then make own way to explore delights of Venice. There are taxis at the port, approx cost of 8 euros to Pl. Roma where you can then get a water bus ( vaporetto) to explore Venice. The ticket prices for vaporetto are about 3.50 euros each journey and 5 euros for journeys down the Grand Canal. A value ticket, costing 10.50 euros, gives you unlimited vaporetto travel. I did hear that you can get a vaporetto from the port area but I am not too certain about that. I understand that MSC provide a shuttle to Pl. Roma to pick up new passengers but am not sure if this facility is available to passengers leaving, sorry. Remember, if you leave your cases at the port, you will have to return to pick them up then make your way to Marco Polo.

2.You could get to Pl.Roma and store your cases in the facility there. I think it is similar price. This would make it easier then, when returning to the airport, as you can get a bus direct to Marco Polo. I believe they are quite frequent and cheap.

3. The English Hostess told us that for passengers who have flights later than 16.00, there is an 'organised' half day excursion to St. Mark's Square ( Piazza San Marco). This costs 29 euros per person and lasted approx 5 hours.It involves transfer by boat to San Marco and then free time to explore. At the end, you would be returned to the port for transfer to the airport. Methinks that is expensive!

Regarding cost of drinks, I thought they were very reasonable. Beer ranged from 2 - 4.30 euros, Spirits and liqueurs from 3 - 7 euros, long mixer drinks about 4.20 euros and soft drinks about 2.10 euros. Cocktails were from 4.70 - 4.90 with cocktail of the day being 4 euros. There are areas to sit and drink quietly in most of the lounges.

I am so jealous that you are going:)

Enjoy your cruise. Hope this has been useful to you.

ps. forgot to mention -I am not too sure that there is a storage facility at the airport, if you are considering going directly there, storing bags, then returning to Venice. Probably with the enhanced security measures in place, although I could be wrong. May be worthwhile checking with your airline if there is, or if you can check in bags earlier. Have fun:)

Thankyou so much for replying. I suppose your option 2 is best for us.

I have other questions, maybe you or another member can help? I bet there'll be more queries the nearer we get to departure!

Does the ship sail at 16:00 as per the schedule? Our flight arrival is only a short time before this, and despite the fact that it's booked by the operator, I'm a bit concerned that we'll end up in a canoe trying to catch up!

I believe that on-board spend is charged "on account" and paid at the end? What about other currencies, do you get it "there and then" or before you sailed?

Sad I know, but I need to keep in contact with work(don't ask, it's a long story), does a mobile phone work on board, near to port, at sea, or when?

There is a left luggage place at Marco Polo Airport, but I have never used it. The phone number can be found on the website http://www.veniceairport.it/?lan=en under the site map. It's located on the arrivals floor over the to far left from the entrance [marked 'other' on the website plans], I had a wander around wasting time on my last visit and saw it, but I don't know what it costs. I have used the left luggage at the cruise terminal twice, they have a spot in each terminal .. just remember they close at 6pm. The details can be found at http://www.vtp.it/Default.jsp?language=1

If you come back before say 4pm, you will still be able to use the MSC shuttle to the airport. Find out the time of the last one before disappearing out for the day. We just told the lady with the clipboard organising it, that we would be there for the last bus, not the time we had been allocated, and all worked well.

Don't worry about arriving late if MSC have booked your flights. They will be there to meet you and get you to the ship. We had a late arrival for Melody a couple of years ago, there was no-one except us 15 or so passengers off our flight in the check-in area, which was very speedily dealt with, everything was ready & they were just waiting for us. We were actually last up the gangway, which was lifted as soon as my son stepped of it, and away we went. If your flight is delayed so long they can't wait, I guess they would arrange transport to the next port for you. You can bet you won't be the only ones on your flight for he ship.

Just take Euros.. I don't know your itinerary, but they are accepted even in Turkey & Croatia. You can get local currency out of an ATM if needed, there are plenty about almost everywhere. I usually take a small amount of local cash to cover drinks etc but it isn't required. For onboard expenses, yes, you leave a credit card imprint on embarkation, and it's all debited to that at the end of the cruise. On the last day you will receive an account to check through all purchases. You can also request a print out at any time suring your cruise to check your expenditure.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Forgot to add that yes, as long as you have Int'l roaming set up, your mobile will work whenever you are within the range along the coast or in port. I usually have to keep in contact with elderly parents and it has always worked fine. Just gets a bit pricey at times:( The rates vary between providers, and often you can get more than one at a time. Your mobile company should have a list of the overseas providers' rates on their website and you can then choose the cheapest to use. I find that a bit of a flaff, for just a short call, so just use whatever is showing up. If you have UK premium rate numbers to call, not all overseas providers permit their use, and you may have to swap then. I had to phone Mum in a hospital once, and it did cause a bit of a nuisance sifting through the available providers to find one I could use.

Pam

newbie to the board here (first post), but found this thread very helpful as i had similar questions, my wife and I are going on and looking forward to MSC Opera Meditteranean cruise out of venice on Oct 8th.

You think its possible to make a 11:40am flight on our cruise end date (oct 15) out of venice (the one close by, i assume that is marco polo). i figure at the latest we would need to get to airport by 10:15am. The next flight on BA isn't till much later and we are already planning on spending 2 days prior to cruise sightseeing around venice, so catching that 11:40am flight would be ideal!

how long of a taxi ride is it from port to airport?

also does anyone know if MSC would give us some sort of priority when it comes to getting off the boat on last day if we showed them our flight times?

My wife and I have been on numerous cruises (never MSC b4 though) and we have experienced ridiculously long times for getting off the boat and some times very easy and quick departures. Hoping MSC falls into quick and easy category.

Thanks in advance for your help , any info/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your reply czech, i am not too worried bout airport security as long as i can get to airport like 1 hr and 15 minutes prior to departure.

does anyone know how long approx it takes in a taxi to go from dock to Venice airport (VCE)?

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Have been going through this section to find reports on some of the MSC ships. We have been on the smaller ones (Rhapsody, Melody and Monterey) several times but hope to arrange to sail on one of the newer ones next year.

I have posted some information with personal views on the shipping line elswhere in this section and also under the Europe threads. You may find some of the information useful.

As you are a British traveller have you considered what Credit/Debit card to use? I picked up a very useful tip elsewhere and that is to invest in a Nationwide Visa Card. They make no commision charges for converting bills into Sterling, there is no handling fee and they do not charge a fee on each transaction. Our bank and credit card company wanted to charge 2.75% conversion fee,1.5% handling fee and 75p for each transaction so we quickly arranged a Nationwide card. The only charge is for withdrawing cash from an ATM (1%) but this is common now with a lot of companies. One cruiser reckons he saved nearly £100 by having the Nationwide card - all the more available for those Cocktails of the Day eh?

Have a super trip. If Opera is as good as the MSC ships we have been on you will have a wonderful time.

Regards

Suron :)

thanks Pam,

as ever calming the waters of my trepidation! I guess I'm a bit nervous about it as our flight only arrives about an hour and a half before sailing.

thanks Suron,

Yes, good spot re the nationwide CC, I applied for one earlier this year when I saw the tv ad. Quite surprised none of their rivals have moved to compete yet.

Cheers to you both,

• 3 weeks later...

Tickets "pack" arrived today.....it's getting close, only a week to go and nervous excitement is building.

I noticed something in all the bumph about not ironing in the cabin? Anyone know if this applies to travel irons and if so, where do you go to iron!?

Dress - I knew about the formal aspects but was a little surprised that "jacket and tie" is specified for non formal evenings, can anyone confirm this? I don't mind either way, just want to be prepared.

cheers

Tickets "pack" arrived today.....it's getting close, only a week to go and nervous excitement is building.

I know what you are going through as I'm just a week behind you!

From what i have read on a British based forum, which has a lot of MSC passengers (including one on your date), there are no irons of any kind allowed and no ironing room.

I too was surprised and a little worried about the jacket and tie on non-formal nights but i have heard that it is really only the Brits and the Americans that dress up - at any time - and the Italians can even be seen in track suits at the dinner table.

Hi Craig:

As a fellow Scot I have been following your posts in this forum and others with great interest. I sailed on the Opera from Genoa last October and can assure you you'll have a fun time on your 10th Sept sailing I'm sure.

Gala nights in the dining rooms were jacket and tie affairs mostly, but all other nights could be categorized casual but smart,definitely no ties needed if you wanted.If you have good tablemates like we had, you'll have a ball.

Your ports of call are different but I'm sure there will be plenty to see and explore.

Cruise critic have finally posted a review I submitted months ago and can be reviewed at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=10089

I hope you enjoy your trip on the Opera as much as we did.

Hello Downdie, A fellow Scot, eh? Have you emigrated from the auld country?

What a shame that Cruise Critic took as long to publish your review. Things, such as itineraries, can change so much that they really should be publishing reviews a bit faster. And lets face it MSC could do with some better reviews, like yours, from across the pond.

Has your Opera itinerary been taken over by the Lirica this year? It'll be all change next year again, I'd imagine.

Thanks for your good wishes. A fortnights time and I'll be experiencing it all for myself(!!!), just a week for Pujro, and I will, of course, be reporting back once i recover my land legs.

I think cruise critic rules forbid me from posting a link but the site I am talking about tells truths about holiday and the recent Daily Express cruise offer. ;) If searching remember to refresh the page to see the recent posts.

Are you all organised now? Do you have any plans for the ports and will you get any time in Venice?

Craig.

Hi Craig

Funnily enough I have seen the reviews there but didn't even notice the forum!

Not really organised yet, just gathering a few tips, info, and so on and will sort the packing later in the week. All the important stuff is sorted though, tickets, money, airport parking and so on.

From what I've read on various forums I think we'll just do our own thing at the ports and see how we get on. The only tours that look worthwhile paying extra for(ship's or local) appear to be Olympia and Ephesus. I guess we'll just go with our feeling at the time.

At Venice our flights are quite late, around 6pm, so we have most of the day there, 10am till 3 or 4pm I suppose, which is good as we've never been before.

It's a pity I won't be able to give you my thoughts before you leave! Still, I'm sure we'll both post our own thoughts in various places on our return!

It's amazing to think that we'll unknowingly cross paths somewhere or other on the Sept 10th!

Enjoy........

Cheers

I've still no tickets here. Hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow as I only have a week until i fly to Venice for a couple of nights before boarding ship.

I may well see some departing passengers on the 10th as I'll be chomping at the bit to get to the ship and get on board! However I'd imagine that you'll will try to be off as early as you can though to explore as much of Venice as possible.

Olympia, I have heard should really be done as a tour, but apparently Ephesus is quite possible to do on your own. It just means organising a taxi or using a bus and you will probably miss out on a tour guide once you are there. Apparently the Istanbul tour is pretty good but the person i spoke to wasn't too happy about the carpet shop in between sights.

Of course the advice is all second hand - third hand to you! - so it may well not apply to us.

Not long now!!!

my travel agent said to chase them if the tickets hadn't arrived by a week before, they reckon they're usually mailed around 10 days out.

yes, not long now, I'm past worrying! just want to get on with it....

me and my wife don't usually do the tours, prefer diy, but we'll see when we get there.

Anyway, maybe won't post again before we're on our way, hope you enjoy it to the max.

Cheers

Archived