2-Days-What do to Sunday Morning?

angelndscz

Last MLK we stayed for four nights. We decide not to pay to stay two extra nights so we will only be there two nights this year (for my daughter's competition at the convention center).

DH and I have been to NO several times but still want to ensure we plan what we are doing so we don't waste they days. We are a very active family who can handle a lot of walking. Walked around NO the entire trip last time... okay it was cold so I took a taxi a couple times back to the hotel.

Here is what I have so far:

Friday:

- Arrive in NO between 10-11 am (we are driving)

- Cemetery tour (got there 5 min too late last year)

- Check into hotel

- Walk around French Quarters before/after dinner. DH is going to check out restaurant from the Diner and Dives guy. He likes trying new places.

- Ghost tour (did this last year and the kids liked it) or Carriage Ride (DD and I like this).

Saturday:

- Me and DD go to her competition.

- DH and DS goes on a swamp tour (it's his 12th birthday). I am looking for a good tour that is more than two hours. Maybe one that also includes lunch or a combo package? I want a great tour, not a bare basic tour. We have gators in our backyard but not a swamp. LoL.

- Need to find a bakery this trip to get a cake, didn't do that last year.

- Meet back up for dinner

- Not sure what else to do for the evening. Need something kid friendly. Last resort to grab a good table at Cafe Du Monde to sit as long as possible until we are kicked out. LoL (we will be ordering of course but will eventually get full). I may save the carriage tour for this night.

Sunday:

- Breakfast at Mothers (ate here last year with kids, DH didn't make that trip)

- Check out of Hotel

-This is where I am drawing a blank on what to do... a garden district tour? I am not sure if the kids will like that. We did the insectarium last year, it is small but the butterfly garden made it worth it.

We want to spend half a day before leaving, but understand Sunday morning may not have a lot to do. If we leave by 5 we will be home by midnight.

Kids are 11 and 12 but mature and extremely bright for their age.

For Sunday morning, you may want to consider visiting the Zoo or the Aquarium.

The National World War II Museum is interesting as well.

You may want to check out Angelo Brocato as a place to celebrate your son's birthday -- it's an Italian bakery on the Canal Street Streetcar line. They don't do cakes as such, but they have a really nice selection of Italian pastries and gelatos/ices.

For Sunday morning, you may want to consider visiting the Zoo or the Aquarium.

The National World War II Museum is interesting as well.

You may want to check out Angelo Brocato as a place to celebrate your son's birthday -- it's an Italian bakery on the Canal Street Streetcar line. They don't do cakes as such, but they have a really nice selection of Italian pastries and gelatos/ices.

Thank you for the suggestion on Angelo Brocato. I will research it. Yes, it doesn't have to be a standard cake, just something to celebrate.

We live in Tampa so we have Busch Gardens and the Florida Aquarium within 15 minute drive. I will ask them if they are interested in the zoo or aquarium.

Oh, and I totally forgot about the River Boat. I wonder what their Sunday hours are? I think a Sunday morning boat ride after breakfast sounds pretty relaxing. I am headed to work so I will have to research that later.

I've signed us up to do a Stray Boots scavenger hunt after our cruise in January. Can be started anytime-gives clues, then you solve riddles and answer trivia on your cell phone. Takes about 2 1/2 hours and takes you all around the French Quarter, to places you wouldn't normally see- it ends at Cafe du Monde. Sounds fun and active before we head to the airport. They also have them in other cities. Google for info. TripAdvisor has some great reviews.

I've signed us up to do a Stray Boots scavenger hunt after our cruise in January. Can be started anytime-gives clues, then you solve riddles and answer trivia on your cell phone. Takes about 2 1/2 hours and takes you all around the French Quarter, to places you wouldn't normally see- it ends at Cafe du Monde. Sounds fun and active before we head to the airport. They also have them in other cities. Google for info. TripAdvisor has some great reviews.

We did Stray Boots last year. We really enjoyed it but only got about half way through. We were with another cheer family and they wanted to go off and do something else. I think we can still pick it up our first day there since you have a year to complete it.

I FB messaged Cajun Pride a few days ago. I recieved a very friendly response back. In fact, he was very up front about the weather in January and not seeing as many gators as the summer. I really appreciated his honesty. I would hate to be disappointed for something beyond their control.

Now I am trying to decide if DH and DS should still do a swamp tour or not. Last year it was cold so one of the air boats would probably make them even colder (but fun).

What else could they do for a 12-year old boy's birthday (it is actually the day of his birthday that daughter has to compete)?

I am not coming up with many other ideas. I don't think DS would really care about the zoo that much. He has been to Animal Kingdom, Detroit Zoo, Tampa Zoo, Busch Gardens, etc. He has also been to the Florida Aquarium and Georgia Aquarium. We have membership to our local science museum and he has been to the insectarium.

Again, we are going MLK weekend and looking for something to do on January 18? I know that is the window for superbowl playoffs. If there was a professional sports game, that would be an idea.

Here is an idea. It would certainly make for a special day. I did it with my kids and it was something we will never forgot and plan to do again when the weather gets cooler. It is about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes to get there but worth it from New Orleans but worth it. It is the private Pinz tour at Global Wildlife center. Here is the link. They also have wagon tours with many people that go out together but the wagon tours cannot leave the trail. The jeeps can. You are getting up very close and personal with the animals and you will get some amazing pictures. http://www.globalwildlife.com/safari-tour/private-pinz-tours

Can I assume you aren't going on a cruise? Try posting in Trip Advisor New Orleans forum, you'll get lots of ideas there too.

Assume away from the peanut gallery as much as you want. This board is to discuss PORTS and things to do there, not what cruise we are going on otherwise I would post in the cruiseline forum. My post is not any different from anyone elses.

Thanks for giving me a laugh this morning! :D

As for sitting at CDM for as long as possible, be sure to tip generously. Those servers work on tips and expect to turn those tables quickly since people are only ordering about $5 per person in food/drink.

Maybe look into doing a Mardi Gras World tour.

http://www.mardigrasworld.com/

Per my DH, I always overtip no matter where I go. If all of the tables are full like they were on my last trip, I will not try to stay at the table too long. That is why we just ate and left last time because there were people looking for an empty table to sit down. I would only occupy a table if there are other empty tables still available for guests. I am not trying to be rude to others.

Assume away from the peanut gallery as much as you want. This board is to discuss PORTS and things to do there, not what cruise we are going on otherwise I would post in the cruiseline forum. My post is not any different from anyone elses.

Thanks for giving me a laugh this morning! :D

Why would this make you laugh? It sounded like you needed ideas of what to do, I only suggested Trip Advisor as a way to help you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just glad to see you included breakfast at Mother's in your plans, you simply can't come to NOLA and not do that.

As for Sunday morning, you could also head uptown and just stroll around, its beautiful up there with lots of little shops and stuff, although they may not be open early on Sunday. Another choice is the French Market if you don't have that included in your plans. And I second the zoo suggestion!

Archived