Captain Tom is Now Commodore Tom

Ex techie

I know nothing about running a cruise ship. That said, I've never seen Tom do anything on the ship that made me question his ability to command the vessel. In 30 DCL cruises, we've seen storms and various "situations" like engine failures etc. In each case, we were kept informed and things were well managed given the limited scope of my ability to assess such things.

Tom is quiet, and frankly is not the easiest person to understand (especially on the intercom). I suspect that and the fact that he may have been busy with ship issues explain why announcements in an unusual situation were sometimes made by the cruise director rather than by the captain--or Tom would make a very brief announcement and hand over the mike for additional info.

I didn't see arrogance ever, just a reserved individual.

It's obvious that he's VERY well qualified. I have no doubt about that, and that's the most important thing.

And I've never met a "party boy" Captain, hope I never do.....but I would expect them to be somewhat personable, especially on private bridge tours, where you're supposedly "invited" by the Captain.

Just a personal thing.....no disrespect intended.

TBH, having been under Capt. Tom and Thord's command, I always felt that Thord was more personable and easier to speak to. Would acknowledge you and speak to a CM casually, where as with Tom it was always just a smile or a nod.

Tom scared the bejeezus out of me and I always felt uncomfortable in his presence or speaking to him.

And I never got the being able to speak to someone with both hands on your hips thing. Always seemed aggressive or domineering to me. But DCL say that is an OKAY stance when speaking to Guests.

I always thought that Tom was more unapproachable.

He is a fine mariner though, one of the best in the maritime industry!

ex techie

I agree with you, ex techie.....Captain Thord is by far my favorite. We would see him around the ship a lot more often than any of the other Captains, and he would (almost...unless he looked like he was needed somewhere else) stop and chat, take pictures, etc. Have been on the Bridge with him, also, and it was a totally different experience. He was infomative, friendly, funny....:)

Hi Buddy' date=' good to see you!

I disagree.....

My point was that to attack the man because he is somewhat reserved, no mention that his abilities is wrong. This suggests that a party boy Captain like the fool on the Concordia is better because he parties with the passengers, fools around with his girlfriend, when his vessel was entering in close to shore and a dangerous area is plain ridiculous.

I find his reserved and polite manner the correct *on stage presences*

Now I respect your opinion especially since you agree he's a excellent mariner.:D We can agree to disagree about the hands on the hips thing!:rolleyes:

AKK

Wow......that's an awful lot of assumption to read into my simple post that I PERSONALLY find the man to be cold and arrogant.

Maybe because he's such a good mariner, it gives him the right to be stand-offish?

Is he a close personal friend of yours? Is that why my comment bothers you so much? Otherwise, I don't understand why you're so concerned with what I said. :confused:

Out of all of the Disney Captains, Tom is the most arrogant. At the "Meet the Captain" functions, he always seems like he's being held at gunpoint.

And meeting him in person on the Bridge isn't any better.

Gee' date=' after reading your posts on smoking and other things I can't find any other thought, then you just don't like any buddy or anything!

Yes Captain Tom is somewhat reserved, but in talking with him on 3 occasions and reading his bio, I found a knowledgeable and expert Mariner. Nothing arrogant about the man. I much prefer those characteristics in a Vessels Master, then the married party boy, on the Concordia that sank his vessel and killed 32 people.

AKK[/quote']

It appears Cruise Critic won't let me multi quote three different quotes so here goes:

1-Scrapnana commented that she found Capt Tom "very personable", to which 2-MizDaisy replied that she found him arrogant, which seems like a reasonable reply to the previous comment.

Then, Skipper, 3-you came along and said that MizDaisy doesn't like anything or anybody (which of course isn't true) then somehow worked the capt of the Concordia into the conversation which is ludicrous. MizDaisy wasn't questioning Tom's ability to captain a ship; she was responding to Scrapnana's opinion of his personality with her own.

Regardless of your opinion, MOST people perceive arrogance/aggression/superiority/etc. when others speak to them with their hands on their hips, although it's often just the way people stand whey they are ready to do something or confident. Any public speaking instructor worth their weight in spit will tell people NOT to stand and speak to others with their hands on their hips.

Capt Tom may be a great guy; then again, he may not. Neither of you knows him well and her opinion is just as valid as yours. Ex techie has been around him more and seems to support MizDaisy's opinion.

Just to throw in my own opinion, as long as a captain can and does safely sail my ship, I don't give a rat's rear end if he or she is likable or not. And I don't think any member of the bridge staff should be trotted out for public display and feel good moments; they aren't part of the entertainment staff!

I know you've missed me. ;)

Thanks! I'VE missed you!!!:)

I don't think the Captains need to perform the job of Cruise Director, either...but when the have a special night to meet and take pictures with the Captain, he should be friendly and smile. Not enough time for real chit chat, I understand that, but Tom always looks like he's sucking lemons.:p

Thanks! I'VE missed you!!!:)

I don't think the Captains need to perform the job of Cruise Director, either...but when the have a special night to meet and take pictures with the Captain, he should be friendly and smile. Not enough time for real chit chat, I understand that, but Tom always looks like he's sucking lemons.:p

From everything I've read, he's grumpy. :D

I liked our last captain on Celebrity. He is Greek (translate = HOT!) and he ended each daily announcement with "arriverderci"....greatness! Plus, he did a talk in the main theater one day and was funny!! He took questions from the audience and it was a really good time. He walked us through his education, what it took to become a captain on Celebrity, how often he sees his family, etc.

Honestly, I don't care about captains or cruise directors much at all. I only specifically remember two CDs...Jen Baxter (hated her) and Weeeee Jimmy (loved him). Being a CCL fan, you might know those two.

I'm done with school so I've got more time to bug Tonka's Skipper. Just kidding. ;)

Wow......that's an awful lot of assumption to read into my simple post that I PERSONALLY find the man to be cold and arrogant.

No assumption about it, if you need a party playboy as a Captian, That's fine , but the word *arrogant* is a attach.

Maybe because he's such a good mariner, it gives him the right to be stand-offish?

He is not standoffish as so many here have stated...........reserved....yes, arrogant no!

Is he a close personal friend of yours? Is that why my comment bothers you so much? Otherwise, I don't understand why you're so concerned with what I said. :confused:

NO, I met the man 3 times on DCL ships. Just because WE are Maritime Captains/Officers does not mean we know each other.

I am concerned because I don't like anyone who cannot defend themselves being attacked.

AKK

It appears Cruise Critic won't let me multi quote three different quotes so here goes:

1-Scrapnana commented that she found Capt Tom "very personable", to which 2-MizDaisy replied that she found him arrogant, which seems like a reasonable reply to the previous comment.

The word arrogant is a cheap attack, plain and simple. Reserved, standoffish , not talkative, and or those and other words are the correct words to describe her opinion and are not a attack.

Then, Skipper, 3-you came along and said that MizDaisy doesn't like anything or anybody (which of course isn't true) then somehow worked the capt of the Concordia into the conversation which is ludicrous. MizDaisy wasn't questioning Tom's ability to captain a ship; she was responding to Scrapnana's opinion of his personality with her own.

I have seen many of her posts and have seen few things she approves of.........right now is non smokers.

Seems all smokers are hateful as well!

example:

I honestly think that non-smokers are just so hateful of smokers

Regardless of your opinion, MOST people perceive arrogance/aggression/superiority/etc. when others speak to them with their hands on their hips, although it's often just the way people stand whey they are ready to do something or confident. Any public speaking instructor worth their weight in spit will tell people NOT to stand and speak to others with their hands on their hips.

I disagree, arrogance is being over bearing, bossy and know it all. According to Techie the hands on the hips is OK and I use that stance myself when getting my point across. Its not rude unless your talking rudely.

Capt Tom may be a great guy; then again, he may not. Neither of you knows him well and her opinion is just as valid as yours. Ex techie has been around him more and seems to support MizDaisy's opinion.

I have read a good deal about his career and abilities and had a great conversation 3 times.. As much as I respect Ex techies opinion, I don't see any arrogance in the man, a command statue, yes.......no arrogance about him.

Did you ever think maybe the Captian is scare of the guests as much as some are afraid of him????:eek:

Just to throw in my own opinion, as long as a captain can and does safely sail my ship, I don't give a rat's rear end if he or she is likable or not. And I don't think any member of the bridge staff should be trotted out for public display and feel good moments; they aren't part of the entertainment staff!

LOL........ho come on......we can discuss this stuff!:D

I would love to have you and Stacie for dinner on a cruise, THAT would be a interesting conversation, especially after the 2 or 3 drinks!:rolleyes:

I would love to have you and Stacie for dinner on a cruise' date=' THAT would be a interesting conversation, especially after the 2 or 3 drinks!:rolleyes:[/quote']

I'm in! I'll even buy the drinks.

I would love to have you and Stacie for dinner on a cruise' date=' THAT would be a interesting conversation, especially after the 2 or 3 drinks!:rolleyes:[/quote']

And again....when I said that I thought the non-smokers were being pretty hateful...that's my own personal opinion and observation.

When Disney made their announcement, I would have expected the non-smokers to be happy, but they had discussions that went on and on forever....not smoking on the balconies wasn't good enough for them, they want to see it banned totally, they want smokers to be drug behind the ship in a dinghy.......a few people talked about how badly smokers themselves smell...using the word STENCH.

Smokers go off to their little corner and don't say much of anything. Smokers are used to that.

But even if we're in our own little corner, we still have to put up with people walking by, making rude comments and noises.

So YES....I guess MY OPINION would be that some non-smokers can be pretty hateful.

DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT ALMOST EVERYTHING THAT'S POSTED ON DISCUSSION BOARDS IS PERSONAL OPINION OR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE?

If someone posts a negative trip report, are they attacking the cruise line????

Let it go, for crying out loud.

And again....when I said that I thought the non-smokers were being pretty hateful...that's my own personal opinion and observation.

When Disney made their announcement, I would have expected the non-smokers to be happy, but they had discussions that went on and on forever....not smoking on the balconies wasn't good enough for them, they want to see it banned totally, they want smokers to be drug behind the ship in a dinghy.......a few people talked about how badly smokers themselves smell...using the word STENCH.

Smokers go off to their little corner and don't say much of anything. Smokers are used to that.

But even if we're in our own little corner, we still have to put up with people walking by, making rude comments and noises.

So YES....I guess MY OPINION would be that some non-smokers can be pretty hateful.

DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT ALMOST EVERYTHING THAT'S POSTED ON DISCUSSION BOARDS IS PERSONAL OPINION OR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE?

If someone posts a negative trip report, are they attacking the cruise line????

Let it go, for crying out loud.

You said all non smokers are hateful!........pretty poor grouping of a lot of people!

Having a opinion is fine, but the way you put it against the non smokers and Captain Tom ,it is still a attack and that is wrong!

AKK

So to get on the rumor mill, does that mean if DCL has a Commodore, we are going to get another ship? (A fleet of 4 is pretty tiny compared to other cruise lines...) Please please please DCL! We need more ships! More ports and more itineraries!

Hey there!

The size of the line is not important nor does it matter. Cunard has a Commodore and most of the older lines did as well.

However I don't think DCL having a Commodore will effect the number of ships. This is all rumor and opinion, but I think we are at least 3 years away from any additional vessels if not longer.

AKK

Hey there!

The size of the line is not important nor does it matter. Cunard has a Commodore and most of the older lines did as well.

However I don't think DCL having a Commodore will effect the number of ships. This is all rumor and opinion' date=' but I think we are at least 3 years away from any additional vessels if not longer.

AKK[/quote']

Hey there back! (missing our 'waving' icon)

I know it's a ways off, but one could hope?

You have a very odd interpretation of opinions vs. attacks. Her Captain Tom comment was an opinion.

Her smoking comment, while perhaps a bit harsh, was warranted. I'm a non-smoker and didn't take offense to what she said. She's right, the boards are FULL of non-smokers who, now that they have gotten their way, are still pissing and moaning about the smokers and calling them disgusting, smelly, etc.. It's nasty and unnecessary and I saw why she reacted to it.

You might want to go back and re-read some of your posts expressing your "opinion" about people who cruise Carnival and see if they read more like attacks. People in glass houses...

I never attacked anyone sailing Carnival, I have and will when warranted attack Carnival, however people individually, never. I did offer the facts of the short cruises drunk parties. No one ever said the short cruises were not party boats! So no glass bottom here!

As to the smokers, I am not a smoker (except for the 4 cigars a year I enjoy camping) I agree the ones attacking smokers as smelly and nasty are just as bad as the Ms. Daisy comments.

But this was about attacking the Captain with a rude statement and the arrogant part. Call him reserved, put offish, quiet..........fine, but arrogant was uncalled for .

I will back up and admit my earlier comment about her hating every thing and everyone was over the top. I was wrong there.

AKK

Glad you qualified your second 'hateful' non-smoker sentence with a "SOME" non-smokers can be hateful...

My group is quite happy with the change and do not expect anything more.

You are absolutely right. There were also a lot of people who didn't add anything to their posts, other than to say that they were happy.

I do apologize for first saying "all".

My husband doesn't smoke, and I'm sure he's plenty happy with the change, but he still thinks the smokers have the right to at least have a few spots to go to.....as long as he doesn't have to walk through them! So, see....I have to live with him and his comments. ;) At least he's never told me I stink.....which one person posted. Interesting they could smell me through the computer. :cool:

Hi Buddy' date=' good to see you!

I disagree.....

My point was that to attack the man because he is somewhat reserved, no mention that his abilities is wrong. This suggests that a party boy Captain like the fool on the Concordia is better because he parties with the passengers, fools around with his girlfriend, when his vessel was entering in close to shore and a dangerous area is plain ridiculous.

I find his reserved and polite manner the correct *on stage presences*

Now I respect your opinion especially since you agree he's a excellent mariner.:D We can agree to disagree about the hands on the hips thing!:rolleyes:

AKK[/quote']

Good to hear from you as well matey!

I "think" this might be the first stage of his retirement from the ships to a shoreside job.

I hope not because I have a lot of respect for him, but I wonder if he would prefer to have some more time with his family now?

ex techie

Good to hear from you as well matey!

I "think" this might be the first stage of his retirement from the ships to a shoreside job.

I hope not because I have a lot of respect for him, but I wonder if he would prefer to have some more time with his family now?

ex techie

It indeed could be. Maybe even coming ashore to work on the next class of vessels and bring them out of the yard.:D

AKK

I haven't met the man myself, but just something to consider. (so don't go throwing uglies at me, please) Some people, no matter how accomplished they are in their field, feel very awkward in social situations. That may or may not be the case here, again none of us knows this man personally. Speaking with his hands on his hips can be seen as aggressive or defensive, depending on your interpretation. Maybe because we come to expect so much from DCL crew and staff that we just assume that the captain would be as personable. Being in the "public" eye so to speak is not easy for many people and perhaps he feels uneasy in that particular role. If fellow crew see him as intimidating, that isn't all bad as he should command respect, he has earned it. We are all human, no one is perfect.

Archived