Cabana rentals on great stirrup cay?

jcmccarthy

I'm wondering if it is worth the $ to rent a cabana on the island when sailing in December? If not a cabana, are umbrella rentals available? We are traveling with children ranging in age from 3-14. Thanks!

I don't remember ever seeing umbrellas. They do have clamshells. We have startingrentingthose. I think that will be your best bet. The cost is $30.00 for the day and come with 2 loungers. We usually head to the beach in front of the cabanas since it is quieter. I like them becuase my hubby can stay in the shade and I can move into the sun. The other thing I like is that you can put your stuff behind the lounges and it is out of site. Also I am not sure how many slide passes are with the cabanas so you may have to buy more to keep the peace. The cabanas are a distance from the beach which may also cause difficulties if your little one enjoys the water. The teens will probably join in the games on the beach.

We are doing a family cruise for Xmas week and treating our selves to a cabana but I think we will be sorry because I am sure the grandkids (5 & 7) will be running around the island exploring but it will be fun do it once.

Look on the NCL for the map of the island so you can get a good idea of where the cabanas are located. We usually do get off on the first tender to be able to pick the clamshell we want.

Any info I can get is helpful as this is out first cruise! First tender? What time is that at? Is it first come first served?

Tendering is by tender tickets issued the morning, and hour or so before tendering begins. For an early tender, you need to have someone get in the tender ticket line. That person can get tickets for everyone in your party. The first guest tender is usually about an hour after the ship anchors. The first several tenders take crew and food, supplies onto the island. Usually after two or three hours, the tender lines are down to "open tender", meaning just walk down to the gangway and get on the next one. And....on occasion the wind and choppy water make tendering not possible and the island has to be passed. The tenders are pretty large, so tendering goes pretty fast. And the island will have a nice buffet set up (free) during mid day.

If you book a clam shell or cabana, the receipt card that they leave in your cabin is your tender ticket so no need to get a tender ticket. If your staying in a suite, you have priority tendering and the concierge takes you to the tender.

I don't remember ever seeing umbrellas. They do have clamshells. We have startingrentingthose. I think that will be your best bet. The cost is $30.00 for the day and come with 2 loungers. We usually head to the beach in front of the cabanas since it is quieter. I like them becuase my hubby can stay in the shade and I can move into the sun. The other thing I like is that you can put your stuff behind the lounges and it is out of site. Also I am not sure how many slide passes are with the cabanas so you may have to buy more to keep the peace. The cabanas are a distance from the beach which may also cause difficulties if your little one enjoys the water. The teens will probably join in the games on the beach.

We are doing a family cruise for Xmas week and treating our selves to a cabana but I think we will be sorry because I am sure the grandkids (5 & 7) will be running around the island exploring but it will be fun do it once.

Look on the NCL for the map of the island so you can get a good idea of where the cabanas are located. We usually do get off on the first tender to be able to pick the clamshell we want.

Slide passes are no longer included with the cabana passes so they won't have to worry about any fights about included passes.

I'm wondering if it is worth the $ to rent a cabana on the island when sailing in December? If not a cabana, are umbrella rentals available? We are traveling with children ranging in age from 3-14. Thanks!

The day at Great Stirrup Cay is one of the BEST days on our cruise!

NCL is upgrading the Cay all the time but, there is still very limited shade and the shady areas are away from the water. No Umbrellas available

With a 3 year old, I would get at least one clam shell, each clam shell includes two very ample loungers and a table. I have never found a way to reserve a clam shell online so, I make it a point to reserve one first day on the ship. When you arrive at the beach, your reserved clam shells will be waiting for you, if you do not like the location - we have had no problem changing.

With your family, a Cabana would be a real treat I'm sure. There are Cabana threads here in cruise critic that describe the perks of different cabana locations that will help you choose - some are more quiet, some closer to the slides, etc......

I also watched many YouTube videos showing various cruisers Great Stirrup Cay Cabanas.

You will return to the ship at the end of your beach day very relaxed and happy!

Note: The lunch buffet is very good and included. There are a few shops/vendors, they only accept cash - no ship cards or credit cards.

We rented a cabana last year and wouldn't do it again, mainly because for half the day, we were in the shade. I don't think the sun hit our deck until early afternoon (pretty much when we were ready to go back to the ship).

Personally, I would rather be lounging in the sun for the morning closer to the water. It was a hike to get to the cabanas and also to get to the water.

Tracy

Very helpful! Has anyone found the clamshell too hot?

I was there in Feb and the temp was 80 degrees while I was there. The water was cold for me. People were in the water. I also rented a 2 person float and sat on that in the water. The clam shell was perfect. I would def rent one again.

We just came home from the Gem on the Aug 3 cruise- we loved our cabana. We were secluded enough where we were able to enjoy ourselves. The cabana had an outdoor shower as well as a hammock. The $50 food/drink credit was great as well. I would definitely recommend a cabana.

Archived