Flip flops in dining room??

I am not a teenager but I typically will wear a sundress or capris with my leather flip flops from ;) payless :)

No one ever said anything to me. It looked appropriate.

Don't worry have a great trip.

Depends. All flip-flops are not created equal. If you're talking about the plastic .97 style (or even one step up), then no. I would not wear them to the formal dining room. On the other hand, today we're seeing lots of dressed-up flip-flop style shoes. If you're talking about a flip-flop style shoe that's silver with a low heel, then sure.

On our cruise last year, on the first formal night we saw several pretty teens, dressed in beautiful formals, wearing rubber pool type flip flops to the dining room. I really dont care what anyone else wears, but they made such an effort with their make up, hair and jewelry. It kind of spoiled the whole effect. Just my opinion, (and probably none of my business!!)

allowed, yes. appropriate, no. IMHO

Completely agree. While fine for breakfast and lunch, flip flops are a bit too beachy for a nice indoor dinner.

Certainly, if you choose to wear flip flops, you are completely within your rights, and as they are not prohibited by the RCCL dress code, I have no room to complain. However, I think you might find a more sophisticated choice more appropriate.

Recently, on Good Morning America, some fashion experts were showing some very dressy flip-flops. The price range for the dressy flops were $100 and up. The shoes were shown with smart casual to formal outfits and they actually looked nice. It's about the total look, JMHO.

My teenage duaghter wore flip flops on non-formal nights. They weren't the type to be worn by the pool, however. They were embellished with sparkling / glittery beads and had a slight platform / heel. She wore them with a nice skirt and a sweater with pretty sparkling buttons. She wore a "nice" spaghetti strap top under the sweater.

I thought she looked nice.

allowed, yes. appropriate, no. IMHO

Well Calvin Klein and Manalo Blahnik would disagree. I think the "flip flop" world has traveled far past the old dollar store rubber shower shoe.

When your flip flops cost between 50 and 300 dollars, I don't think you are going to get thrown out of the dining room.

celtic

Well Calvin Klein and Manalo Blahnik would disagree. I think the "flip flop" world has traveled far past the old dollar store rubber shower shoe.

When your flip flops cost between 50 and 300 dollars, I don't think you are going to get thrown out of the dining room.

celtic

Then they're not flip-flops, they're sandals. Flip-flops are rubber flats, with a thong. And true flip-flops would not be appropriate on formal night, in my opinion, however a nice pair of sandals would, providing they complemented the outfit.

I can't imagine who would pay $50-300 for rubber flip-flops....or why.

I guess the definition of flip-flops is about to change too.:confused:

Sounds to me like we are not talking about the same types of "shoes" at all. Summer sandals, especially glittery ones, or silver or gold, cannot really be classified as flip flops. I think in my age group (60) flip flops was a term to describe plain old rubber beach or pool shoes. I think we all can agree that sandals, dressy ones, are lovely with summer formal wear.

If they are the rubber 'thongs' then ,they are for the beach only and have NO place in the dining room. If they are nice ladies sandles then they are appropriate .

Honestly, for teens, I don't think there IS another shoe type they wear...and YES, there ARE dressy open-toed, open-backed shoes (generically called flip-flops, at least in Southern California).

I have dressier "flip-flops" myself, and they look NOTHING like beach shoes or the cheapo plastic things you get at Target. ;)

On casual nights, those are perfectly appropriate...they are basically SANDALS, and there's no rule against those on ANY night.

Well, then. I own a pair of hiking boots that cost over $250 -- since they are the most expensive pair of shoes I own, I'll wear them to dinner!

Of course you know I'm joking. You cannot base appropriateness on cost. A pair of $200 jeans is still a pair of jeans. $150 pajamas are still pajamas. I have swimsuits that cost more than some of my dresses. Degree of formality matters, not cost.

I could care less if you want to wear flip flops. I wore them on my last cruise with sundresses (all except formal nights). The shoes I wore look like this, but were white, they have a small heel, but yes, they are plastic:

http://www.zappos.com/images/640/128640/60275-p.jpg

Flip flops are stylish and cute when paired with sundresses or capri pans. I looked better than 99% of people at dinner. I tolerate men with chest hair sticking out of the top of their shirts and "plumper" women who think strech material is their friend, so other people can tolerate me wearing flip flops.

I wear flip flops to work everyday with my dress pants, capris, or skirts, and so does every other woman under the age of 30 at my office. I work for the state goverment, and nobody sees this as inappropriate. The flip flops I wear are still plastic/foam/material, both platform and flat.

I see no reason why you should run out and spend the money on new shoes for your girls. Let them be comfortable and enjoy their vacation. It's not like them wearing flip flops is going to kill someone. I'm not condoning wearing nasty old beach flip flops that have seen better days--if they are cute, stylish, and the color matches, go for it! It's not like they are going to be running into the dining room with their pool sandals and swimsuit coverups on. They will look the part if their whole outfit is pulled together nicely.

I know some of you might GASP at this, but I wore the above flip flops (in white) with my wedding dress. It is very popular for summer weddings. So shoot me!

Archived