Viking Homeland extensions

79ti

Just booked Viking Homeland July 25 Stockholm to Bergen. Excited except the Iceland extension Pre and post is already booked full. We also wanted Oslo bergen Rail for the post extension and that is not even out yet. Disapoined about Iceland for sure. Our agent at Viking stated that some folks may cancel by Dec 31st so we would be in luck BUT you would think this being 2 years in advance we would be OK. Still looking forward to the trip but I hate travelling from Ontario Canada for only 15 days. If we have to fly from here, we prefer to stay longer in Europe. Not a problem with our 2 week Avalon trip in 2009 as we were able to book the extension in Praque only a year in advance. I hope Viking will add some passengers to the Iceland trip.

All in all, we are excited as we have China 24 days coming up in 3 weeks and then Scandanavia in 2015. Maybe we can find something for 2014. We have done extensive travelling for years but always look forward to upcoming trips.

Lori

Just booked Viking Homeland July 25 Stockholm to Bergen. Excited except the Iceland extension Pre and post is already booked full. We also wanted Oslo bergen Rail for the post extension and that is not even out yet. Disapoined about Iceland for sure. Our agent at Viking stated that some folks may cancel by Dec 31st so we would be in luck BUT you would think this being 2 years in advance we would be OK. Still looking forward to the trip but I hate travelling from Ontario Canada for only 15 days. If we have to fly from here, we prefer to stay longer in Europe. Not a problem with our 2 week Avalon trip in 2009 as we were able to book the extension in Praque only a year in advance. I hope Viking will add some passengers to the Iceland trip.

All in all, we are excited as we have China 24 days coming up in 3 weeks and then Scandanavia in 2015. Maybe we can find something for 2014. We have done extensive travelling for years but always look forward to upcoming trips.

Lori

I had a difficult time convincing my husband to go on this trip since he hates the cold weather. I would never be able to get him to go to Iceland. You may want to explore booking on your own for the pre-cruise. Usually it is cheaper.

Booking on our own may be the way but I would rather Viking do the entire trip. We are not using a TA. We will have to see. The weather will be cooler in Iceland, you are right, much like it is here end Oct (around 13 C or 55 F)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

We wanted to come 3 days early to Stockholm and stay a day later in Bergen. That caused the price of the airfare to jump $200 pp. The cost of extending the the early arrival and later departure were quickly mounting and we were loosing transfers in the process without any benefits. Decided to book the hotel on our own in Stockholm. We saved enough money to buy the Stockholm Card with benefits of public transportation and entrance into the museums we wanted to see. It didn't include food, but neither did their offer. We did loose the attention of a Viking Concierge but we weren't getting that much help from their agent in the first place so I can't imagine this as a lose.

Looked into booking our own air and found we could do it, get the times we wanted, stay a night in Montreal in a real bed for cheaper than Viking was offering before they started adding on extra charges! Now our cruise is a little less than 2 years and prices could go up, but they would have to escalate over 20% to reach our original charge from Viking and we get what we want in the first place.