Hotel Suggestions for Port of LA- Near Beach??

99taylorpn

My parents are booked to the panama canal in November. They need a hotel suggestion for the night before their cruise. They love staying at the beach, not sure if there is a hotel that is near the port and on the beach.

Thanks

Nope!

Beaches would primarily be north towards Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Santa Monica etc.

San Pedro is not generally known as a "beach city"

That said, the Crowne Plaza, San Pedro is a favorite among cruisers as they have a free shuttle to the port.

The DoubleTree is in the area as well

I can't think of any hotels on the beach close to the Port of LA in San Pedro. We've stayed at the Cabrillo Beach Doubletree (stay/park package) & you can get a room overlooking a nice small boat marina. Cabrillo Beach isn't too far but I wouldn't recommend it. Just like the Crown Plaza in the center of SP, the Doubletree has a free shuttle to & from the pier and I seem to recall they could take you other places near the hotel. I don't recall any restaurants near the hotel but the Ports of Call Village near the pier has several. The battleship USS Iowa is open for tours & is a short walk from the cruise terminal.

Thanks very much!! Do you know if any of the beach hotels have a shuttle to the port?

Any real "beach" hotels will not have a shuttle to the port, as far as I know. One thing they should consider is that November won't be beach weather anyway (we're not Florida here), unless we're having a fall heat spell. And it could even be rainy.

Thanks very much!! Do you know if any of the beach hotels have a shuttle to the port?

This is cumbersome, BUT, if they stay at a hotel in Santa Monica they could take a shuttle (not free) back to LAX & then get a shuttle (again, not free) to San Pedro. I DO NOT recommend this.

As Cruisin Chick said, November is not a month we (here in CA) consider to be beach weather.

Their best bet is to take Super Shuttle or Primetime from LAX to San Pedro and stay at the Crowne Plaza (probably more convenient) or the DoubleTree.

Both of those hotels offer free shuttle service to the port.

No one offers free shuttle from LAX to the San Pedro.

Actually, if they stay at a beach hotel, they don't have to return to LAX...Any shuttle company will take them from any hotel directly to the port...but it's not going to be free...or even cheap...

And, as was said, if their reason to be at a beach is to go in the water, that's not going to work either...Even if its warm, the water in November will be very cold...

BUT, if they just want near the beach for views and scenery...and walks along the waterfront, that can work...

In San Pedro (the port town and only place where hotels shuttle you free to the port), there are two good hotels- the Crown Plaza and the Doubletree...Both are near the shipping channel, as opposed to a beach per se...the CP is actually up in the Downtown San Pedro area, two or three blocks walk to the water (again, NOT a beach)...the Doubletree, OTOH, is on a more scenic small boat marina-which may be to their liking...

Otherwise, for actual beach hotels, they would be looking to stay in Santa Monica--pretty far from the port...or in Venice/Marina Del Rey...or in Redondo or Manhattan Beach...any will require a paid shuttle or taxi to the pier.

A scenic hotel closer to the pier, but on the cliffs above the ocean, is the Terranea Resort in Palos Verdes...

Good luck...

Another option, esp. if they wanted to fly into John Wayne (Orange County) airport would be to stay in a beach hotel in Newport Beach, Seal Beach or Huntington Beach area, then take a paid shuttle (like Supershuttle) to the ship. You might find some hotels in that area who would provide shuttles from that airport. All have good walking beaches, but as above, too cold for swimming that time of year.

Yes, I am sure the beach will be too cold. We live in the prairies, so the view of the ocean is a nice change. Is there a better beach community to stay in?

Santa Monica would be the best...due to the many restaurant choices, shopping, nightlife and other attractions...but it is also the most expensive and is about 30 miles from the port. I highly recommend it to those with multiple day stays. The prime hotels on the beach are Loews, Casa del Mar, Shutters on the Beach and Le Merigot...There is the fabulous Santa Monica Pier and the great walking/shopping/nightlife promenade-the Third Street Promenade plus beautiful Palisades Park on the cliffs with views of Santa Monica Beach, the Pier and the Pacific...Venice Beach and its Boardwalk are not far away...

Venice/Marina Del Rey is also a good choice, though hotels are not right on the beach, though some will have a nice view of the Marina...and the Venice Boardwalk is always very interesting, though less crowded in that time of year...

Manhattan and Redondo seem a little more "small town"...

Palos Verdes' Terranea would give them great view and is fairly close to port, but not a lot to do around there outside the hotel itself.

Those are the main beach towns in the direction of LAX from port...

In the other direction, you have Long Beach, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach...The last couple are a little distant unless one is flying in to SNA...Laguna is quite interesting...a lot of art galleries and a small town feel...but a very long way from the port-not worth it for a short stay, IMHO...Newport is an upscale community...but a bit sterile, IMO...and, again, a bit out of the way...

Long Beach is the other side of the harbor from San Pedro...it's about 6 to 8 miles away and where the Carnival ships leave from...It's got some nice hotels, many restaurant choices and some attractions...but none of the hotels are really beach hotels...all are in Downtown or on the harbor...my short, short list of hotels there is: Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance and Hyatt at the Pike...all of which are in the Downtown Convention Center core of Long Beach...do not stray too far from this area of Long Beach as its a big city and some parts are pretty seedy...

For a short overnight pre-cruise stay, though, the most convenient thing to do is still to stay at one of the two recommended San Pedro hotels...

If they were coming in more than just the night before and wanted to be able to just walk along the ocean, I would say Santa Monica. If they want a nice view of water, Marina Del Rey (they can enjoy hanging out at the marina). They can still stay in San Pedro and grab a taxi to one of those two places for a nice relaxing afternoon/evening the day before their cruise.

Archived