Celebrity Century Alaska

Advise

Hi All

Nearly time for the long awaited Alaska cruise next week and the excitement is building up.

I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some tips on some last minute points that have come to mind -

Firstly - I was thinking of buying a couple of bottles of wine beforehand for when I want to have a quiet drink on the balcony - does anyone know whether Celebrity allow you to take your own drinks on board please?

Secondly - I am a smoker and was wondering if any smokers have bought duty free on the ship or in Vancouver and which they found to be cheaper.

I have tried to check on line on Air Canada duty free, but they don't have a range of cigarettes available.

Third - we have opted for select dining option in the hope that we are not restricted to a time slot for dinner - has anyone had any issues with the select dining option on the Century?

Finally - I have read that generally passengers on the Century Alaska cruise have been fairly casual on the formal nights - does this mean that we will stand out as "odd ones out" if my we do make the effort to dress up?

Hope there are a few of you out there who can help or advise.

Thank you.

Jim

I hope you enjoy Alaska on century as much as we did!

1. You can take 2 bottle of wine per stateroom at embarkation.

2. Sorry cant help with this one, but I think they sell cartons of cigarettes on board.

3. We did not have any problems dining when we wanted to with select dining. If you find a location or server you like, you can request to be seated in the same area but may have a short wait. We were able to sit with others or at a table for 2 depending on our mood. If you have an idea of the time you want to eat, you can make a reservation.

4. DH wore a suit on both of the formal nights. It seems like people dressed up but maybe not to the extent as on other itineraries.

Have a great cruise!

Hi All

Nearly time for the long awaited Alaska cruise next week and the excitement is building up.

I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some tips on some last minute points that have come to mind -

Firstly - I was thinking of buying a couple of bottles of wine beforehand for when I want to have a quiet drink on the balcony - does anyone know whether Celebrity allow you to take your own drinks on board please?

Yes, 2 bottles

Secondly - I am a smoker and was wondering if any smokers have bought duty free on the ship or in Vancouver and which they found to be cheaper.

I have tried to check on line on Air Canada duty free, but they don't have a range of cigarettes available.

I don't smoke, but they seemed to have a variety of American brands on board in duty free

Third - we have opted for select dining option in the hope that we are not restricted to a time slot for dinner - has anyone had any issues with the select dining option on the Century?

Can't help we had 6pm dining

Finally - I have read that generally passengers on the Century Alaska cruise have been fairly casual on the formal nights - does this mean that we will stand out as "odd ones out" if my we do make the effort to dress up?

We just got off today - there was a huge variety - from tuxes to sport jackets. Honestly - the only people I actually noticed were the really formal - as in "wow"! and the inappropriate - as in jeans that were really wrecked and and a hard rock cafe tshirt - he was asked to put on a jacket they provided!

We really had an amazing cruise experience on the Century - I am working on my review now!!

I hope you enjoy Alaska on century as much as we did!

1. You can take 2 bottle of wine per stateroom at embarkation.

2. Sorry cant help with this one, but I think they sell cartons of cigarettes on board.

3. We did not have any problems dining when we wanted to with select dining. If you find a location or server you like, you can request to be seated in the same area but may have a short wait. We were able to sit with others or at a table for 2 depending on our mood. If you have an idea of the time you want to eat, you can make a reservation.

4. DH wore a suit on both of the formal nights. It seems like people dressed up but maybe not to the extent as on other itineraries.

Have a great cruise!

Hi Danna

Thank you so much for your reply and the tips - I found it all very helpful.

Starting packing today - soooooo excited.

Thanks again

Jim

Hi All

Yes, 2 bottles

I don't smoke, but they seemed to have a variety of American brands on board in duty free

Can't help we had 6pm dining

We just got off today - there was a huge variety - from tuxes to sport jackets. Honestly - the only people I actually noticed were the really formal - as in "wow"! and the inappropriate - as in jeans that were really wrecked and and a hard rock cafe tshirt - he was asked to put on a jacket they provided!

We really had an amazing cruise experience on the Century - I am working on my review now!!

Hi Jacquelin

Thank you to you too - wonderful reply - love the was you did it - with the original message.

I really am struggling on the cigarette prices - but your reply has helped - it is good to know that I will at least have a selection to choose from.

The formal night dressing rings bells of previous posts on this subject and only on this particular cruise for some reason. This will be our second cruise - our first one was a 14 night Caribbean cruise on the maiden voyage of the P&O Ventura - we loved it and got hooked on cruising. The formal nights were so nice - all the passengers dressed up and it took the whole mood on a different level to the non-fomal nights.

Glad to read you had a wonderful cruise.

Thanks again.

Regards

Jim

Archived