Flip flops in dining room??

I could care less if you want to wear flip flops. I wore them on my last cruise with sundresses (all except formal nights). The shoes I wore look like this, but were white, they have a small heel, but yes, they are plastic:

http://www.zappos.com/images/640/128640/60275-p.jpg

Flip flops are stylish and cute when paired with sundresses or capri pans. I looked better than 99% of people at dinner. I tolerate men with chest hair sticking out of the top of their shirts and "plumper" women who think strech material is their friend, so other people can tolerate me wearing flip flops.

I wear flip flops to work everyday with my dress pants, capris, or skirts, and so does every other woman under the age of 30 at my office. I work for the state goverment, and nobody sees this as inappropriate. The flip flops I wear are still plastic/foam/material, both platform and flat.

I see no reason why you should run out and spend the money on new shoes for your girls. Let them be comfortable and enjoy their vacation. It's not like them wearing flip flops is going to kill someone. I'm not condoning wearing nasty old beach flip flops that have seen better days--if they are cute, stylish, and the color matches, go for it! It's not like they are going to be running into the dining room with their pool sandals and swimsuit coverups on. They will look the part if their whole outfit is pulled together nicely.

I know some of you might GASP at this, but I wore the above flip flops (in white) with my wedding dress. It is very popular for summer weddings. So shoot me!

hmmm , I guess I am just fashion outdated :rolleyes:

Dhorsegal, though those have a thong, they are more sandals than what one would call flip flops.

i believe flip flops are the foam or rubber thongs that one wears to the beach, or shower. i would even go so far as to say i think flip flops dont even have to have a thong. take for instance, any of these: http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722001106/page/1.html

People, these are flip-flops;

Flip_Flops.jpg

Flip-flops are rubber. When you say flip-flops, most people assume you are talking about those above.

From Google flip-flops;

http://images.google.com/images?q=flip-flops&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-34,GGLD:en&sa=N&tab=wi

If you say sandals, most people assume you are talking about a more upscale shoe, whether or not it has a heel. The plastic ones someone posted before, I would call sandal.(albeit only slightly upscale from a flip-flop)

People, these are flip-flops;

Flip_Flops.jpg

Flip-flops are rubber. When you say flip-flops, most people assume you are talking about those above.

From Google flip-flops;

http://images.google.com/images?q=flip-flops&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-34,GGLD:en&sa=N&tab=wi

If you say sandals, most people assume you are talking about a more upscale shoe, whether or not it has a heel. The plastic ones someone posted before, I would call sandal.(albeit only slightly upscale from a flip-flop)

Thanks 1corona. But I can't read the writing - are they Manolo's or Calvin Klein's? ;) :D

I am far from being a teenager, and I wear flip flops the whole time I'm on a cruise. As soon as I get on the ship my feet swell, and I can't get any of my shoes on. On formal night I have a pair of flip flops that go great with my dress. They have sequines and rinestones, and I also get a pedicure. No one has ever said anything. I also have a gold pair that I also wear to the dinning room on not formal nights.

Joyce

I think rubber, beach-type flip flops in the dining room (at dinner time) are tacky looking. Nice sandals are a whole different thing. Sneakers are a whole different issue. IMO that's just as bad as beach shoes.

Gee, sorry I asked, but this is our first cruise! I was willing to take everyone's opinions in stride, until I read that last one stating my girls' would be tacky to wear them to dinner. One thing my girls never look when they go out is tacky! They are beautiful young girls with thin, model-like figures And they will be wearing pretty sundresses or white capris with matching flip flops (some have little heels, rhinestones or flowers on them)!

Gee, sorry I asked, but this is our first cruise! I was willing to take everyone's opinions in stride, until I read that last one stating my girls' would be tacky to wear them to dinner. One thing my girls never look when they go out is tacky! They are beautiful young girls with thin, model-like figures And they will be wearing pretty sundresses or white capris with matching flip flops (some have little heels, rhinestones or flowers on them)!

I think you are going to have a great time. You daughters I'm sure will look great . The shoe thing (Like Flagger said is of very little importance.)

I think what happened in my mind was 'flip-flops ' more inappropriate dress in the dining room .

I don't see this in your case at all.

I guess I am getting jaded with the hats on backwards /torn jeans/t-shirts etc in the dining room just takes away from the cruising ambiance...IMO .

I wish you you a fantastic cruise and fine dining . :)

Sorry leahjade, I didn't mean to offend you (or anyone else) by my comment. I meant that beach-style flip-flops (which you've stated your girls don't intend to wear) would be inappropriate in this setting. I meant no offense at all against you or your daughters.

Again, sorry that my comment was misinterpreted. Things always look different in print than they sound in my head, which should remind me to reread my posts before hitting 'submit'. :)

I've seen the teens wear beach type flip flops with a formal for prom. Flip flops are all many of the teens wear right now. My daughter wore them all winter...in Minnesota. I think if the girls are wearing a nice outfit for casual dinner, flip flops are fine. Who wants to argue shoes with a teen...save the battles for bigger issues.

I was driving last week when a teen in the beach flip flops was crossing the Avenue I was on. We were stopped for a light. Her flip flops came apart and made her fall mid crossing. She then stumbled back to the other side. It is a good thing she was not hurt or run over if it happened as she dashed across ( as kids have been known to do):(

I love sandals, and flip flops, however, most podiatrist will tell you that they are not good for your feet long term. While they are comfortable initially, they can cause a lot of problems later on, since they don't provide arch support. I have worn sandals my whole life, and I can tell you, I have all kinds of foot issues. flat feet being one of them. But, I hate shoes, LOL. I do wear New Balance sneakers when I am working though, because I stand all day.

I know people don't want to argue with teens about flip flops, but they could well end up with foot issues too, and that could become very important down the road. Knowing what I know now, I would limit my kids wearing of flip flops. Like only on weekends. They'd thank me later I'm sure.:)

You asked a simple question and you will see how things go awry on these boards...one of the reasons that I don't participate as much as I used to...

I always carry a "generic' pair of flip flops, (Sandals) neutral color, leather, suede and sequins and quite study but flat. They can go anywhere from pool to dinner and on occasion I have had to wear them on formal night because my feet were swollen also and it was that or barefoot......they go with everything...

There was a scene in Shawshank Redemption...." last thing anyone notices is a man's shoes."

I know some people try to give simple advice but some should really get a life.....

Oh no!! Now I will be looking at everybodys feet for my enitire cruise!!! If you see me in the dining room looking under your table dont worry, its just the flip flop survey taker!!! LOL I am sorry this thread just amused me!!

I have some very nice dressy flip flop/sandals & then I have the $1.00 ones from walmart too but i will use them aroung the pool & beaches only.

Every one will look wonderful at dinnertime both formal & casual. The Main thing here is Have a WONDERFUL CRUISE!!

You asked a simple question and you will see how things go awry on these boards...one of the reasons that I don't participate as much as I used to...

I know some people try to give simple advice but some should really get a life.....

Seems to me you and the OP are the only ones taking offense where none was intended. So what if Sherry7 states her opinion, in response to the OP's question, that beach flip flops look tacky in the dining room??? Why should she have to apologize for expressing her view??? It amazes me how people ask questions and then get bent out of shape when they don't get the answer they want 100% of the time. Like a poll with only one choice. The "get a life" comment was really not very nice.

allowed, yes. appropriate, no. IMHO

100% agree!!! And very well said in a few words, Terri! :)

We have a teenager daughter too and VERY uptodate with teens fashion these days! She may go into Denny's with her (sequined) flip-flops, but certainly will not go in a fine dining restaurant such as Ritz Carlton in flip-flops. It is just the way our family is.

T & J :)

100% agree!!! And very well said in a few words, Terri! :)

We have a teenager daughter too and VERY uptodate with teens fashion these days! She may go into Denny's with her (sequined) flip-flops, but certainly will not go in a fine dining restaurant such as Ritz Carlton in flip-flops. It is just the way our family is.

T & J :)

I wouldn't put the dining room on RCCL in the same class as the Ritz Carlton..sorry!

In Sept I will be wearing my flip flops in the dinning room. One of my formal dresses in black with sequines and beads and so are my flip flops. I will get a pedicure even if my feet are swolen and look like watermellons ( just not green). I will be celebrating my 60th birthday in the dinning room. I will feel just at dressed up as the best of them. Flip flops rule.

Joyce

I look on this topic as I did when my kids were teens. There are some battles that are just not worth fighting. ;) Would I think there were better choices for the dining room? - perhaps.

But if in the total world of suggested dress, if teens (or anyone else for that matter) made the effort to follow the suggested dress to the extent of nice sun dresses or slacks or capri's then I would not worry about the flips. And as stated before, flip flops are indeed a fashion fad for teens at the moment and I challenge any parent to get a teen to wear something that is not "in style" and what every other teen is wearing at the moment! :eek: If you can, you are a better man than I! :D

Archived