Star Princess

TBird861

I'm looking for information from anyone who has been on the Star Princess. This is our first Princess Cruise. We have previous experience with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and thought we would try Princess. We are leaving January 22, 2006 for the Western Caribbean and would love to have any helpful hints. I don't want to miss anything! Thanks for your help.

Although we usually cruised with Celebrity, we were on the Star in March. It's a beautiful ship and we had a terrific time. In the past we were not in favor of the specialty restaurants where you are charged, but Sabatini's is not to be missed! If he's still there, the maitre de, Richard, is wonderful. Try to talk to him while there. Make reservations as soon as you get onboard. We also loved having fresh water swimming pools. The fitness center is disappointing but serves it's purpose I guess. Have a great time.

I thought of something else a little different than the normal info that you'll get from people. They always have a cooking demonstration show. I don't know if they have continued this or not. but at the show on our trip they had decided to do a comedy routine complete with setting the food on fire and various staff members doing an almost slapstick routine of dumb and dumber. It had to be one of the funniest shows we have ever seen and the audience loved it. You'd have to ask the waitstaff if they are still doing this or if they have gone back to the traditional demonstration.

We were on the Star for a 14 day transatlantic May 1-15. This was our 20th Princess cruise, 45th overall. I cannot imagine why the OP is not happy with the fitness center. My husband and I are up there at 7:00 AM every morning and find it quite adequate. Perhaps the fact that you need to sign up for treadmill time is bothering the OP. Doesn't bother us; we're early people. There are classes, free and otherwise; didn't take any. I prefer to do my own workout at my own pace.

And yes, it's not my cup of coffee (don't drink tea:) ), but the cooking demo is alive and well on the Star.

Arlene

In answer to the questions and comments, I have been on quite a few cruises and this was the first fitness center that I didn't care for. It's not that I couldn't get in a workout; just my opinion. The fitness center did not open until 8AM when I was on the Star this past spring. That's way too late for an early riser like me. Most ships I have been on had fitness centers that opened at 7 and if it opened at 7 for the cruise Arlene was on then that's something new. By 8 I am having breakfast and ready to go off for the day. The treadmills and eliptical machines were all right and I honestly don't mind signing up for one. I thought there were way too few weight machines and they were spaced too close together as were the free weights. The entire space was too small for the fitness center. After the first two days I started swimming laps in the pool at 6AM and then catching a weight workout later in the day when I had time. Arlene, was the cooking demo still the comedy one? Normally I could care less about the cooking demo but this was really funny.

Cooking - I think it was comedic. I don't cook much at home, so wouldn't even think of attending cooking demo on ship. Cook is a four letter word.

Gym - Every fitness center on every ship opens at 7:00 or earlier. I can't imagine why yours opened at 8. I wouldn't be happy with an 8:00 opening either. 6:30/6:45 would make me happier, but I have to settle for 7:00. In fact, the sign up sheets start at 7:00. There definitely was something wrong on your cruise.

Arlene

Does anyone know which nights are formal on the Star Princess - Western Caribbean 7 day cruise? Any shore excursions we shouldn't miss? Also, what do you think of their mini-suites? We decided to try one of those. Recommendations for a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale would also be helpful. We are flying in from Oregon for the January 22, 2006 cruise. Thanks for your help!

Just booked our first Princess cruise on the Star for April 23, 2006. Does this ship have the Movies Under the Stars program? Also, what has your experience been with embarkation and disembarkation - did it take long? We had a sky suite on the Celebrity Century and had priority status for both procedures. On the Star, we will be in a mini-suite on the Dolphin deck. Is the balcony expoosed to the sun all day on the Western Caribbean route?

Thanks for any help you can give us - I like to be prepared.

Just booked our first Princess cruise on the Star for April 23, 2006. Does this ship have the Movies Under the Stars program? Also, what has your experience been with embarkation and disembarkation - did it take long? We had a sky suite on the Celebrity Century and had priority status for both procedures. On the Star, we will be in a mini-suite on the Dolphin deck. Is the balcony expoosed to the sun all day on the Western Caribbean route?

Thanks for any help you can give us - I like to be prepared.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Star did not have MUTS my last cruise. I did not have any trouble with lines for embarkation or disembarkation. I am Elite which has priority for both, however, have not seen problems. Depending on the time you board there can be a line, but, it moves along. One thing to help with this is to have your documentation complete & ready. As for balconies you do not have constant sun. Hope you enjoy your cruise!!

I'll be back on the Star 8/13 & can provide some updates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Star did not have MUTS my last cruise. I did not have any trouble with lines for embarkation or disembarkation. I am Elite which has priority for both, however, have not seen problems. Depending on the time you board there can be a line, but, it moves along. One thing to help with this is to have your documentation complete & ready. As for balconies you do not have constant sun. Hope you enjoy your cruise!!

I'll be back on the Star 8/13 & can provide some updates.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Archived