Helicopter Excursions in Alaska

CruiseFarmer

Hello-

We are booked on the Mercury out of San Francisco for a R/T Alaska sailing 9/12/04. We are looking for advice on helicopter glacier tours. Which ports of departure and which glaciers are the best? We sailed Mercury 4/03 out of San Francisco bound for Cabo. What a sight going under the Golden Gate at sundown! She is a spectacular ship. We are excited to be sailing to Alaska. Thank you for any advice.

We did pilots choice in Juneau. There were two glacier landings where we could get out and walk around. On the second one, we had champagne. Our pilot was very good - he originally flew for geological surveys so he knew about the terrain and we learned a lot. He enjoyed his job and was still amazed at the views.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

Have you looked on the Alaska Forum? There are a number of threads discussing the merits of the different sites for this type of tour. There are also discussions on booking your own vs. ship tours. If you're going to Alaska, you need to use this resource.

Enjoy your cruise,

Phil

My top choice is Coastal out of Juneau- great personal service. Next would be TEMSCO out of Skagway. As a side- be well prepared - you are going at a less than ideal time. Expect temps 40-60, ave 3+ days of rain, dusk by 7pm so plan touring carefully. Going past the first week of Sept has far more change of weather extremes- go prepared.

We did Coastal out of Juneau--great experience!!

Hey Budget Queen--haven't seen you on the regular Celebrity board for quite some time! icon_biggrin.gif You have a wealth of good and accurate information about Alaska.

I notice you've been very busy on the Ports of Call -- Alaska forum, and I highly recommend everyone who is planning their Alaska adventures to go over there and participate icon_cool.gif (and remember to take your sunglasses to Alaska--the sun on the snow is worse than the sun on the ocean in the Caribbean)

Char

click <a href="mailto:gaultchar@aol.com">here</a href> to send me an e-mail

Last summer we went with a company called North Star Trekking. It was a helicopter ride to the Mendenhall Glacier in Jun. Alaska. We sent 6 or 7 hours on the Glacier. We went hiking, ice climbing, down into a cave under the glacier and rapelling (sorry about the spelling) on two hills one small, but the other over 100 feet down into a crevase (again spelling ?). Our group was only seven people and it was one of the most awesome days I have ever spent on a vacation anywhere. Can't recommend this enough - well worth the money. Just need to be somewhat fit and unafraid.

I also did the pilot's choice excursion in Juneau and it was fabulous!!! We landed on two different glaciers and "very gingerly" walked around before the pilot gave us champagne and chocolate fudge. (We made sure he did not have any champagne!!!) It was incredible and I still talk about this four years later. It is quite costly but in my opinion definitely well worth it!

I was a little disappointed with Coastal...the tape they are supposed to play during flight didn't work and we were put in a smaller helicopter with another couple and the guy sitting us told us on the way back, I would sit in front because I was stuck in the back in the middle leaving (so I couldn't look out left or right very good)...well on the way back the other couple hurried from the glacier and one got it the front and the pilot didn't say anything even though he knew and heard me say something ....I didn't feel the need to argue with the other couple but it didn't make me happy at all and I thought the pilot didn't do much other than take our photo...he really didn't talk at all about the terrain. I chose Coastal because of reviews on the board but I wouldn't use them again. When we got back my husband mentioned to them what happened and they didn't even respond...just kinda shrug it off like what can you do....we didn't want it to damper our vacation so we just left and enjoyed the rest of our cruise.

We took the coastal helicopter in sep 2002. It was

nice. We wish it could be longer, also, wish 3 other

passagers would have excited as my husband and I.

when we did the Glacier landing, others like to stayed

at the same spot, I am the only one willing to walk around. Coastal has reasonable price, reasonable

service. But I would like to try the Dog Sled next time if the weather allows. Sept is too late for it.

Take a look at our Alaska pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/album/90602195RbAKrr/2

Also more pictures on Coastal Helicoper ride:

http://community.webshots.com/album/91262850YEhruu

Nancy, I agree with walking around. Coastal's pilot didn't do a good job of telling us what we could do. We landed got off and just stood there....the pilot didn't say much...so my husband and I started to walk around but the other couple just stood there...it could have been more exciting and I think that is part of Coastal's job...not just a pick up and land job...but they should talk and let you get the most out of it for the price!!

We did Pilot's Choice out of Skagway because we did whale watching with Orca Enterprises in Juneau. Link to review below which has pictures. Whale watching and helicopter pictures are part on the cruise review.

Carnival Ecstasy, March 1993

Celebrity Millennium, Caribbean, Jan 2002

Coral Princess, Panama Canal Feb. 2, 2003 (Review)

Celebrity Summit, Alaska Land (Land Tour Review) & Sea (Cruise Review), Aug. 15,2003

Navigator of the Seas, Family Reunion, March 13, 2004

(Review)

Celebrity Infinity, Valparaiso(Santiago), Chile to Fort Lauderdale, via Panama Canal, Feb. 27, 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;2;27;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

As I have lived in So. FL since 1958 I was afraid to take my first step on the glacier. The pilot could not have been nicer. He took me by the hand and even took me to the very edge for a once in a lifetime photo. I have been on over 30 cruises and this has been my very best excursion !! Five years later and I still get excited whenever I speak about it.

Archived