Anybody cruise during the Olympics?

kangaand2roos

We will be sailing the pride out of Baltimore during the first week of the Olympics. Opening ceremonies are on the 7th and we cruise 9-16. Just wondering if they will show any events anywhere or if we will get NBC on TV. I pretty much never turn on my TV on a cruise, except maybe to see where the ship is or check the weather if we are an inside cabin, so I've never noticed if we get network tv or not:o

I don't intend to spend a ton of time watching, but I wouldn't mind access to some of the figure skating or hockey. If not,I won't lose any sleep over it. Just wondering!

Back in early 2000's they showed the Winter Olympics. This was pre big screens on the Lido but they were shown on the in cabin TV's. The Olympics were part of our dinner conversation with our tablemates everynight. Well wouldn't you know we would be seated with a couple from Canada and also a Russian couple the year of the big ice skating bruhaha. They awarded the Gold Medal in Ice Skating to the Canadian & the Russian ice skaters. That made for some interesting dinner conversation. Luckily both couples were very nice and no one came to blows over the shared gold medal.

Just glad neither couple asked my opinion. I saw both performances and the Canadian skaters should have won the Gold outright.

I didn't realize that we were cruising during the Olympics until you posted this. I love the Olympics but I am guessing I will just have to miss most of the events this time. Maybe I will drown my sorrows in a few drinks... :D

Just drink them in the sports bar, I guess!

We sailed the Pride twice during the winter olympics. They played the events on the TV in the sports bar, but no special events of any kind..or even mention of the olympics to be honest. We spent most of the time in our cabin watching the events. Because our door and cabin were decorated with so many USA things, the cabin stewards would yell..USA!...USA!...USA!..everytime they walked by our cabin. Some would stop by and watch a little because we started leaving our door propped open with a stopper so they could dip in and watch every once in a while.

We sailed the Pride twice during the winter olympics. They played the events on the TV in the sports bar, but no special events of any kind..or even mention of the olympics to be honest. We spent most of the time in our cabin watching the events. Because our door and cabin were decorated with so many USA things, the cabin stewards would yell..USA!...USA!...USA!..everytime they walked by our cabin. Some would stop by and watch a little because we started leaving our door propped open with a stopper so they could dip in and watch every once in a while.

Thanks for sharing about that. That was really nice of you. I'm sure those stewards appreciated it. Fortunately, I will be back from my cruise a few days before the Olympics start.

We were on the Sensation during the opening ceremonies for the Summer Olympics. No big screen, but most of the tv's around the bars and common areas were playing the ceremonies.

It seems like something newsworthy happens on every cruise we go on, because another time we were cruising when they rescued the trapped miners in Chile. I remember a lot of people were gathered by the tv near the coffee shop watching the coverage.

Archived