Which is the More Scenic car or train from Anchorage to Seward.

eatranman

Did the train just last week and LOVED it. We also were in Skagway but rented a car there. You have the option to rent a car or train in either location. There are pros and cons with either. Check the prices. It is probably cheaper to rent a car in Skagway since it is roundtrip than it is to rent it from Anchorage to Seward.

Here are just a few shots taken on the train from Anchorage to Seward. The first two could be either highway or train, and then the last three are only seen from the train.

I am sure that I could post lots of shots that you can only see from the highway.

DON

Just returned from my first trip to Alaska last week. We chose to take the train from Seward to Anchorage, and absolutely LOVED it! Although I do not have experience with renting a car for the same journey, I would choose the train again in a heartbeat.

We arrived at the hotel in Anchorage about 8:30pm but then went out for a late dinner and went to bed about 11pm. Woke up at 4:30 with no problem at all. Called for a taxi about 5:10 and arrived at the station around 5:30. Luggage drop off was a breeze and it was checked all the way to the ship for us. The ticket window did not actually open until 5:45 and people were continuing to check in up until at least 6:15. So, 5:45-6:00 is a good time frame to arrive. We boarded the train around 6:30, I think. We did choose the Gold Dome cars and are thankful that we did. The views were spectacular, and we enjoyed the open observation deck as well. I'm not sure about the standard cars, but we had complimentary coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.

We saw eagles, moose, and a bear from the train, and I was able to take pictures of all of them. There was a tour guide in each train car giving us detailed information about what we were seeing and also helping to point out wildlife. Also, the train did slow considerably when the moose and bear were spotted, giving us time to take photographs. The train also slowed as we passed the glaciers giving all the cars a chance to see them before continuing on.

Upon arrival to Seward, there were shuttle buses (Royal Caribbean) available free of charge from the train to the cruise terminal. The distance would have been walkable (I'm guessing about 1/2 mile), but the shuttle was easy and convenient, especially for my 81 year old grandmother. Our luggage also arrived on the ship without a problem in a timely manner, by 3pm.

Because we were not familiar with the area, we were grateful that we chose the train. It was one of our favorite excursions.