Alaska cruisers, give me your best advice...

tampabrat22

It's a ways off, but I'm thinking an Alaskan cruise would be a perfect graduation gift for my son in 2015! It would be our first Alaska cruise so I want to get ahead of the game.

Please give me your best advice or tips for cruising Alaska...any advice on topics like best time to go, when do they release the 2015 schedule, how far out should I book to get a great cabin (balcony or aft?), which departure port is best, which itinerary is best, when is whale watching season, best season for nice weather, basically everything and anything you got! ;)

Thanks in advance!

Get the best balcony you can afford unless you love viewing with the masses on the open decks!

We did the aft wrap on Deck 4...we lived out there...LOL

The best weather is July & August...more $$$ too.

We did the Seattle round trip....the ones out of Vancouver are usually better viewing though.

Read, Search, Research.......Over & Over!

Until you fill your itinerary and are EXCITED about what you plan.

Honestly, CC is a wealth of information, as is the www.

Here's what we did for some ideas: (Check out any reviews on CC you can find...there are some great ones!)

Bought Seattle Toursaver Book & Alaska Toursaver Book...saved $$$.

Toured Seattle for 3 days prior...wished it was 3 weeks, sooo much to do!

The Space Needle is awesome....if you want to dine...make a reservation.

Well worth it, too!

The boat cruise around the Seattle Bay, super fun & informative.

Pikes Place Market.

Seaplane Tour.

Believe or not, and we've never done it elsewhere and did it on a crazy whim while walking by; The Duck Tour is fantastic! See a lot and way, way fun!

If you can swing it....the up close to the glaciers tour off the ship was worth it to us.....amazing!

Juneau: Whale Watching....great Experience

Took Tram up to Restaurant, fabulous food, service & views.

Skagway: A.M. Took Fast Ferry to Haines and Toured The Big Nugget Mine (as seen on Gold Rush....Parker Schnabel running Gpa's Mine. Through Rainbow Adventure Tours. Dropped off at Haines Airport and flown over glaciers (the most beautiful sights we have EVER seen!) via Fly Drake as seen on Alaska Airmen on TV. He is a gem and well known skilled pilot. He dropped us at Skagway Airport, then we rented a stocked Jeep and went to Dyea and then north to the Yukon. Gorgeous, raw nature.

Ketchikan: Rented a Harley & guide then saw major sights and fell in love with Potlatch Totem Park...do not miss this...fascinating.

Victoria: Rented carriage ride around Victoria.....very fun, informative and beautiful, beautiful city.

Bring comfy waterproof boots, waterproof jacket with hood with a baseball cap under hood....great for staying dry....it drizzled nearly our entire week!

Really gave it a mystical twist in viewing sometimes.....dreamy.

Waterproof a sturdy string pack for your "stuff" & the bill of that baseball cap. Pack lots of layering clothes so you are prepared for chilly nights, glacier viewing, etc...and sunny warm days.

Take lots of memory, batteries for camara & binoculars.

It is said to be the most beautiful place on earth by many peeps, so enjoy!

It's a ways off, but I'm thinking an Alaskan cruise would be a perfect graduation gift for my son in 2015! It would be our first Alaska cruise so I want to get ahead of the game.

Please give me your best advice or tips for cruising Alaska...any advice on topics like best time to go, when do they release the 2015 schedule, how far out should I book to get a great cabin (balcony or aft?), which departure port is best, which itinerary is best, when is whale watching season, best season for nice weather, basically everything and anything you got! ;)

Thanks in advance!

you should basically look at the ports and decide what will interest you .

If you can take Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier on your cruise . Decide whether you want to do land tour as well. You will have make a lot choices before you decide which cruise is the best.

We have been on an Alaskan Cruise twice. Love them! Early July is a good time to go. The weather is hit and miss in Alaska. Our first cruise was beautiful weather and the second cruise it was rainy. So be prepared for all types of weather, nice, rainy. You will need a jacket for the glacier viewing. 2015 cruises should be showing up pretty soon. The sooner you can book the better. Cruise excursions we do on our own. There are companies who will take you whale watching, in Skagway we rented a car and did our own thing. Ketchican is just awesome within it's self. We love just walking around the town and exploring.

We went to Alaska last year 8/21 and loved it so much we booked another trip for next August.

Take layers for clothes, a waterproof jacket, shoes and light gloves. I bought cuddle duds as they are light and keep you warm. It seems to be a more casual cruise as far as dress goes. Bring binoculars and a camera.

If you are able go out to Seattle early it is a beautiful city, but be prepared as rooms aren't cheap.

We booked the excursion to Tracy Arm. I thought it was awesome but it is pricey. They pick you up right from the ship and take you up close to the glacier.

We had an extended balcony 8232 which is port side I wished we were starboard because as we cruised up to Alaska it seemed like so much of the wild life sightings were on the other side. My son did the same cruise the year before and he had an aft wrap. He said it was not covered and they had a lot of rain and didn't get to use their balcony much. Our extended balcony was fully covered I noticed the wraps on deck four had a good overhang. I do love sailing aft.

In Juneau we went whale watching with Harv and Marv. In Ketchikan we walked around the town. In Skagway we rented a car (Avis) and drove up to Emerald Lake. It was very pretty and once we got away from port the fog lifted. You have to have a passport to do this though as you are leaving the US. We took ours but they never asked for it.

If you go to the Alaska ports of call board you will find lots of helpful info. Hope you get to go and have a great time!

Best piece of advice: Look at OTHER cruise lines, specifically Princess or Holland America.

While Carnival does a great job in the Caribbean, their Alaska itineraries are VERY limited.

Ideally, you want a one way itinerary that visits Glacier Bay. One way itineraries will sail between Vancouver and Seward/Whitier. They'll give you more time in port and will also allow you to go deeper into Alaska. Also, you have the option to combine your cruise with a visit to Denali either before or after your cruise.

Glacier Bay is absolutely stunning and will easily be the highlight of your cruise. Unfortunately, only a handful of permits are issued every year to enter Glacier Bay, most of which are snagged by Princess and Holland America. Carnival only gets 2 permits during the entire season but you can visit Glacier Bay weekly on the other two cruise lines mentioned.

Finally, if you are on a budget, round trips from Seattle will save you a ton on airfare but you will see less of Alaska. Several sailings from Seattle do offer Glacier Bay though.

Have a great time planning. Alaska was easily one of the BEST cruises we've ever taken. Feel free to click on the link in my signature for more details. :)

I cruised Alaska with Carnival and enjoyed it very much. However, I hear time and time again the best cruise line to sail to Alaska on is Princess.

At the time I couldn't afford Princess, but I plan on trying them on my next trip to Alaska. But Princess, Carnival, or anyone else I am sure you both will enjoy it.

My cruise was the first week of June and we had the best weather. It can be really hit and miss with Alaska so bring layers. We ended up in the mid 70s the entire cruise. Maybe we were lucky. But great weather at good prices in June made me happy:). July and August are known as the best times but they cost more. We saw tons of whales in June. And Juneau is known for their whale watching excursions.

My cruise was out of Seattle. I love Seattle and if you have never been it is a great port to cruise out of and spend a few days in. There is a lot to do.

If there is any cruise to pay more for a balcony it is this one! Book early to ensure you get one. They can be in high demand.

Check the Alaska board on cc.....we went this past May and it was amazing!

Glacier Bay is a must!!! It was one of the most amazing places I have ever experienced. We had beautiful weather which helped.

We sailed out of Vancouver so experience more of the inside passage. Flying into Vancouver is more expensive than Seattle and so are hotels, etc. But you can always fly into Seattle and take the train, bus or rental car to Vancouver.

Here is a link to my recent review of our Alaska cruise.....Holland America, May 2013, Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1886845

One GREAT thing about Alaska cruises are the port times. You are in port for many more hours than a Caribbean cruise.

I went in May, great weather the whole time. The park ranger that came on the ship to narrate out passage through (I think) Glacier Bay said another few weeks and there would be a lot of rain.

If you do have a balcony you will not hear much of what is being said as you pass through the various areas. Also you will want to be able to see what's on both sides of the ship. Of course the rest of the time balcony is a great thing to have.

I cruised Alaska with Carnival and enjoyed it very much. However, I hear time and time again the best cruise line to sail to Alaska on is Princess.

At the time I couldn't afford Princess, but I plan on trying them on my next trip to Alaska. But Princess, Carnival, or anyone else I am sure you both will enjoy it.

They do it well. The thing to look for is port times. NCL for example has some short port times. You'll want to spend as much time as possible in port so leaving at 2pm is not good.

We always rent cars in port so we can get out of town. Especially when there are a lot of cruise ships in port. We drive to the ends of the road. We see the sights the tour buses see but on our schedule. We eat in local restaurants that are not touristy. We have met wonderful people. It's a great way to see Alaska at your pace and in your time frame and to see what you want to see when you want to see it. We have made some wonderful discoveries along the way. Once we saw people throwing salmon to their friends on the shore. They were just scooping them out of the water and tossing them ashore.

Take Tapi's advice and don't Carnival. Only 2 cruises per season to Glacier bay and Carnivals cruises leave on Tuesdays which is hard for some to get off work from Monday to Wednesday.

we did the Diamond Princess starting out in Vancouver and ending in Whittier and we booked an (gasp) inside.

It was horrible out on deck viewing the glaciers with other people near us (ewww), but we survived.;)

With airfares so high now the cruise lines were cutting prices to Alaska this summer. I got another Holland America private sale snail mail today.

It's a lot of fun planning and the views and sights are incredible.

Bill

Take Tapi's advice and don't Carnival. Only 2 cruises per season to Glacier bay and Carnivals cruises leave on Tuesdays which is hard for some to get off work from Monday to Wednesday.

we did the Diamond Princess starting out in Vancouver and ending in Whittier and we booked an (gasp) inside.

It was horrible out on deck viewing the glaciers with other people near us (ewww), but we survived.;)

With airfares so high now the cruise lines were cutting prices to Alaska this summer. I got another Holland America private sale snail mail today.

It's a lot of fun planning and the views and sights are incredible.

Bill

We sailed on HAL for our honeymoon to Alaska and it was amazing! Highly recommend Glacier Bay like others are saying. It was our first time not sailing Carnival, but we really enjoyed it.

And Bill - isn't it crazy how many sale mailers Holland sends out? We get one every week it seems with great deals! As low as $300/person for an inside cabin last minute. So tempting to go back!! :)

OP - definitely do your research, there are lots of Alaska options so see what's out there! I agree whale watching is a must in Juneau, it was one of the highlights of our trip. We used Harv and Marv for a more personalized experience than the ships tour.

Jenn :)

There is no "best" for everyone. People will tell you what was "best" for them, but that doesn't make it "best" for you!

One previous poster said to get "the best balcony you can afford." I say you should get the cheapest cabin you can stand, and spend all that extra money on the best excursions! Viewing is better from open decks than stuck in one spot on a balcony anyway.

We did go on a cruise to Alaska for my son's high school graduation gift 2 years ago, and I hope to do the same for my younger son next year. I can tell you that my teens cared more about the food, pools and meeting new friends than they did about Alaska. ;)

We sailed on HAL for our honeymoon to Alaska and it was amazing! Highly recommend Glacier Bay like others are saying. It was our first time not sailing Carnival, but we really enjoyed it.

And Bill - isn't it crazy how many sale mailers Holland sends out? We get one every week it seems with great deals! As low as $300/person for an inside cabin last minute. So tempting to go back!! :)

OP - definitely do your research, there are lots of Alaska options so see what's out there! I agree whale watching is a must in Juneau, it was one of the highlights of our trip. We used Harv and Marv for a more personalized experience than the ships tour.

Jenn :)

Yes it is amazing and the emails also but I'm out of vacation time for awhile so I just discard them without even opening them.

That way I don't know what I'm missing.;)

If we ever go again I'd do the Seattle round trip. Taking 3 different planes and taking about 20 hours to get home and then work the next day was not pretty. lol

Bill

There is no "best" for everyone. People will tell you what was "best" for them, but that doesn't make it "best" for you!

One previous poster said to get "the best balcony you can afford." I say you should get the cheapest cabin you can stand, and spend all that extra money on the best excursions! Viewing is better from open decks than stuck in one spot on a balcony anyway.

We did go on a cruise to Alaska for my son's high school graduation gift 2 years ago, and I hope to do the same for my younger son next year. I can tell you that my teens cared more about the food, pools and meeting new friends than they did about Alaska. ;)

This was also stated "unless you like viewing with the masses", our party had no desire to jostle for viewing positions, etc..... We did a few times and despised it. DH & I booking the Deck 4 aft wrap with the very large overhang was a win win for us and our friends. You are in no way stuck in one spot. This was our experience and opinions. IF booking Carnival (not the best itinerary or ship) that is the best balcony to book. But hiring the plane to soar us over Glacier Bay, and many other glaciers, up close and very personal was a great compromise.

If you noted the rest of my post, you'd also have to note that for us, booking the best excursions was also done...best for us, anyway.

We do not feel scrimping on any Alaska cruise aspect is a good value at all.

We did, however, cruise Carnival to Alaska for other reasons. Aft wrap for 1.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, I am sure the OP appreciates everyone's experiences and opinions and will therefore be well informed to decide the importance of all the aspects for their cruise.

I was on NCL, at the time it seemed like the best deal for the itinerary.

The only port I was not real happy about was Victoria BC, we got there late in the day so it was dark shortly after arriving. Not easy to see much of the area.

The stop in Victoria is really not about seeing Victoria but just so the cruise line complies with the law of stopping at a foreign port on a closed loop cruise from Seattle.

Bill

Thanks in advance!

We just did this for my oldest son this summer. It was his "pre-graduation" trip. It'll be too busy for us after graduation in May to try and fit a long trip in.

First thing to do is get some Alaska guide books - Frommers, Fodors, etc. Also get some Alaska by Cruiseship guide books. Read through them and decide what you want to do. I originally thought we would only do 1 week sailing round trip from Seattle, but there was so much I wanted to see & do that that just wasn't going to work. We ended up with a week inland prior to our Southbound Millennium cruise to Vancouver.

I won't go into everything we did, but you can read about it here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1877023.

If you have any questions about any of our trip, I'll be happy to answer them. I will say, my son was 17 at the time of sailing so he was able to use the teen facilities (Club X on Celebrity). He had a BLAST! If your son will be 18 or older, he won't be able to use Club X so he may not have as much fun as my son and may find it harder to find kids his own age.

If we ever go again I'd do the Seattle round trip. Taking 3 different planes and taking about 20 hours to get home and then work the next day was not pretty. lol

Bill

Wow. Nothing like slamming into reality. Re-entry is rough anyway but that sounds even more so. I've flown home from Europe and worked the next day so I sympathize. I always felt the job was not getting my best that day.:rolleyes:

I would agree with the "no need for a balcony" crowd. We had an ocean view which was perfect for us. We were able to see when it was dark & light which was important to me. I spent the majority of my time on the bow of the ship taking photographs. The only time I felt crowded was during Glacier Bay but I had a great spot and meet some really fun people. I liked the ability to catch all sides of the boat...front, back, left & right.

I wanted as much extra money to spend on excursions instead of the room. Alaska excursions are ecpensive!

I would agree with the "no need for a balcony" crowd. We had an ocean view which was perfect for us. We were able to see when it was dark & light which was important to me. I spent the majority of my time on the bow of the ship taking photographs. The only time I felt crowded was during Glacier Bay but I had a great spot and meet some really fun people. I liked the ability to catch all sides of the boat...front, back, left & right.

I wanted as much extra money to spend on excursions instead of the room. Alaska excursions are ecpensive!

On our last Alaska cruise there were two gentlemen who spent most of their time on deck photographing wild life. For most of the cruise they were alone as it was cold on Glacier Bay day they were surrounded by people and I'm sure they were wishing for the tranquil days of being alone.

Even if we're in a balcony we sometimes go out and explore in Glacier Bay. On the last cruise the place to be was at the bow on Promenade Deck. Spectacular.

On the other hand it's nice to sit on your balcony and order tea from room service.

I have never spoken to a fellow cruiser that did not like their Alaska cruise. So, you will need to decided what is most important to you. Nature, history, bears, whales????? Everyone will tell you what they did and when they went is best --or at least good. :)

Here is a good link to start your research online:

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/juneau.html#.UhZbChtJNk0

I have never spoken to a fellow cruiser that did not like their Alaska cruise. So, you will need to decided what is most important to you. Nature, history, bears, whales????? Everyone will tell you what they did and when they went is best --or at least good. :)

Here is a good link to start your research online:

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/juneau.html#.UhZbChtJNk0

You're right it's all personal opinion so one should take what appeals to them and run with it.

Archived