Bear viewing June-July

mark&donna

We are Southbound on the Radiance next year. Arrive Jun.28th. Cruise July 1-8. We really want to see bears. We realise Aug is the best time. What do you think are our best chance/tours to consider. Either pre cruise or on the cruise.

Farwind 89

Norway 90

Song of America 91

Pride 03

Rapsody of the Seas 04

Glory 05

We just returned from the southbound "Vision of the Seas" 1 week ago. Prior to our cruise, we did a bear viewing trip that was unbelievable. I would very highly recommend Emerald Air Services out of Homer. We (9 customers) flew in a vintage Otter float plane, approximately 1 1/4 hours to Halo Bay. We were extremely lucky to have perfect weather with crystal clear skies. The flight was spectacular. (glaciers, volcanoes, and no signs of civilization) We landed near the beach and spent the entire day wandering up close and personal with many, many brown bears. Amazingly, even though there was no "protection", no one in our group appeared to feel the least bit threatened. While the bears are not catching salmon at this time, we observed a mother nursing her 2 cubs, cubs wrestling, bears eating and clamming on the beach. and lots of mating season strutting and chasing. Chris, the naturalist is extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the bears. If you have seen the IMAX movie BEARS (which we saw in Victoria after we got off our cruise ship!) you will see that Chris and this trip are the subject of the movie (as well as some additional material about polar bears and black bears) Although this trip is very expensive (@$535 per person) it is a once in a life time experience. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions or contact Ken and Chris at Emerald Air Service Directly!

Denali Park is also one of the best bargains around for cheap bear viewing. But you'll need the SHUTTLE bus to at least Fish Creek. $33.75pp and 2 nights there. Take advantage and spend some time interior Alaska, going independent will give you the great option for Homer tours, look at at least 2 nights there.

Denali is an option. I've pretty much got Denali laid out thanks to this board & Budget Queen.

I'm trying to fig on the timing. What are the best locations for late June - 1st week in July. I might stay in the Anchorage for 3 days. All depends on bear viewing options.

Denali is an option. I've pretty much got Denali laid out thanks to this board & Budget Queen.

I'm trying to fig on the timing. What are the best locations for late June - 1st week in July. I might stay in the Anchorage for 3 days. All depends on bear viewing options.

Homer as mentioned by JohnQ is great for bear viewing. Contact several venders and see what your timeframe sightings are?? I also wouldn't be staying in Anchorage 3 days with limited time interior Alaska and a wildlife interest. Better options perhaps in other areas?

Archived