Alaska cruisers, give me your best advice...

tampabrat22

This was also stated "unless you like viewing with the masses", our party had no desire to jostle for viewing positions, etc..... We did a few times and despised it. DH & I booking the Deck 4 aft wrap with the very large overhang was a win win for us and our friends. You are in no way stuck in one spot. This was our experience and opinions. IF booking Carnival (not the best itinerary or ship) that is the best balcony to book. But hiring the plane to soar us over Glacier Bay, and many other glaciers, up close and very personal was a great compromise.

If you noted the rest of my post, you'd also have to note that for us, booking the best excursions was also done...best for us, anyway.

We do not feel scrimping on any Alaska cruise aspect is a good value at all.

We did, however, cruise Carnival to Alaska for other reasons. Aft wrap for 1.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, I am sure the OP appreciates everyone's experiences and opinions and will therefore be well informed to decide the importance of all the aspects for their cruise.

My comments were not intended to insult your choices. I was simply using your post as an example of how "best" for one person is not "best" for everyone. I'm sure you were very happy with your cruise, but I was also happy with mine, in an inside cabin and sharing the open decks with the masses. Neither is right or wrong or best. We each do what we like. That was the point of my post. Sorry you felt insulted.

When we did Alaska, we went at the end of August. We saw a huge pod of humpback whales on either side of the ship as we sailed past them. Of course, whales can't be guaranteed from the ship. We were also there during the salmon rush upstream, but we were told that it was actually 2-3 weeks late that year.

When we did Alaska, we went at the end of August. We saw a huge pod of humpback whales on either side of the ship as we sailed past them. Of course, whales can't be guaranteed from the ship. We were also there during the salmon rush upstream, but we were told that it was actually 2-3 weeks late that year.

Great luck to see a pod of Humpbacks. Perhaps the salmon were just waiting for you to get there. ;)

It is very easy to see salmon the end of August, on the inside passage. You have the opportunity in every port, with pretty close to 100% success in at least one of them.

It is very easy to see salmon the end of August, on the inside passage. You have the opportunity in every port, with pretty close to 100% success in at least one of them.

I spent two summers in Ketchikan, Alaska with my High School roommate's family. The Salmon ladder was one thing we liked to visit.

We have been on an Alaskan Cruise twice. Love them! Early July is a good time to go. The weather is hit and miss in Alaska. Our first cruise was beautiful weather and the second cruise it was rainy. So be prepared for all types of weather, nice, rainy. You will need a jacket for the glacier viewing. 2015 cruises should be showing up pretty soon. The sooner you can book the better. Cruise excursions we do on our own. There are companies who will take you whale watching, in Skagway we rented a car and did our own thing. Ketchican is just awesome within it's self. We love just walking around the town and exploring.

I got lucky and had great weather early June of this year. Don't go crazy on the clothes--being from Tampa area too I don't own a sweater! Nice waterproof jacket with hood was enough.

I agree to just do a Ketchican walk around. Great little place with some fabulous food.

Take very good binoculars!

Went whale watching in Juneau. What a sight!

Plan ahead as much as you can. Get hotel room near something to do the day before and there are $12 shuttles to the pier to be found online.

A couple weather comments. Several here have said the best time is July/August and then followed up with bring rain proof clothes because it rained. We have gone "early" (late May early June) 3 or 4 times in the past few years. Only a couple of rainy days total. No really cold days and many days were shorts and tees. One thing to consider if going later, the bugs will be out. Going when we go, I have seen a total of two mosquitoes and that was last June (lots of early rain this year in Alaska). Also, there is more snow on the mountain tops so the views are more spectacular. Did I mention the cruise prices are also lower?

1 Research use either books or the internet - try www.cruiseportinsider.com under the Alaska section or www.travelalaska.com - the official site of AK tourism.

2 Decide from your research what interests you the most - AK offers lots of wildlife, scenery, and history.

3 Take stock of how much time and $$ you have to spend.

4 If you have more than the cruise time consider where you want to spend you pre/post cruise time - there are lots to see and do in either the Seattle/Vancouver BC area or Whittier/Seward - Anchorage. In either of these places you can see a lot in as little as two or three days - if you have a week or more then I would consider a trip to Denali and Fairbanks.

5 By this point you should have an idea of where you want to spend your time - find the itinerary that best matches what you want to do.

Archived