1st Time NCL Cruiser/Seattle Port Questions

First off, I am a veteran Carnival Cruiser and have never sailed with any other cruise line. My wife and I with our almost 2 year old daughter are taking a little road trip to Seattle for the September 11th cruise out of Seattle to Alaska on the NCL Star. Any pointers on this cruise would be very much appreciated. Mostly though, I have questions on the Seattle area. Most important is in regards to any park and sail hotels in Seattle. In my opinion, this is the best way to go. Keeping your car parked at a secure hotel parking and utilizing a shuttle is very convenient, especially when you have a young child. Believe it or not, this will be the little one's 3rd cruise. She's become a veteran herself at this thing. Yes, it is addicting. Anyway, any and all information will be helpful. Thanks for the great message board.

David

Red Lion, Seattle south is another one.

With a small child I would be more tempted to use the ports parking -- we used it for our cruise last month and will again for the one in August. When you drive in they take your bags BEFORE you park and so that is a big step taken away as you will next see them in your room! Also when you leave you can do express and just push your bags out and across the street and leave - MUCH quicker than calling for and then waiting for a shuttle!

Depending on the length of your cruise, the port parking is not too bad - less than the hotel option for the 7 day cruises and you can prebook online. It is undercover which most hotel parking is not.

If you go with a hotel, NCL will let you stay in your room or whereever you wish will you wait to leave so you could call on your cell phone for the shuttle BEFORE leaving.

You will be amazed at how fast Seattle will get you out -- they have customs off the ship and are very quick!

Chloe

Davidt1968

Hi. I live local to Seattle and just came back from the Spirit to Alaska with my husband, 1 yr old daughter and 2 1/2 yr old daughter. If you have time in Seattle I highly recommend the Childrens Museum. Its right by the Space Needle. The first time we went my dd was 15 mo. We were there for 4 hours and could have stayed alot longer! There is also a food court in the same building so you can go out and eat, then come back to play some more. The zoo is also great but the weather may not cooperate in Sept. The Aquarium is cute but small and the Pac Sci center may not hold a 2 yr olds attention too long. Enjoy Seattle and your cruise!

I really appreciate the feedback. We will most likely use the port parking. We'll have quite a drive back home in Central California, so getting right to the car will be a must. We hope to have at least one day in Seattle prior to sailing. Hope to find some good coffee. (Anything but Starbucks).......:rolleyes:

Again, thanks for the pointers.

David-Exeter, Ca.

I agree with the parking by the pier (you will be getting off Star as I am getting on). It is a secure building about 1-2 blocks away, but connected by shuttle with Pier 66. Drop bags off first then go to garage and they will bring you back. Embarkation "officially" begins at 11:30 am, sometimes early, sometimes later. Where to stay depends on your budget. It is tourist season around here right now and rates tend to be "sky high" until after the middle to end of September. (Higher still at the high end hotels). There is a decent Ramada Inn on 5th Avenue about 2 miles from Pier 66, rates $100+ per night.

• 2 weeks later...

The concierge opens their doors at 7:30 am and will keep the bags for you until general doors open between 9-9:30. Costs $2 per bag. Stevedores will take bags when regular doors open. Boarding begins around 11:00, if no problems with debarkation. That will give you some time to do sightseeing/shopping.

Archived